Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Low speed clicking from left front wheel/trans ( not hub bearing or axle related)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low speed clicking from left front wheel/trans ( not hub bearing or axle related)

I have a low speed clicking sound coming from the left front wheel. It only happens in first gear, at all speeds in first. The faster I go in just first through a lot, I hear it. As soon as I shift to second the noise is gone.

Although I knew it wasn't, I changed out both the front axles and hub bearings to no avail.

Pretty damn sure its coming from the trans, and ideas on what this could be? TIA
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same thing,happened right after installed my new clutch and trans. im about 95% sure its the TOB. cause when i push in the pedal the noise goes away. Been doing it since april and ive had adverse effects.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Another possibility is a gear tooth missing on 1st.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Another possibility is a gear tooth missing on 1st.

I guess i'm pulling her down...damnit.

I cant duplicate the noise on a lift either, has to have load on it for some reason.

But I am SURE that the noise disappears as soon as I go to second...

I have an Exedy twin, with a Shep stg 3 trans fwiw.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

EDIT: Come to think of it the best way to describe the noise is kinda like a brake pad rubbing on a slotted rotor...( this is not the case for sure) but an idea of what it sounds like.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I drove a car (not an Evo) with a gear tooth missing and there was nothing subtle about it. It was a dull knocking but very noticeable.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any rocks in your tires tread? You never know.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

It's not a rock in the tire for sure...I wish.

I guess i'll drain the trans fluid and see if I notice anything out of place. I wish my camera didn't break or I would post a damn vid.

I hate dropping the trans...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

The more I try to duplicate the noise, I am starting to realize it will not do it unless I accelerate with the gas pedal. Just coasting in 1st it does not always do it. Blip the gas, it comes alive.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I drove a car (not an Evo) with a gear tooth missing and there was nothing subtle about it. It was a dull knocking but very noticeable.
hmmm,this might be my problem. should the noise go away when the clutch pedal is pushed in?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

I'd think there should be some noise anytime the car is moving in 1st gear. However, it would get much louder when the engine is putting power to the wheels or wheels to engine. It might be so quiet with the clutch in that you don't hear it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates on the clicking noise, i just started having it as wellafter my clutch was changed.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Same problem, Need H E L P

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I have this same problem, & there was never a solution found on this one.
i have an 05 GSR SSL and have been having this knock sound in 1st gear for months now(could be longer bcuz with Windows down and music up, u can't really hear anything.
I bought the car in May 2017 with a blown Transmission that couldn't be rebuilt, so I bought a used tranny from English that they had just rebuilt.
English yanked the trans again in April '18 for a new clutch. It was after the new clutch when it started making the sound.
I've read that it could be a missing tooth on 1st gear, but what's the likelihood of that happening with a new trans(now has about 38k) & I rarely ever get over 5.5k rpms & would consider myself a very skilled/seasoned driver. English is the only ones to have touched the new Trans.
One thing to note is that when I bought the car, it had old Megan Coilovers, so I bought new ones but couldn't install the Fr. Driver's side bcuz the lower strut bolts were rust welded into the knuckle. During this time English did the previously mentioned work. I recently started thinking about it & am confused as to how they dropped the tranny twice w/o removing the front Strut!?
Anyways, I definitely hear the knock in 1st gear & as soon as I up shift the sound goes away. I sometimes hear it in higher gears, but not as predominant as I can in 1st.
Is there anything else that could be causing this sound? Input Shaft Bearing? CV Axle?
Idk how long the warranty is on ER's rebuilt trannys but I may be taking it back to their shop.