Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Starter disengaging but still grinding

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter disengaging but still grinding

I've been having this problem for awhile after my VI swap into IV. First, I was getting back feed to the starter and it was staying engaged, that is now fixed, it does disengage but it still grinds.

My starter will disengage but the flywheel still grinds the starter wheel at the static position. I know this because when I do a compression with wrench or push the car I can hear it grinding. When it starts the starter grinds the whole time the engine is started. I bench tested it and it disengages fine. I have been using the IV stater( 2mo old rebuilt) with the flywheel that was on the IV engine(unknown evo model). I got a V starter in and tried it out, same exact thing. I will get pics up but the starter wheel has maybe 1/8th in ground out of it on every tooth where the flywheel has been spinning. Its as if the starter mounts too close to flywheel but I am using the same combination as I was on IV engine. The flywheel can't possibly sit closer on the 6 engine than the 4....

I think the only explanation is that the flywheel is warped and wobbling.

Any ideas?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
flywheel still grinds the starter wheel at the static position

dont understand this. impossible for fly to hit starter. only time it can hit is when starter gear slides to engage ring gear. if it doesnt slide back after engine start it will make aweful sound. if you have grinding sound when engine is manually turned with wrench then the fly must be hitting something other than starter. like bell housing or something else that is out of wack.

You problem may be twofold. But I suspect most of your problem it the starter plate. That often gets bent when engine or tranny is removed. If bent it can hold starter closer to fly than normal. This creates grinding sound during startup. Another possible problem may be related to the trans to engine centering tubes. these tubes need to be on the engine side during tranny install. often times when tranny is dropped they will be stuck on the trans side. when reinstalled that way the tubes will be too short to be affective. this can allow the trans to not align correctly. which in turn means the the starter isnt lined up correct either. of course if alignment tube or tubes was left out altogether then that can be your problem as well.

not likely at all to be fly problem unless its aftermarket. whatever the problem is I am 100% sure it was created during the swap. its not a parts problem failing or suddenly out of spec. problem was result of the mechanic who wrenched on the car.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Feb 3, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

The flywheel definitely hits the starter wheel when turn manually. The reason I am positive is because if I remove or shim the starter, no more grinding. All of the points that you made are very valid and likely. I don't think it is the plate, but I will double check. I did not know this info about the alignment tubes, some of them were on trans if I remember correctly. If they were half and half this could likely be my problem? Appreciate all your help.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 04:40 AM

Evo 7 starter problem

Hii having some big problems for a while now.! We changed engine's in our evo 7 from 2.2 block to 2.4block same starter same fly wheel now won't start since we've put new engine and starter back on the cog pushes in fine and looks lined up but won't start the engine rough noise's where its grinder with the flywheel's theeth.! Been told to drill a tint amount out the the starter motor bolt holes which line's them up so have done so still no joy we had the engine started once then the motor died dont know how any help at all thanks.!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Maybe the ring gear is mispositioned.