Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

planning on doing a mirage to evo 6 conversion have a couple Q's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
planning on doing a mirage to evo 6 conversion have a couple Q's

i have a 2000 4 door mirage and an evo 8 engine, trans, transfercase, ecu and engine bay accessories. i know that the rear crossmember and everything else will just bolt on except the transfercase.

now my questions are: what would i have to do in order to run the evo 8 unit instead of buying a hard to find IV-VI transfer case.

where do you guys recommend that i buy parts from as in a rear subframe, axels, misc evo 6 parts, etc. im having a hard time finding anything over here in the us!

so far my best option seems to be converting the car over to evo 8 parts, does anyone know what other evolution 8 parts will bolt right into the mirage chassis?

thanks in advance guys!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

you should try searching..there is a current build thread by someone who is doing the same conversion. Its recent so it should be to hard to find
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by milford
you should try searching..there is a current build thread by someone who is doing the same conversion. Its recent so it should be to hard to find
if the thread that your referring to is archibabes, its about him converting the EXTERIOR to an evo 6 he hasn't touched the drivetrain. my question is about the drivetrain and swapping in an evolution 8 transfer case, which to my knowledge of "searching" does not exist....
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

there is a IV transfer case on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...item2a0d86a3a1
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

google...try it.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

milford you havent contributed anything to this thread, please stop posting in it to get your post count higher. i have googled and searched and came up with nothing other then "you have to fabricate your own brackets i think if you want to swap transfer cases". i would not have posted this thread without searching google, ebay, etc.

overboostedevo: thanks for the reply, i saw that on ebay already but im trying to run as many replaceable evo 8 parts as possible. if i cant find anyone with any knowledge on the swap then ill settle and buy that unit, but i at least have to give it a shot.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
what model chassis do you have? CJxx ? CLxx?

I have a CL2A and i use an evo 3 rear subframe.

what do you mean "rear crossmember" ?

I have an evo 6 LSD transfer case you could buy off me, but i'll have to ship from NZ. Flick me a PM. This will mean you can use your stock driveshaft from the transfer to the rear diff. Otherwise you might have to mix the front of the evo8 driveshaft (to mate the transfer case) and use the back of the mirage driveshaft.?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

sorry, bad habit of calling the subframe a crossmember.

its a CJ4A chassis.

the evo 6 and 8 units both look like they are the same length so i dont know what driveshaft id have to use?

i'll let u know if i end up needing a t-case thanks for the heads up. oh and you dont have any evo IV-VI rear subframes lying around do you?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a fun project. Sorry to say I don't have any personal knowledge about this type of build. I would imagine that anyone would have to make a custom bracket. If you make it your self or have someone else make it for you is going to have to be made. I would go rwd spin the motor 180°. That would be cool and a little more common done
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TigOLDBiTTies
sorry, bad habit of calling the subframe a crossmember.
its a CJ4A chassis.
the evo 6 and 8 units both look like they are the same length so i dont know what driveshaft id have to use?
i'll let u know if i end up needing a t-case thanks for the heads up. oh and you dont have any evo IV-VI rear subframes lying around do you?
is it 4wd standard? or front wheel drive?

i'm pretty sure that the evo 4-6 subframes dont fit.
Mine was standard in 4wd and my rear subframe is the same as an evo3.

My question is why do you want to convert to an evo when it's 4door? how much weight will you save?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:41 PM

Your going to need the EVO IV-VI Transfer case. Sell the one you have. Go to Lancerregister.com it'll come from the UK but they'll have one. Or get one from RSmike. It's that or have a custom driveshaft made or possibly mix and match an evo 8/9 driveshaft with an evo 4/5/6 driveshaft to make one that works. That may not even work.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are convertingit to FWD it won't matter which you use. Going AWD you will need the Evo 4 one. The 8 TC simply is placed differently and will not work on the Mirage chassis. All intervals should be interchangeable between the two styles.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

thanks alot! that should be easy for shep to do.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BCspeed34
If you are convertingit to FWD it won't matter which you use. Going AWD you will need the Evo 4 one. The 8 TC simply is placed differently and will not work on the Mirage chassis. All intervals should be interchangeable between the two styles.
evo 4-6 will work if it's 4wd as standard. Evo 7-9 have different splines on the driveshaft (that plugs into the transfer).
If it's FWD as standard, AFAIK you have to put an evo 4-6 floor pan into the rear.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:44 AM

Hey guys I have a 99' mirage and im thinking about transferring over the evolution VI engine, trans, and if I can find it the transfer case. I was wondering if you could give some advice on the project and if you would be able to help me out with anything else I would need that would be helpful, thanks.

Quick Reply: planning on doing a mirage to evo 6 conversion have a couple Q's