Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATP'S GARRETT GTX3582R product review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
No the WG has not been touched since.

The car has been with the owner as he had not been in the seat for a while and when he first drove it he said it felt great!

Then a few days later he came by the shop and said it felt slow and needed more power

We're swamped again at the shop so not sure as to when we may get it back in to try out a few more things to keep the boost pressure up.

We did have a scheduled race to attend a week or so ago but it was rained out so we will wait for a TNT day when the weather is good.
I know what you mean about 'need more power'!
It's like, I'll do a few upgrades and the car feels great. Then I get used to it and need more! I think I'm addicted to boost
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just to bump this, i was bored last night and figured i'd shoot ATP an email, i linked them to this thread, and asked about the boost taper/lack of power issue.

this is what i got in return

"Hi Peter,

Thanks for your message.

When we released these turbos, we were concerned that we might end up with too high of a pressure in the actuator and people whoe set up their cars with these turbos might not get a low enough "base" pressure from the actuator. We're learning that people want to run very high boost pressures on these turbos so we recently added the options to request these turbos with "high pressure" actuators. It's a checkbox that can be checked on when ordering these turbos and the units will be assembled with the higher base pressure in the actuator."

i then asked what spring they had in the actuator and they said its the 12-13psi spring and i asked them what spring patrick used, i got this in return

"We used 1 and same actuator on all units shipped up to this point and it's the 12-13 psi unit.

That is the one they've got, yes."

but i just read through the thread again and it was mentioned that FFTEC used the high pressure actuator..

if anybody is interested i can forward them the email

i really wish there was more testing of this!!!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Just a quick update the owner of the car is heading to the track this afternoon to see what the car will do at it's current power level.

Hopefully he can get a good pass in...........it's been a while since he's been on the drag strip.

Once we sift through the data and see the mph he has already been complaining on needing more power so things will be addressed there after.....
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice!

Keep us posted
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Quick update:

Had to wait for an oil-down clean-up and made 1 easy roll-out pass to make sure the RX-7 wheels weren't rubbing the rear lower control arms (first time out on them for him as well and he was a bit nervous about the clearance)

- 60' = 2.xx
- Lifted in all gears
- Trapped = 128mph

He's gunna launch it next run and also NLTS so we should see those 130+ mphs as expected.....
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Quick update:

Had to wait for an oil-down clean-up and made 1 easy roll-out pass to make sure the RX-7 wheels weren't rubbing the rear lower control arms (first time out on them for him as well and he was a bit nervous about the clearance)

- 60' = 2.xx
- Lifted in all gears
- Trapped = 128mph

He's gunna launch it next run and also NLTS so we should see those 130+ mphs as expected.....

What about the second run? Did it blow up or something?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Probably went back to the future
Old Mar 31, 2011, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

2nd run????
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry guys didn't get an update from him until very very late last night and we've been in a meeting all morning.

He was having an issue with the NLTS set-up on the AEM and kept having issues with 2nd gear so he didn't attempt the 2-3/3-4 so lift-shifting and basically a bunch of passes with different issues each pass.

However on the brighter side he was able to still get 132mph out of it best 60' was a 1.7x with the best et being a meager 11.1x

Still not doubt in my mind that on a good clean run it will run well into the 10's at right about 135mph.

Car didn't blow up
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry guys didn't get an update from him until very very late last night and we've been in a meeting all morning.

He was having an issue with the NLTS set-up on the AEM and kept having issues with 2nd gear so he didn't attempt the 2-3/3-4 so lift-shifting and basically a bunch of passes with different issues each pass.

However on the brighter side he was able to still get 132mph out of it best 60' was a 1.7x with the best et being a meager 11.1x

Still not doubt in my mind that on a good clean run it will run well into the 10's at right about 135mph.

Car didn't blow up
sorry to ask if its all ready been done, but what fuel and PSI are you running to net 132 mph? thnx
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
sorry to ask if its all ready been done, but what fuel and PSI are you running to net 132 mph? thnx
No worries glad to answer with what info i have!

He hasn't come in today for us to review the logs for exact specs but it was tuned on E85 and spiked to 36psi but really only held 30psi i hope i included that in the post w/ the graph a few pages back
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Another update:

Customer went to the CMI (California Modified Import) race yesterday and was able to get some more seat time with the new set-up and was able to run some respectable times right on par with what we would expect based off the weight and HP on our dyno.

Best 60' again a meager 1.7x but with 133 MPH traps and 10.6-10.7 ET's

We need to look into his 2 step settings when he gets back to us again as the car is bogging when the clutch is fully released killing his 60' times so i'm sure with a nice 1.5x 60' we should def see a low 10 sec pass and with more boost a 9.99 or less would put a huge smile on his face.

Nice things was that George from ATP was actually at the track to see the results and has a higher pressure spring for us to help keep the boost up to where we'd like

If i get the slip and/or vids i will update again and/or start a thread in the drag section.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 01:34 PM

Another update:

Customer went to the CMI (California Modified Import) race yesterday and was able to get some more seat time with the new set-up and was able to run some respectable times right on par with what we would expect based off the weight and HP on our dyno.

We need to look into his 2 step settings when he gets back to us again as the car is bogging when the clutch is fully released killing his 60' times so i'm sure with a nice 1.5x 60' we should def see a low 10 sec pass and with more boost a 9.99 or less would put a huge smile on his face.

Nice things was that George from ATP was actually at the track to see the results and has a higher pressure spring for us to help keep the boost up to where we'd like

If i get the slip and/or vids i will update again and/or start a thread in the drag section.

Tell him congrats Pat seems like you guys are holding things down for all the people saying your dyno reads like a dynojet Get the spring in there retune it work on the 2 step then get him to go to a tnt with you sean and the guys so he can run down close to your times
Old Apr 4, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Another update:

Nice results PAT - not too shabby, Garrett Ball Bearing - Bolton Turbo with a Billet Wheel... Thats producing the goods...

Well Done!

Old Apr 4, 2011, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

nice. this mite b my next turbo haha!

Quick Reply: ATP'S GARRETT GTX3582R product review