Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil consumption issue?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2011, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil consumption issue?

To start off the engine is a freshly built 2.1 with around 3,000 miles on the clock. It has Wiseco 1400hd 9.7:1 compression pistons and MAP heavy duty rods. I had the block and head resurfaced by a machine shop who is somewhat local who have a very good reputation. The head has Supertech Valves "Stock size" and retainers, valve guides, supertech dual springs, and new valve stem seals. Tuned by AMS on a 64mm Fp red.

Now the issue,

Recently I decided to switch the map to the 91 tune. I drove the car and I have a habit of checking the oil every time I fill up with gas, especially now that its a new build. I noticed recently that every time I would fill up while on the 91 tune it would be somewhat low. "maybe a pint". I topped the oil off just to the full mark and continued driving the car. On 91 the car doesn't smoke. Just the occasional black smoke from running a bit rich. No smoke at idle or at WOT. Also no oil in the catch can. If I were to not add oil in between fill-ups I would say approximately every 500-700 miles the car would be about a quart low.

Now here's why I'm confused. I switched back to the E-85 tune. When running E-85 in the same exact situation when checking the oil between fill ups the dipstick will still show full. I even went 2 tanks without adding oil and the dipstick will still be at the full mark. Being obvious if the car is burning or consuming oil on 91 than it would likely do the same thing on E-85. Is it possible that on E-85 I am replacing the consumed oil with E-85? This problem has me worried as I don't want to shorten the lifespan of my new motor and the investment in general. Anyone who has any ideas feel free to chime in. If you need to know anything about the car let me know.

Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How much of your oil is oil?

something to think about.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 03:46 PM

bump!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you break the motor in on non-sythetic oil and what kind are you using now..If this checks out, could it be your running it too rich on your tune and washing down the cylinder walls, so the rings aren't seating? If you have new oils stem seals--then you should be good to go..
Old Sep 2, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with R/T Ernie you may want to look into that

I would also advice doing a leak down test to find out how healthy the motor is.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What I'm basically saying is... your engine is consuming oil all the time.

the 92 octane vaporizes and leaves your crankcase ventilation and is reburnt. The E85 combines with any moisture in the crankcase (especially on cold starts) and is no longer volatile. Since the alcohol is hygroscopic, you end up with basically water in your oil... adding to the volume you drain out.

Your rings aren't sealing, your turbo seals are blown, or your valve seals are leaking.

Most likely its your recently rebuilt shortblock. Unfortunately.

Who assembled the engine? What kind of ring compressor did they use? What were your ring end gaps set to? What was your piston to wall clearance?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I built the engine. We're using Wiseco HD pistons with Howard Rods. I can't remember the ring gap off the top of my head but the piston to wall clearance was .0035". Car was broken in with conventional non-synthetic oil for 250 miles and was put on the dyno at ams for a 91 tune and a e85 tune. The first two WOT pulls saw several counts of knock due to the high pressure wastegate being tightened all the way down from the previous owner of the fp red (what blew the stock motor in one pull). Chris Black thought it was the boost controller so he bypassed it and did another pull which saw 40+psi untuned and saw some knock again before I convinced him it was the wastegate. I adjusted it all the way out to 25 psi and the car continued to make 530 awhp at 34 psi on a dynojet on e85. Engines with clearances on the looser side are going to burn a little bit of oil but will make more power due to less friction. Not to mention side skirt wear will be kept at a minimum.

Top ring is .017" and second ring is .020"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtZ-A4h9kQk

Last edited by bostonhatcher; Sep 2, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:57 PM

I'm going to be doing a leak down test sometime this week. I'll post back the results.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:08 PM

im thinking maybe its the PCV.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:17 AM

Evo vii using oil and gunk in radiator cap

Hi all, first time user so hopefully I'm not posting this in the wrong area. My evo vii has always used about 1L of oil over 3000km, have never been overly concerned about it as the car doesn't blow blue smoke. Recently I've noticed white gunk under the radiator cap every 2 weeks or so. Getting worried about it as I believe it could be the head gasket. Though looking at the plugs, dip stick and oil cap there are no signs of water or problems, could it be something minor that I'm overlooking?
So
1) is it normal to be using 1litre of oil over 3000km
2) any ideas on where oil could be getting in the radiator.

Thanks