Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another "What's that sound?!" Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Another "What's that sound?!" Thread

I've spent the last few days scouring the forum, googling and youtubing until I felt like my eyes were gonna bleed and still have not found a definitive answer.

I've been getting this sound like a chain being drug over a chain link fence really fast from my transmission. It occurs most at the top of my revs and during deceleration. When I push the clutch in it will still make the sound but only for a few seconds. I'm pretty sure it's the throw out bearing but I've never heard it this bad. I figured I would ask the community for their insight. I also get a clunk shifting into reverse. Lastly I get some grinding coming out of 3rd and out of 4th but no noise, I can just feel it in the shifter.

Listen closely to the top of my revs (best heard at :37) for the chain sound and the clunk in reverse can be best heard at :58 and 1:01. A little more info... as inaccurate as virtual dynos can be, I did just get tuned and did 475whp and 437tq. Mods are in my sig. I'm also on a stock transmission that was rebuilt about 2k miles ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t2EZlmcdss

Last edited by GrnEVO; Mar 21, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Bump... need this info
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Wha clutch do you have? Does it make any noise when your sitting still in neutral with the clutch not engaged?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

i am doubting if the noise you are getting is from transmission if you are stationary and in neutral reving. actually from the video atleast it sounds like a high frequency vibration or even sorta sounds like your bov is set too soft so its releasing pressure too quickly...

cant comment about the reverse gear noise, first time i heard that.

to be honest you may not get alot of feedback with this video. if i were you i'd get the car on a lift or on all four jacks then neutral rev it to track down that noise. maybe an experienced evo shop can diagnose it.

Last edited by mifesto; Mar 22, 2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoDom
Wha clutch do you have? Does it make any noise when your sitting still in neutral with the clutch not engaged?
I've got an Exedy Twin HD in there. I know the clutch isn't the issue. It's a loud metal on metal vibration when revving and during deceleration.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
i am doubting if the noise you are getting is from transmission if you are stationary and in neutral reving. actually from the video atleast it sounds like a high frequency vibration or even sorta sounds like your bov is set too soft so its releasing pressure too quickly...

cant comment about the reverse gear noise, first time i heard that.

to be honest you may not get alot of feedback with this video. if i were you i'd get the car on a lift or on all four jacks then neutral rev it to track down that noise. maybe an experienced evo shop can diagnose it.
I might be prone to agreeing with you about the bov theory but the sound is a metal on metal vibration. I shimmed the BOV spring thinking it was it but that mae the spring too tight and she wouldn't open, so I know it's not that. I might have to take a better video tonight and try to pinpoint the sound better. Thanks though
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
u sure your exhaust isnt touching anything metal underneath the frame?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
u sure your exhaust isnt touching anything metal underneath the frame?
Yeah I completely removed the cross members and have the dp wrapped and can still fit my hand over the top between it and the oil pan. I'll take a better video when I get home and take a good look under the car for any loose bolts, washers, etc.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
another thing to check is the heat shield above where the downpipe flange to test pipe flange is, the heat shield in the "tunnel" sometimes is prone down the road of touching the exhaust pipe so that could possibly be it
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

I'll check that too... thanks
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Would also recommend changing the tranny fluid and see if u find anything in there, and take out ur plugs and check maybe with a magnet inside ur cylinders just to be on the safe side.
gl! Iam curiouse to know whats causing this.

edit: Hopefuly those would help!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...acking-up.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...le-idling.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-question.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oise-help.html

Last edited by detroit pistins; Mar 23, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks again detroit. I was talking to my tuner yesterday and he mentioned that he has heard this exact same sound when a flywheel is installed incorrectly and it starts to unbolt itself. I'm gonna check every possible nu, bolt, washer, shield, etc that I can and if I don't find anything, I'll have to pull the tranny and see what's going on in there.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Crazy as it may seem, I found the clinking noise. I was about 2 minutes from dropping the transmission because I couldn't find anything out of place. Then I had my neighbor come over for another set of eyes and ears. Turned the car on, got under her then gave a few revs, I could hear that the sound wasn't coming from the transmission but closer to the driveshaft. My neighbor got under there and after a few revs...... he found the dust cover for the driveshaft input had worked it's way loose and was bouncing off the bolts on the driveshaft. I couldn't get the cover back on so I cut her off and now all is quiet. Thank god I didn't have to go any further. So there we have it.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
lol u got lucky! glad u got her!
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks man! It was funny that my neighbor and I were just talking about looking over the small stuff and jumping into huge things first. Glad I didn't make that mistake, lol

Search this Thread