Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Brake pads freezing to brake rotors in sub-freezing weather?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pads freezing to brake rotors in sub-freezing weather?

Has anyone else that lives in cold climates and experiences snow had this issue? It's happened to me already 4-5 times this winter where the brake rotor and the pads are somehow freezing together? When I try to start driving, I can feel the car start torque'ing, but the wheels don't want to spin. I know this cannot be good for the drivetrain and/or clutch.

Is there anything you can put on the surface of the rotors to prevent snow/water from freezing between the pads and rotors?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:42 PM

I just had this happen for the first time this morning and they kept refreezing every time I parked it. I'd love to know the answer if anyone has it!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had this happen to me last winter. I guess, one way to prevent this is to keep the car in 1st gear rather than in neutral and pull up the ebrake. That will sqeeze the pads to the rotors and when it's cold, it will create condensation and later freezes up. Try that and see if it helps.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvolNinja
I have had this happen to me last winter. I guess, one way to prevent this is to keep the car in 1st gear rather than in neutral and pull up the ebrake. That will sqeeze the pads to the rotors and when it's cold, it will create condensation and later freezes up. Try that and see if it helps.
Don't you always keep your eBrake up when you park??

Help me understand here....
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:02 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mx4life85
Don't you always keep your eBrake up when you park??

Help me understand here....
He's saying not to use the e-brake and to keep the car in gear when parked. Good advice.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
He's saying not to use the e-brake and to keep the car in gear when parked. Good advice.
Gotcha. I'll have to try that next time we have some snow/ice.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

its fine, just ease the clutch when your first driving off, its not hurting your drivetrain, it only takes a little gas to break the brakes loose but its not hurting anything,
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4bangn
its fine, just ease the clutch when your first driving off, its not hurting your drivetrain, it only takes a little gas to break the brakes loose but its not hurting anything,
We must be talking about different situations because this sounds like total mis-information.

When my brakes literally freeze up, I cannot 'just ease the clutch.' You can feel the drivetrain engaging, but the wheels are not spinning. The power from the engine is being transfered to the drivetrain which is trying to spin, but cannot.

Not to mention, it does not take 'just a little gas' to break the wheels free when this has happened to me. I had 3 wheels break free, but one wheel was still frozen in place. I was stuck doing circles in the parking lot at work until it broke free.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

is there some kind of de-icer that you can use?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig King
We must be talking about different situations because this sounds like total mis-information.

When my brakes literally freeze up, I cannot 'just ease the clutch.' You can feel the drivetrain engaging, but the wheels are not spinning. The power from the engine is being transfered to the drivetrain which is trying to spin, but cannot.

Not to mention, it does not take 'just a little gas' to break the wheels free when this has happened to me. I had 3 wheels break free, but one wheel was still frozen in place. I was stuck doing circles in the parking lot at work until it broke free.
That actually be funny to watch....but I am sure you were not laughing.

Living in vegas i dont think i will ever encounter this...but maybe keeping some areosol based cleaner thats safe of the area your spraying around or Anti-Ice spray. MAF spray might work and dries pretty fast even when its cold. Brake cleaner is bad for some paints.

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...er-280917.aspx
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:01 PM

Would MAF spray leave a film on the rotors? I've never used it before. It freezes pretty good, I couldn't even get it to break free in reverse, I had to go forward a bit. And I park in my garage in gear with no e-brake on, so that solution probabaly won't work.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MAF is film free..drys clean, But will break free some brake dust.

I also remember there is a Lock Anti-ice spray that can be bought in a parts store...but if i recall it has a lubricant in it.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

I park my car in my garage at home overnight, but this happened when I was at work.

I'm going to look into some of these aerosol de-icer sprays.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've driven in some pretty rough wintry weather and I've had my Evo brakes freeze but never past the point where they just went pop as I started driving off. I never use the parking brake if I have driven in snow.

I've had brakes on other cars freeze to where the only fix was to dump a bucket of hot water on the stuck wheel - not much help if you don't have a bucket and hot water.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BiFfMaN
That actually be funny to watch....but I am sure you were not laughing.

My co-workers found it amusing as well.

Quick update - When practical, I've been trying not to use my parking brake and just leaving my car in gear. So far, knock on wood, I haven't frozen my rotors to my pads yet.

Then again, we just got another 8" of snow last night...

Quick Reply: Brake pads freezing to brake rotors in sub-freezing weather?