Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who make the best UPGRADE oil cooler for a Evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya it would seem that the map and ams oil cooler kit is very very similar. Ams just has a higher price tag. I think for the weekend racer and weekly driver type of guy it would be the best bang for you buck to go with the map oil cooler kit. Not the ams and map kits have great reviews. So either way sounds good. Most people don't want to have to make their own kit and measure things.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 02:55 PM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Back from the dead.

I've got a MAP kit on my VII. The engine is making around 500hp from a HKS GTII 7460R Turbo with supporting mods (cams, 3,25" turbo back, intake, HUGE fmic, etc).

Did some road racing laps and the temperature got as high as it would get with a stock oil cooler, aroung 115 celsius. Outside temp was 24 celsius and I'm using Motul synthetic 5W40 engine oil.
The following 2 users liked this post by LCS:
Dalewantsevo! (Aug 15, 2016), hokiruu (Nov 13, 2019)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by LCS
Back from the dead.

I've got a MAP kit on my VII. The engine is making around 500hp from a HKS GTII 7460R Turbo with supporting mods (cams, 3,25" turbo back, intake, HUGE fmic, etc).

Did some road racing laps and the temperature got as high as it would get with a stock oil cooler, aroung 115 celsius. Outside temp was 24 celsius and I'm using Motul synthetic 5W40 engine oil.
bumping this again from the dead.

what's the best bolt-on no fab oil cooler right now?

guy above said the map one didn't do anything. just doing some future road racing prep here...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
You can try This as it will allow the oil to start flowing to the OC at a lower temp?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
bumping this again from the dead.

what's the best bolt-on no fab oil cooler right now?

guy above said the map one didn't do anything. just doing some future road racing prep here...
MAP uses Setrab which is a known entity in this space...some of the other bolt on options didn't specify who made their core. I also have this, but put it on years ago before I was tracking regularly so don't have a good before/after. The issue is though that depending on total setup the coolers can't totally save the car....i.e in the quote above if that's 500WHP with an HKS turbo in 24C that's an expected result. You can look into getting the better inlet vent, outlet vent (like the VI vent on mine) or the fan that other folks are running as well.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by codgi
MAP uses Setrab which is a known entity in this space...some of the other bolt on options didn't specify who made their core. I also have this, but put it on years ago before I was tracking regularly so don't have a good before/after. The issue is though that depending on total setup the coolers can't totally save the car....i.e in the quote above if that's 500WHP with an HKS turbo in 24C that's an expected result. You can look into getting the better inlet vent, outlet vent (like the VI vent on mine) or the fan that other folks are running as well.
nah my car is way, way more on the mild side than wild. just looking for added lower temps overall
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I have a large Setrab cooler with a Spal 6.5" puller fan hooked up. Mounted the switch in the glove box. Works well (fan might be overkill but whatever).

Attachment 325007
The following users liked this post:
hokiruu (Nov 13, 2019)
Old Dec 25, 2017, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What about a b&m oil cooler.I had one mounted up on my old evo.idk about lower temps,never had a gauge.They are very well made.They are also pretty cheap in price
Old Feb 25, 2018, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

are the map setrab oil cooler/oil coolers in general directional? i.e., other than the lines lining up correctly to the sandwich plate, do the oil coolers have to be lined up a certain way?

mishimoto shows the direction by stamping their "M" on the front of the oil cooler, but for the setrab it's not clear which side (left or right) should be on the top.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 01:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Bumping a old thread, but is there a dramatic difference between the MAP Setrab and STM B&M Race Cooler Kits to justify the extra $120 over the MAP Kit ($350 vs $470 after tax)?

MAP Setrab 50-625-7612: 11.25 x 7.5 x 1.875in Thick and 33,100-46,000 BTU range according to Setrab
B&M STM Race 70266: 11 x 8 x 1.5in and 20,500 BTU Rating according to B&M.

So the B&M is a little smaller, but not by a whole lot. I'm just having trouble figuring out if the extra BTU rating on the Setrab would have any measurable impact on cooling given how small the stock units are on these cars.

I could also just use a Derale or Koyo 25 Row Cooler that's rated at 46,000 BTU and has identical dimensions to the Setrab and make my own for $200 less than the MAP kit, using the same -8AN line as both kits (would -10AN work better considering the oil filter housing is M18x1.5?) Would just have to make brackets myself which does not look impossible, might look uglier than the MAP ones but they'll be out of sight.

https://derale.com/product-footer/fl...-inlets-detail

The following users liked this post:
sumopower87 (Aug 11, 2022)
Old Jun 22, 2020, 06:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
Why are you upgrading from the stock one? More cooling or cost?
I can't comment on how those two coolers compare however If you are doing Auto X or track days an upgraded cooler is nice. Or aluminum rods on a street car.

On a street car the OEM unit works well. Too big of a cooler in the fall isn't ideal. I'm running a racefab pan and a stock cooler, I needed to block off the cooler in the winter months in Florida so that the oil gets up to 160*.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 07:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
Why are you upgrading from the stock one? More cooling or cost?
I can't comment on how those two coolers compare however If you are doing Auto X or track days an upgraded cooler is nice. Or aluminum rods on a street car.

On a street car the OEM unit works well. Too big of a cooler in the fall isn't ideal. I'm running a racefab pan and a stock cooler, I needed to block off the cooler in the winter months in Florida so that the oil gets up to 160*.
Deleted after old one was on a motor that spun a bearing. I let my motor break in for 6-800 miles with just the delete plugs so whatever metal the motor shed wasn't trapped by the presence of a oil cooler. I am going to do a few track events around 400-450whp so I'd just like to keep the car from blowing up, but I'm realistic and acknowledge most of the miles on the car will be on the street.

And yeah that's a good observation, otherwise you can hurt the car just doing street pulls from not getting the motor oil up to temp. I have the Moroso pan and a MTX-D temp gauge with the sender into the oil drain plug of the pan and I've never gotten the oil past the first 5 green hash marks (definitely below 200F since it goes "yellow" at 220F, and probably closer to 150-180F most of the time).

Mishimoto posted this "tech report" which could be something to go after when choosing the 25-Row style coolers. I have a hard time believing the oil came to nearly what was probably ambient temperature after the oil cooler though (100 from stock vs 88-90F). IIRC The Evo's oil cooler thermostat opens at 185F. They calculated "10% more efficient" than OEM which doesn't sound like enough of a upgrade considering its 25 Rows vs 11-13 Rows on the stock one that's half the size, which makes me think the $120 B&M Race cooler isn't as bad as you would think and after a certain size (probably bigger than stock) you run into decreasing marginal gains that could also lead to the side effect of overcooling

https://cdn.mishimoto.com/media/prod...ringReport.pdf

Apparently you can buy just the bracket for the B&M STM coolers for $50 which is why they're a option. Just depends if I'm more comfortable with a single bolt into the frame rail holding my oil cooler vs making brackets out of perforated flat bar stock from Home Depot and using the stock brackets. I'll probably do the latter honestly. I'm not comfortable using a single M8 bolt into the frame rail holding my oil cooler in lol

https://stmtuned.com/products/stm-ra...rge-b-m-cooler

Last edited by mazdabish; Jun 22, 2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
All of Mishimoto's stuff is hot garbage.

The only oil cooler worth getting is the MAP setrab kit because the setrab is the best cooler available. If your oil doesn't get to temp on the street, block off the oil cooler duct.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
How much does the factory 185F thermostat restrict the flow of oil to the oil cooler prior to reaching this temperature?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdabish
Bumping a old thread, but is there a dramatic difference between the MAP Setrab and STM B&M Race Cooler Kits to justify the extra $120 over the MAP Kit ($350 vs $470 after tax)?

MAP Setrab 50-625-7612: 11.25 x 7.5 x 1.875in Thick and 33,100-46,000 BTU range according to Setrab
B&M STM Race 70266: 11 x 8 x 1.5in and 20,500 BTU Rating according to B&M.

So the B&M is a little smaller, but not by a whole lot. I'm just having trouble figuring out if the extra BTU rating on the Setrab would have any measurable impact on cooling given how small the stock units are on these cars.

I could also just use a Derale or Koyo 25 Row Cooler that's rated at 46,000 BTU and has identical dimensions to the Setrab and make my own for $200 less than the MAP kit, using the same -8AN line as both kits (would -10AN work better considering the oil filter housing is M18x1.5?) Would just have to make brackets myself which does not look impossible, might look uglier than the MAP ones but they'll be out of sight.

https://derale.com/product-footer/fl...-inlets-detail

I'm about to install the slightly larger Derale 53408 cooler, but probably should have opted for the one you chose since it will take some work to package and then get it properly ducted. While factory fittings are M18 the actual hard lines on the factory hoses are still just -8 so I kept everything -8 as well vs -10.

Quick Reply: Who make the best UPGRADE oil cooler for a Evo 9