Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

honeycomb on front of MAF???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honeycomb on front of MAF???

Wondering if anyone knows the what that actual perpose of the honeycomb mesh on the front of the mass aiflow sensor is and how important is it the previous owner of my car slightly dammaged it and I am having some issues with my car and want to start with the first thing that I found that could pertain to my issues. thanks for all the help.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

its only a protective cover... i've seen cars with it removed running fine...
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by btmboards
Wondering if anyone knows the what that actual perpose of the honeycomb.... the previous owner of my car slightly dammaged it and I am having some issues with my car and want to start with the first thing that I found that could pertain to my issues.....
What issues are you experiencing exactly? Do you have any pics that show the "slight" damage to the honeycomb?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Its there to straighten out the air to the sensor. I actually removed mine about a week ago. Only thing that changed was under boost it was about .4 richer. Nothing that a quick change to my afr map couldn't fix
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I believe its there to straightin out the incoming air for more acurate reading for the maf. I would try and fix the bent ones as much as possible.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Get a new honey comb! or go SD. Its not just a cover its to help straighten out the air from what I was told. If your running enough power where the MAF would become a problem then go stand alone or SD.

I carefully took mine apart, sanded the inside where the honeycomb was, then put a light layer of plastic adhesive compound, and lightly coated the outside of the comb, then slide it bad together. Then set a couple phone books let dry, walla.

I ran 30-32 psi on pump like this with no problem. never got around to the 40 psi e85 tune.

Edit.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'll sell ya my maf... i just went sd last month... it has 35k on it give or take... lemme know
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

its not damaged bad I could probobly take it out and straighten it just looks like mayby someone slightly bumped it and now it is slowly folding in on itself in two small areas. It has been that way at least since I knoticed it when I instaled my new intake about 2 1/2 weeks ago.
The car has never had any problems running but then I let to go on a small trip yesterday afternoon, drove fine for an hour or so then when I got on the main freeway which is a pretty fair hill for several miles, right when I got up to ruffly 70mph it started chocking itself out. black smoke out of the pipe. Under power I cant really get over 4k. idles perfect and cruses fine at low speeds and light throttle.
car only has 3" turbo back, intake and bov. Order wideband 1 1/2weeks ago but still waiting on it so I dont know my afr numbers yet
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Im not going to just jump straight to buying one yet but if I end up needing one pm me with a price
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by btmboards
Wondering if anyone knows the what that actual perpose of the honeycomb mesh on the front of the mass aiflow sensor is and how important is......
The theory behind the honeycomb, or laminar flow screen in your MAF sensor is that it straightens the incoming airflow into different layers. Just how damaged is the screen on your MAF sensor anyway? I have been able to straighten the foils with a dinky, flatblade screwdriver such as the one used for tightening the screws on the temples of Ray-Ban sunglasses.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

give me just a bit Im working on posting a pic right now
Old Mar 6, 2011, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

hopfully this picture will work
Attached Thumbnails honeycomb on front of MAF???-100_5626.jpg  
Old Mar 6, 2011, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

it definatly seems to be getting worse now that there is more airflow being pulled through it
Old Mar 6, 2011, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
^^ Thats a little too much to fix. Just take it off.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow.... i'm no expert but i would put money on it that this is really restricting your airflow... either cut her free... or buy from me... lol that honeycomb is really messed up... and if your right and it is collapsing on its own then its going to be sucked into your turbo eventually if pieces havent yet...

be safe... cut it out... if it runs like poo... hit me up

Quick Reply: honeycomb on front of MAF???