Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff clutch plates installed incorrectly from factory

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flabber
Can someOne provide me with the parts numbers for the shims for the side bearings ,i have to reshim my diff
MB241903
This is what I got when I looked it up.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribing
Old Mar 23, 2015, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Just did this it took about 3 hours. Could probably do it in less time now that I have done it. I used dia queen fluid and have no noises.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 03:58 AM

Need help

I read the whole forum and sorry if I missed on reading something but I did the 12 disc, and after noticed a clunking noise when turning only, in gear or clutch pressed, still present when going 15-20 mph on a turn but not as bad at lower speeds. And when I say u can hear it, it's pretty hard to miss the noise as to it kinda seems embarrassing driving it a little when turning cuz it's more on the loud side. I use the amsoil gear oil. I did the repair myself, I am a mechanic and this is my first evo diff but I've done one on another vehicle before. It seems like something in the spider gears but I can figure out exactly what. I'm gonna try using diaqueen oil and see if that helps since the people who do use it say they don't have any noise. I did take it apart a second time just to make sure if I haven't don't something correctly but everything was ok. Here's a video

Last edited by Spòóf-7; Apr 15, 2015 at 03:40 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 06:15 AM

This is something to think about when buying an evo
Old Apr 13, 2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by biohzrd
This is something to think about when buying an evo
So it's normal being that loud? When people would mention it I thought it'd be a quiet clunking sound, but I swapped out the rear diff fluid with the diaqueen from the dealer and made it a little better, not as loud. Will drive it more through out the week and see what happens. I'm also getting a tune for it at Ivey Tune in NJ and I'll ask them about it incase if I missed any info.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey there, I am no expert, but I have redone several stock rear diffs, and installed two different aftermarket ones. All with varying amounts of click or clunk. None of them have ever sounded like that. To be honest the first thing that jumped to my mind listening to that is that you have something else clicking or rubbing, not the diff, that is giving you that sound. Something that got moved or changed during the work. However, if you are certain its coming from the rear, then that should be unlikely.

If you can see if you can recreate the sound with the car jacked up in the rear. Lock one wheel with a pry bar, and have a friend forcibly turn the other wheel to engage, by force, the diff plates. Essentially proving or isolating the sound of the diff and what should be the diff plates skipping over each other. I would expect a sound from plates that have never worn even a bit, but not that sound. Maybe the camera audio is fooling me, but that is my 2 cents based on all the noises I have had with my evo.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by fireroasted
Hey there, I am no expert, but I have redone several stock rear diffs, and installed two different aftermarket ones. All with varying amounts of click or clunk. None of them have ever sounded like that. To be honest the first thing that jumped to my mind listening to that is that you have something else clicking or rubbing, not the diff, that is giving you that sound. Something that got moved or changed during the work. However, if you are certain its coming from the rear, then that should be unlikely.

If you can see if you can recreate the sound with the car jacked up in the rear. Lock one wheel with a pry bar, and have a friend forcibly turn the other wheel to engage, by force, the diff plates. Essentially proving or isolating the sound of the diff and what should be the diff plates skipping over each other. I would expect a sound from plates that have never worn even a bit, but not that sound. Maybe the camera audio is fooling me, but that is my 2 cents based on all the noises I have had with my evo.
i have had it on the lift where i had one wheel locked with the prybar and turned the opposite wheel and nothing, rotating the rear wheels by hand both forward and then backwards, still nothing. also drove it around today and the sound is only present when in gear and turning. its definitely coming from the rear diff, and not a axle or wheel bearing, etc. when i removed it the second time, everything was in the same correct spot and no damage on anything... i feel like its something with the spider gears and/or lsd disc's, and i don't think the drive gear or pinion could be at fault because then the noise should always be present but nothing can come to my head as to why its that loud.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:03 AM

Drove it this morning and turning when the rear diff fluid is still cold, aprox. 50*F, it didn't make the noise at all but as soon as I got of the highway after a 35min drive it came back.... You think maybe the additive would make a difference or if I should even try that?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
My 12-plate Weir makes similar, but not as frequent, sounds as yours Spoof. It only does it when fully warm, turning left, and at parking lot speeds. It took ~1yr and 3k miles before mine started. I have flushed fluid and there was nothing out of the ordinary. I was thinking of trying a friction modifier just to see if the sound goes away or stays. I really just need to drop the diff and inspect everything.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
mine did this in the very few hundred first miles. afterwards its no more. did you soak the plates in the diaqueen before stacking them?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Sounds normal. My restacked diff is pretty loud..
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

I Used diaqueen fluid and have no noises. I recommend changing the fluid to diaqueen
Old Apr 14, 2015, 03:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
I run Diaqueen and Spoof7 says he switched back to it as well.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by terror rising
I run Diaqueen and Spoof7 says he switched back to it as well.

Yes I have soaked the disc's before assembling it back together. Also yes I have just recently switched my fluid to diaqueen. Got the same results but seems to be a little better. But does anyone have recommendations if I should add a friction modifier additive, or just wait a couple 100 miles? Curious

Quick Reply: Rear Diff clutch plates installed incorrectly from factory