Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Evo 9 MR Kinugawa 25g install - photos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definitely interested in results on these turbos....im looking to buy really soon..and anyone buy and install the bigger 11-5 hot side???????if so, how much of a difference did it make????
Old Mar 9, 2012, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to see someone else giving this turbo a go!

Ive got one fitted to my Evo5 down here in NZ, we don't have E85 everywhere on pump yet so I run it on BP98. Not tuned yet but hoping for 300kw at the wheels.

Ive yet to run much boost through it yet, only about 5psi max then the fuel starts to cut out as It needs to be tuned, Done about 5000ks and no issues so good. No issues with it and the anti-surge whistle sounds evil. No play or stuffed seals yet.

Although when I got it one of the tips of the compressor wheel blades were slightly bent, not wanting to risk anything I got a new compressor wheel for it, this was a while back before they made the new billet ones. So I bought a new compressor wheel and rebuild kit that came with better journal bearings and bigger thrust collars etc.

Fits well. Bolted up fine to the manifold/dump etc. Just needed a bigger intake joiner. Comes with new oil/water lines.

Mods for me are pretty much identical to VIIIdriver but im running a forged 2.0L block, JUN style intake mani, 80mm TB and 3.5" IC piping.

Should have mine tuned in the newxt few months
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by honda-guy
are you going to run stock oil line or new line at the oil filter?
It comes with an oil line to fit the stock feed port, is there a reason to not use that spot?

I was going to opt for the stock oil drain as I had read someone else did as well, just a fyi. It comes with an adapter to convert the oil drain to a rubber or silicone hose.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:57 AM

Excellent! looking forward to see results from the Kinugawa !
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by partsman t
It comes with an oil line to fit the stock feed port, is there a reason to not use that spot?

I was going to opt for the stock oil drain as I had read someone else did as well, just a fyi. It comes with an adapter to convert the oil drain to a rubber or silicone hose.
use the stock feed from the head and stock return
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VIIIdriver
Sounds good dude,mine is also going in a 2.4 LR,i think it's gonna be real fun on E85 and the 2.4LR.I'm also buying the 25G billet wheel and 11.5 rear housing,but i won't put them in until i do some baseline runs to see what's the improvement over the stock 25G parts
Yeah im waiting for e85 to come here locally so im only on 93 but converting to SD currently i actually have the 11.5 hotside now and was very satisfied with quality and fitment i dont have any back to back comparisons so i cant offer input on that but i would say its a good route and i may be upgrading to the billet wheel next year so let me know how that is as well!... if anyone wants to see a few more pics of the turbo you can look at them in my build thread the pieces are quality and fitment on everything is great after the required machining will have dyno results once the builds done and im back from school ill update this thread with them for you guys
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

anyone have updates for this thread?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stanlsha
anyone have updates for this thread?
I guess most of us are in the middle of building our stuff,lol,trust me i want to get some numbers myself too! just found out Kinugawa raised the price on their billet wheels for the 25G.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Lol go figure what's the pricing at on them now?.... There's a guy in Greece that makes custom billet wheels that may be the route I take
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stanlsha
Lol go figure what's the pricing at on them now?.... There's a guy in Greece that makes custom billet wheels that may be the route I take
They went from $166.00 to $200.00,i still want one !
I contacted them and they said it's a 15% increase in flow!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like the same price to me http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Compre...ht_1666wt_1037
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

200's not a bad deal ill have to get in contact with the guy who makes custom wheels sometime soon and see what his pricing would be to compare maybe if we both decide to jump for one hell take a bit off if you dont buy the billet through them of course but 15% is a good bit id be interested to see what kind of impact that would make power wise and spool characteristics
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Here's the link to the billet 25G wheel,it used to be $166.00.

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/tu...hks3037-1.aspx
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

it looks like its not a reverse style compressor blade though (the billet version).
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by VIIIdriver
This was at 29 psi on 93oct.
Mod list at the time: completly stock 2.0 block,HKS 272 cams,Vishnu cam gears,Injen piping kit,ETS 4" fmic,self built cop kit,Prosport gauges,Forge unos mbc,Forge Type RS 50mm blow off,HKS air filter,Walbro 255 in tank,ACT HD clutch with 6 puck sprung hub disc,Swift Spec R springs,O.Z. ultrallegera 18x9,Zeitronix ZT2 WB,Kinugawa 25G,self ported stock exhaust manifold,ARP head studs,Gates racing timing belts,Blox front engine mount,OBX front LSD,Megan O2 housing,Magnaflow 3" tbe,1200 cc PTE injectors,self tuned on SD and Tephra V7.

With a little more time to tune i know i could have gotten it in the 450s,i was able to get this turbo to spool only 350 rpms later than my Evo 9 turbo ,with better cams i know it would be even better,and this thing would be crazy on E85,i didn't have time to do any more testing since my 3 year old Walbro failed on a high boost run and destroyed my engine,now i'm in the middle of building my fully built 2.4 LR,imo this is a great turbo for the money with enough power potential to have some good fun
If you want the tune i can email it to you no problem,i can also adjust it for SD or MAF or different injectors,just let me know.
Very Good result with this turbo. I have one and same mods like your car, the next week i will install the JUN Camshaft and set the boost to 29psi. For the moment and some issues in the wastegate, run at 22 psi with a 376whp with a stock cams.

Regards !!

Quick Reply: My Evo 9 MR Kinugawa 25g install - photos