Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 01:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Vented cans will never out perform a sealed system. At best you'll get 0psig in the crankcase. It'll never see vacuum.

For the FP ball bearing stock frame turbo's, it's become pretty well known they need more than just the enlarged fitting on the driver side of the valve cover.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Vented cans will never out perform a sealed system. At best you'll get 0psig in the crankcase. It'll never see vacuum.

For the FP ball bearing stock frame turbo's, it's become pretty well known they need more than just the enlarged fitting on the driver side of the valve cover.
Only if you're drilling/tapping larger fittings AND using a sealed system sure.

But a sealed system using OEM outlets not a chance.

I also do not agree, considering I've installed probably 120 FP turbos on customers cars at my shop. Opening the side hole none of them have crankcase issues afterwords.

Id gladly take $150 + shipping over a $650 catch can system.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Something we noticed that cures oil pooling up on the BB FP stuff is enlarging the oil return line to the pan. All turbos are sensitive to the way oil is returned back to the pan.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 02:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tscompusa
Only if you're drilling/tapping larger fittings AND using a sealed system sure.

But a sealed system using OEM outlets not a chance.

I also do not agree, considering I've installed probably 120 FP turbos on customers cars at my shop. Opening the side hole none of them have crankcase issues afterwords.

Id gladly take $150 + shipping over a $650 catch can system.
The STM can uses a 10an fitting, and 6an fitting and lines off the valve cover. Then 10an to the intake pipe, and 6an to the intake manifold. It does not use OEM outlets.

Not sure you enlarge the drain line. Even with a 10an return line, the ID of the 10n fittings is about the same as the stock return line.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

The FP can uses a 10an fitting, and 6an fitting and lines off the valve cover. Then 10an to the intake pipe, and 6an to the intake manifold. It does not use OEM outlets.
Well I'm just going to state the obvious below so we are on the same page:

The push in fittings are not enlarging the existing diameter of the hole they are being pushed into on the passenger side of the cover where it's most baffled. The only way to enlarge the hole is to drill it open larger. You can push a fitting in and make the end fitting work with a larger AN fitting, but at the end of the day you're still bottle necked by the smaller hole you just pushed the bigger adapter fitting in.

The rear PCV once removed all the fittings behind the valve cover and you push that fitting in, yes that one gets quite large. At least -10 from what I seen in person from it.

Only bad thing is, that ones not as well baffled as the passenger side front one that from factory connects to the intake.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Apparently you don't have any experience with the STM system. I've installed three. It's a 10an fitting pushed into the PCV port on the valve cover. And all three I've installed never have oil in them, just a bit of ethanol goop.

And yeah, no **** if you for some reason have a 10an push in fitting for the stock hole on the driver side of the cover, it's not enlarging the hole for more flow. Come on man... I think I deserve a little more credit than that.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Apparently you don't have any experience with the STM system. I've installed three. It's a 10an fitting pushed into the PCV port on the valve cover. And all three I've installed never have oil in them, just a bit of ethanol goop.

And yeah, no **** if you for some reason have a 10an push in fitting for the stock hole on the driver side of the cover, it's not enlarging the hole for more flow. Come on man... I think I deserve a little more credit than that.
I specifically stated that the rear PCV hole is of decent size if you read above. Even mentioned -10.

Also yes I'm referring mainly to the driver side. You would be surprised how many people think just because the push in fitting is larger on the outside it made the hole bigger on the inside. I know its common sense, but I've had that convo with many people who said otherwise.

Regardless our modification to the side valve cover vent cures all issues so i have no need to sell other systems. I have worked with many cars that utilize the can you're referring to. Its also how I knew the PCV side is of decent size from factory once you remove all the attachments from the cover.

Also the rear PCV does push more oil. If you leave it open to vent you will get a oil mess vs the side driver port you can leave it open and not a droplet of oil will come out because of how the baffle is designed inside.

The main culprit of the oil puddles in the turbo inlet are the return line if the driver side cars opened 5/8" which I mentioned in this thread years ago but it is lost in this long thread.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seven10
Ok, so I installed -10an lines running off my valve cover to the sealed STM catch can and ran a -10an line back to the intake. I've been driving on this setup for the past week, but I'm still getting oil in the intake. I know this is fresh oil too since I changed to Penngrade 1 when I put all this stuff in and the oil pooling is green.

I'm kind of beyond frustrated with this FP Red at this point. Anything else I should be checking before I pull the turbo and ship it to FP or get so mad I throw it off my parking garage?

Update, my FP Red went back to FP to be checked. Turns out the bearing housing was worn way out of spec. I guess you get what you pay for when buying used.

Should be back in a week or two with a new stainless CHRA and then I can see if my issues are gone or severely diminished.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 04:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Update, my FP Red went back to FP to be checked. Turns out the bearing housing was worn way out of spec. I guess you get what you pay for when buying used.

Should be back in a week or two with a new stainless CHRA and then I can see if my issues are gone or severely diminished.
Can you do me solid and post pics of the catchcan installed? You think it'd be possible to mount it anywhere else besides off the front of the trans?

And what do you think it weighs?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Can you do me solid and post pics of the catchcan installed? You think it'd be possible to mount it anywhere else besides off the front of the trans?

And what do you think it weighs?
Once my car is back I can. You could probably fab a mount for it to put it on the firewall or maybe where the fuse box is if you've relocated that. I'd say without the lines it probably weighs 1-2lbs max.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct, I've learned this the hard way as well with used turbos. Never again! You're problems will be solved after the new CHRA and fresh rebuild I am sure of it. Your oil pooling wasn't from crankcase pressure issues.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did my crank case elimination today! 3 - 5/8 holes tapped to 1/2 npt.

The following users liked this post:
Kevin Troy (Dec 15, 2017)
Old Dec 10, 2017, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought that drilling and installing a vent fitting near the end of the intake cam, drivers side towards the rear of the car is a recipe for oil in the catch can?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had several 4G63 valve covers. And not one of them had oil in catch can with this mod.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Is there any relationship between Crankcase pressure, sludge formation and the oil grade used ?

Quick Reply: for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues