Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

5 speed to 6 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 speed to 6 speed swap

I have to note that before this discussion get underway that all of you guys who just come in and say 5 speed> 6 speed will just be ignored.

So here is what I want to talk about. Recently my first gear failed on me after it was heavily abused during many autox events. TRE has a heavy duty bearing upgrade for that and regardless of which transmission I choose that will get done. I am debating having a six speed sent to TRE since he has resolved most of the issues with overheating and strength. I don't plan on making more power than what I have now which is stock turbo on E85 making 427whp/392wtq. I believe the gear ratio on the six speed is better for autox/road course events plus the overall shifter feel to me is less notchy than the five speed. I have a built five speed now with all the updates and an evo 8 3rd and 4th gear.

Basically looking for a discussion to make me pull the trigger or not. I am pretty set on this to be honest as I might have a local here who is willing to trade his perfect working six speed plus cash on his end.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I almost did this a few years back, I want a built 6 speed. With TRE doing it, I can't see a reason not to.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The torque limits of a stock 6 speed are considerably weaker than a 5 speed. I'm assuming your 427whp/392wtq are off a dynojet? I'm making 342wtq off a mustang dyno and the shop said that I was reaching the limit of my 6 speed. Fourth and 5th are skinnier, have less oiling and cooling capabilities, and thus weaker than that of the 6 speed. On the other hand, autox usually only requires 1st and 2nd (sometimes 3rd). Tracking is a different story. It's odd how Mitsu created the MR, yet the 6 speed is weaker for track. However, my buddies 4th gear got thrashed at Laguna Seca just before New Year's--and he's got a 5 speed. So go figure, huh? I'm still running strong with my 6 speed, having 118k and monthly autox's. However, I'll probably switch to a 5 speed once the 6 speed says goodbye, just because it'll handle more power/torque, which I may or may not plan in the future. Running BSP right now but might go turbo upgrade and/or cams to run SM--but not committed.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

I run Street Modified now at the power I'm at and that is plenty to win my Region. I just think the shorter 2nd gear will help so I don't have to downshift into 1st. It is hard to tell though. Just in case I am still going to make first as strong as possible. Check out TRE's six speed rebuild as he has pretty detailed pics on what he does to enhance the cooling issue and oil problems that normally kill the transmission. I would also like to hear from the guys who have had this service done.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I ran a 6 speed for 23,xxx hard track miles with no issue. I did install a tranny cooler/pump which helps in the cooling department. I recently did a 5 speed swap/shep rebuild because I didn't want to risk blowing up a 6 speed. Overall the 6 speed feels much better on track, the 5 does feel a little sloppy. I do like the fact the 5 speeds have been proven to be more bullet proof. I travel long distances to race so eliminating weak links on the car is a big plus for me.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidloco51
I ran a 6 speed for 23,xxx hard track miles with no issue. I did install a tranny cooler/pump which helps in the cooling department. I recently did a 5 speed swap/shep rebuild because I didn't want to risk blowing up a 6 speed. Overall the 6 speed feels much better on track, the 5 does feel a little sloppy. I do like the fact the 5 speeds have been proven to be more bullet proof. I travel long distances to race so eliminating weak links on the car is a big plus for me.
I ran my 6 speed during a couple HPDEs, but actually prefer the 5-spd. It's funny you describe the 5-spd as feeling sloppy, because thats the opposite of my experience. My 6-spd felt kind of "rubbery" when shifting, very imprecise where my Shep 5-spd feels like a bolt-action rifle. I will say different turns cause problems for me on the same track with the different transmission. At Summit Point, turn 8 was annoying with the 6 spd as I would be right on the verge of peak torque in 4th which badly unbalanced the car, but now with the 5-spd I have trouble with turn 10 because I wasn't quite able to take it fast enough in 5th to be in full boost when I straightened up. I'm hoping with the new aero/tires I'll be able to take that corner fast enough it won't be a problem.

Kidloco, did you install a tranny cooler on the 5-spd as well? I haven't done so yet, and probably should.

To the OP, it sounds like your mind is already made up, and you already have an offer of a 6-spd trans to swap, so what exactly are you asking? It's pretty common knowledge the 5-spd is stronger, but if you prefer the ratio of the 6-spd and TRE can fortify it enough to run reliably at your power level, then its just a question of if its worth the money to you. I personally wouldn't go back to the 6-spd, but I can also think of a lot of things I would spend that money on to go faster.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
I ran my 6 speed during a couple HPDEs, but actually prefer the 5-spd. It's funny you describe the 5-spd as feeling sloppy, because thats the opposite of my experience. My 6-spd felt kind of "rubbery" when shifting, very imprecise where my Shep 5-spd feels like a bolt-action rifle. I will say different turns cause problems for me on the same track with the different transmission. At Summit Point, turn 8 was annoying with the 6 spd as I would be right on the verge of peak torque in 4th which badly unbalanced the car, but now with the 5-spd I have trouble with turn 10 because I wasn't quite able to take it fast enough in 5th to be in full boost when I straightened up. I'm hoping with the new aero/tires I'll be able to take that corner fast enough it won't be a problem.

Kidloco, did you install a tranny cooler on the 5-spd as well? I haven't done so yet, and probably should.

To the OP, it sounds like your mind is already made up, and you already have an offer of a 6-spd trans to swap, so what exactly are you asking? It's pretty common knowledge the 5-spd is stronger, but if you prefer the ratio of the 6-spd and TRE can fortify it enough to run reliably at your power level, then its just a question of if its worth the money to you. I personally wouldn't go back to the 6-spd, but I can also think of a lot of things I would spend that money on to go faster.
I just want to hear reviews like yours from people who have used both and hopefully people with the Rebuilt TRE 6 speed will chime in. The thing is I have to get my transmission rebuilt. What worries me is a guy like TRE or Shep are going to want to rebuild the entire trans because a) they didn't do it the first time and b) for assurance reasons they will like to know everything is bulletproof from top to bottom. So really an investment is going to need to be made and since both are around the same price I find the extra money I can get trading my 5 speed plus what I believe the pro's to the swap for my personal case it sounds like this is the better route.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

The 5 speed will take more abuse than the 6 speed period. If you broke the 5 speed...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SDevo13
The 5 speed will take more abuse than the 6 speed period. If you broke the 5 speed...
Please read my posts. My first sentence is to prevent comments like this. I didn't break a part that was common for six speeds. First gear in the six speed is just as strong as in the five speed. As noted either transmission will need to be beefed up for that gear. I want reviews from people mainly who have raced on both and better yet who have had the transmission built by either shep or tre. I don't want to hear from people who have thrown on big turbos and complain that the six speeds was ****. My car sees a lot of autox events and will get a few road course events per year. The first two gears are what see the most abuse. Rarely do I ever run out third in an event. I wouldn't exactly say I abuse my car on the street but I have from time to time.

Last edited by dangle; Jan 16, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:43 AM

currently shep does not have the upgraded gears in stock for the 6 spd most likely for months, i was planning on shipping mine out but im going on a waiting list now
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dangle
Please read my posts. My first sentence is to prevent comments like this. I didn't break a part that was common for six speeds. First gear in the six speed is just as strong as in the five speed. As noted either transmission will need to be beefed up for that gear. I want reviews from people mainly who have raced on both and better yet who have had the transmission built by either shep or tre. I don't want to hear from people who have thrown on big turbos and complain that the six speeds was ****. My car sees a lot of autox events and will get a few road course events per year. The first two gears are what see the most abuse. Rarely do I ever run out third in an event. I wouldn't exactly say I abuse my car on the street but I have from time to time.
Hmm, if you are mostly autocrossing, I would definitely stick with the 5-spd. I prefer the gearing of the 5-spd for autox. When Shep built mine he did Evo IX 1st/5th & Evo VIII 3rd/4th gears and I really like it. Way less unnecessary rowing in 1st-3rd gear. Good luck with whichever direction you go!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

So I talked to Shep today and he convinced me to stick with my five speed. Luckily he isn't charging me for a complete rebuild and this is going to cost way less than I have expected. I am even going with the REM treatment while he's in there. To add he did say the first and second gear on the six speed are stronger but on the road course I will most likely destroy 4th gear. I really want a six speed though but what can you do.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with how blackendwings describes the way the two transmissions feel. I will take my built 5 speed from shep over the 6 speed anyday.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

I do have to say one thing though. I haven't spoke to TRE yet because it is so hard to get into touch with him but he does have a heavy duty first gear bearing upgrade that I really want but when I mentioned to shep about what it was he kind of shruggled it off. Shep also believes I screwed something up with my second gear that isn't allowing me to engage first. Second gear works fine but he is almost positive so who am I to disagree with him. Both are stand up shops but for some reason I am leaning toward TRE.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Hmm, if you are mostly autocrossing, I would definitely stick with the 5-spd. I prefer the gearing of the 5-spd for autox. When Shep built mine he did Evo IX 1st/5th & Evo VIII 3rd/4th gears and I really like it. Way less unnecessary rowing in 1st-3rd gear. Good luck with whichever direction you go!
The gearing is pretty much the same for autox... 2nd gear in the 6-speed tops out at about 62 mph with the stock rev limiter and 245-40-17s. I think the 5-speed only gets like 1 mph more. I've only had to use 3rd once so far and that was this weekend where we were hitting 75 and both would have had to use 3rd...

For SM though, I'd definitely want the 5 speed just because of the torques and the lighter weight.