Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tranny noise when I downshift into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2004, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny noise when I downshift into 2nd

Recently I noticed that I get a nasty grinding noise when I downshift into 2nd gear. I know what a bad synchro sounds and feels like, (I have a DSM ), and this is not the same thing. When a synchro goes, it can be felt in the shifter; this new noise is accompanied by a vibration through only the clutch pedal itself.

It sounds more like a hum than a grind, almost as if the clutch disc itself was slipping between the PP and FW. The car pulls fine though, so I really don't think it is a clutch slipping issue.

The car has almost 6,000 miles on it and is 3 months old. (I know I know...stupid 100 mile a day commute...)

It started to happen only in 2nd gear, but has become worse since then. The car has to be warmed up for the sound to happen, and is the loudest when doing it downhill. I downshift to 2nd around 15mph for the sound to happen.

The car is 100% stock and I really only get into boost to pass idiots on the morning commute. It has never been launched, never raced, and I rarely even go WOT in 1st gear. I have babied this clutch and it is pissing me off anyway. The DSM heritage continues!

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I have a few more issues, but I will raise them in a separate thread. Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lots of people have this problem. It's the output shaft in the tranny. Were all just waiting for to recall them. I have 10,000 miles on mine and I've had that noise from day one. Just turn the radio up a ignore it untill mitsu issues a recall
Old Jan 16, 2004, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

I have this issue to.

I think it's the clutch rattling when you have it have way out depressing the pedal.

Nothing that really bothers me. Car feels great and fast. With smooth gear changes.

Eric
Old Jan 16, 2004, 08:37 AM
Account Disabled

Damn Mitsubishi Transmissions. Oh Well I Feel I Should Help You Guys Out. Heres a Quick Fix to That Problem:

Evo Tranny Problems? Here's How To Get Rid of Them!
Old Jan 16, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Lancer_4_Sale
Damn Mitsubishi Transmissions. Oh Well I Feel I Should Help You Guys Out. Heres a Quick Fix to That Problem:

Evo Tranny Problems? Here's How To Get Rid of Them!
I'm guessing your a little bitter.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 06:59 PM

I thought about it, but I don't fit in the STi. Not enough head room.

Ah well, I guess I will just wait for it to break and take it to the dealer. Though I bet they will say the screen I put in front of the FMIC voids the warranty and also caused the tranny to break. Sweet.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 10:08 AM

When I downshift especially to 4th, 3th I hear the tranny "grinding sounds" from 4500 through 2800 RPM. I just bought the car this past weekend and have 100+ miles. I then went into the dealer and drove a similar '04 RS heard noise but not the grinding but was not able to hit the same RPMs. Maybe will have to go back and try again. When I try the same when my car is cold its hard to tell but when its been on the hwy I hear it clearly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Old Sep 5, 2004, 11:28 AM

Since you just bought it, take it back to the dealer as soon as possible. Have a tech ride WITH you when you show them the noise. The only reason the dealer wouldn't warranty my tranny problmems is because "they couldn't duplicate the reported problems". (which is obviously bull****). Take the car there and YOU show them the noises.

That is all I can think of. I will be doing this soon.

The morons said they couldn't hear my TO bearing rattling at idle. As soon as I got in the car to drive it home the damn thing sounded like it was about to rattle out of the car. Unfortunately they were closed at the time and I couldn't show anyone but the cashier.