Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

car wont crank! fuel pump turns on but no crank. helpe asap

Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's definitely your starter that's the problem. I have the exact same problem with mine. Every time I run I car really hard or for over extended periods of time, the starter gets heat soaked from the turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe, engine, etc. My mechanic explained that this causes the components in the starter to actually become unable to transfer enough power to turn the flywheel. Whenever this happens to me, I will hear the starter relay click but the car won't crank. I end up having to put the car in gear without the e-brake on and get out the push the car a little. As long as car budges a little, you will hear the fuel pump relay and fuel pump prime for a split second. Then I get in the car and it starts up right away. The reason this work is because with you pushing the car while in gear, you're rotating the teeth on the flywheel into a different position that takes less torque and power for the starter to engage and turn. If you're lucky and on a slight incline, just make like when you're kick starting the car and kick the clutch, and it should do the same thing. When this first starts happening, it will be once in a long while. But, as time goes on, it will happen more and more frequently. I've just been too lazy and cheap to change out my starter. LOL So, it's either wait for the starter to cool down a bit or get out and push if you don't want to change out the starter.

At first, i was getting all frustrated trying to trace down the problem like you are by checking out the wiring, alarm system, crank sensor etc. If I let the car sit for a bit, everything would be fine. I coudln't figure it out for the longest time. One, time when my mechanic rode with my on a car cruise, he saw what happens and figured it out. Hope this helps you out.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Pull the start wire at the starter (spade connector) and check for 12 volts when the ignition switch is turned to start. If no 12 volts then it is something in the circuit between the ignition switch and the starter (ignition switch, clutch switch, starter relay). If yes 12 volts, it is starter, power cable from battery to starter, or battery.
The following users liked this post:
thomas.featsent (Dec 3, 2022)
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My friends car started tonight without making any changes...... i am however, still wondering why this happened in the first place so that i will know the next time it happens...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepy_rps13
It's definitely your starter that's the problem. I have the exact same problem with mine. Every time I run I car really hard or for over extended periods of time, the starter gets heat soaked from the turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe, engine, etc. My mechanic explained that this causes the components in the starter to actually become unable to transfer enough power to turn the flywheel. Whenever this happens to me, I will hear the starter relay click but the car won't crank. I end up having to put the car in gear without the e-brake on and get out the push the car a little. As long as car budges a little, you will hear the fuel pump relay and fuel pump prime for a split second. Then I get in the car and it starts up right away. The reason this work is because with you pushing the car while in gear, you're rotating the teeth on the flywheel into a different position that takes less torque and power for the starter to engage and turn. If you're lucky and on a slight incline, just make like when you're kick starting the car and kick the clutch, and it should do the same thing. When this first starts happening, it will be once in a long while. But, as time goes on, it will happen more and more frequently. I've just been too lazy and cheap to change out my starter. LOL So, it's either wait for the starter to cool down a bit or get out and push if you don't want to change out the starter.

At first, i was getting all frustrated trying to trace down the problem like you are by checking out the wiring, alarm system, crank sensor etc. If I let the car sit for a bit, everything would be fine. I coudln't figure it out for the longest time. One, time when my mechanic rode with my on a car cruise, he saw what happens and figured it out. Hope this helps you out.
it sounds like this was the problem then. because the car started up fine on cold start. i guess its time for him to change the starter then