Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT 6 Puck Race Clutch. DD?

Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT 6 Puck Race Clutch. DD?

Okay, I'm new to Evo's and just purchased a very nice 2003 last week with 68K. The previous owner told me, that last summer he installed an ACT Stage 4, 6 puck race clutch.

I can't decide if I like it for DD or not. I'm so use to being able to take of smoothly on a stock clutch, or down shift with out dropping the whole clutch.

There is, no middle point with this clutch, are people using it for DD? what would be the benefit of the previous owner installing it? It's a lightly modded (basic bolt ons) Evo.

Is it just a matter of getting use to it? or does a smooth take off not exist with this clutch?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It will never take off smooth, it's a total on/off switch. I used it as a disc replacement twice 6 years ago as it was cheap and it was great for shifting fast and that's about it. One of the disc blew up from the rivets coming loose and destroying my bell housing, pressure plate and flywheel.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:32 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
ACT HDG6, I have 16k miles on mine and it is just dandy. 550whp dynojet and I drive it every day, traffic is fine. Not the smoothest clutch ever but use the stock flywheel and it is plenty smooth.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
ACT HDG6, I have 16k miles on mine and it is just dandy. 550whp dynojet and I drive it every day, traffic is fine. Not the smoothest clutch ever but use the stock flywheel and it is plenty smooth.
Is this the sprung or un-sprung hub?

I currently have the ACT HD pressure plate and 6 puck sprung disc. Haven't got to try it out though as I'm still 2 years into my build.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have the 6 puck sprung. I personally don't like it as a DD but it takes time to get used to.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Wow! If you guys are complaining about a HD 6 puck sprung disk, you do NOT want to drive with a race clutch what so ever. That clutch to me was like driving a stock clutch. Don't ever get a multiplate clutch if you think the 6 puck is difficult to drive.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by WickedIXMR
Wow! If you guys are complaining about a HD 6 puck sprung disk, you do NOT want to drive with a race clutch what so ever. That clutch to me was like driving a stock clutch. Don't ever get a multiplate clutch if you think the 6 puck is difficult to drive.
It is not that it's hard to drive.. As I mentioned, I'm new to Evos and have never driven anything other than stock clutches.

On another note, I don't remember asking for any two sense on if I should get a multiplate clutch or not, it's clear that all i'm looking for is something comfortable for DD.

Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like you have unsprung version.
Gonna be a little annoying, however that's the nature of unsprung clutches.

I'd leave it for a bit and see if you can get used to it.
If not then maybe try the ACT Street disc. I have XTSS with Street disc and around 400lbs of torque.
Prior to this I had an unsprung twin(NG for DD)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
I'm just now getting mine broken in and I can't believe how easy it is to drive on this clutch. Its a little jumpy but not overly unbearable.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:25 AM

I want to switch to the 6 puck sprung disk too since my ACT street disk is a bit soft. I now use it with a ACT HD pressure plate. So when I go with it, which clutch cover is preferred for DD, HD or XT.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

I have one, its not too bad. There certainly are better choices for a DD if you don't have a lot of power in mind.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:44 AM

I have an act 6 puck unsprung about 1 year I had clutch lockout I just adjusted the clutch now no problems n I'm still with stock flywheel DD EVO (:
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been running an Unsprung ACT 6 puck clutch & fidanza flywheel for 40k+ miles. I actually ordered a sprung 6 puck & ACT sent an unsprung clutch, oh well. I can drive it almost as smooth as stock. It does make a little noise here & there, no big deal. I wouldn't recommend this clutch to most people for a DD, as most people that get in my car stall it right away. Clutch can be rough on drivetrain parts, and it does launch hard as hell. This clutch/my worn out 6 spd does not allow for NLTS but I have no lock out issues. I had lock out issues once like 5 yrs ago, first time I went to the track with this clutch, never had it again after that. My car has easily over 150 launches on the street & track with my 2 step no lower than 6k, this clutch loves launching.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

I hate when people claim "stage X" this and "race" that.... It means nothing. There are actual part numbers for these parts and designations-

For example there is 4 x versions of an ACT "6 puck" clutch.

MB7-HDG6
MB7-HDR6
MB7-XTG6
MB7-XTR6

All of which will have a different experience. So when someone asks "good for DD?", there really is not a proper way to answer it unless you are referencing the clutch you are using more specifically.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I wouldn't want one for DD, but it's your car and you're driving it, you make the decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ACT 6 Puck Race Clutch. DD?