Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

nasty oil leak any ideas im out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nasty oil leak any ideas im out of ideas

rebuild has 3,000 on it. found one leak it was the back of the valve cover from the cams it vibrates and shakes everything they backed loose under pressure lifted the valve cover and pissed on the engine bay. that took care of that leak. last night i ripped all the upper intercooler pipes off and battery check all the intake bolts, those were tight, check all the block sensors those were tight. now heres what its doing. it is spraying all over the passenger side on the lower sub frame and underneith the whole car. i have the glow shift oil filter adapter thought maybe the sensors in that. those are tight. oil filter is tight. checked all my oil pump housing bolts those are tight. checked all my oil cooler fittings those are tight. i checked the drain plug it was semi loose but nothing major could be the problem idk. but it looks like its hitting the front of the exhaust spraying back. now the subframe is coated. dip stick is not lifting and it is not leaking at the bottom of the block either. the turbo drain line is tight. its something deff in the passenger side but everything seemed tight unless that oil plug was the problem but it wasnt really that loose and it is not comming from the pan. i have no clue what else to check.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Maybe pull the timing cover and see if it is coming from under there.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The oil dye is very helpful finding leaks like this.

I would clean off as much oil as I could and put some dye in it. Let it run. Maybe rev it a few times and double check.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

i will most likley have to do the dye i tryed reving it and nothing looks like its leaking
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bubba17
i will most likley have to do the dye i tryed reving it and nothing looks like its leaking
Do you know what pressure you've got your oil under? Sounds like over-pressurization to me...but meh the the dye knows all.

Specs:

Oil pressure kPa (psi)
at idle 29 (4.2) or more
at 3,500 r/min 294 - 686 (43 - 100)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check axle boot for cut. Thought I had a leak same side nothing loose. Grease from boot everywhere when engine got warm liquifys it looks like oil.

Last edited by Murf; Mar 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OfaceGrimmins
Do you know what pressure you've got your oil under? Sounds like over-pressurization to me...but meh the the dye knows all.

Specs:

Oil pressure kPa (psi)
at idle 29 (4.2) or more
at 3,500 r/min 294 - 686 (43 - 100)

at idle i sit between 20-30 psi crusing at 3,500 i sit 80ish so oil pressure is good. and no axle boot ripped i checked last night. i run brad penn oil which is green and this is deff oil.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:37 AM

i am having the same issue still cant figure it otu
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Maybe pull the timing cover and see if it is coming from under there.
^ This. My camshaft seals were bad and leaking oil in areas similar to your issue.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pohjeekiller
^ This. My camshaft seals were bad and leaking oil in areas similar to your issue.
cams have about 850 miles on them and i just replaced the seals when i put them in. nothing wrong with the old ones but i had brand new ones sitting there put those in. and the leak is not comming from the cams i checked that as well.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:16 PM

Unfortunately if it's a crank case pressure issue the dye is pretty much useless...Or at least in my case it was because it tends to spray everywhere and you just end up with glowing parts...lol Good luck tho
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:32 PM

mine was blowing out from oil cap. the rubber seal was hard as a rock and not sealing. might wanna take a look @ that. are u running a catchcan by chance?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Is it possible there is a pin hole in your turbo return? The return line material is very very thin.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a similar problem that I hope I just fixed. The small pinhole on the back of the valve cover(by the oil cap) was leaking oil. I was getting oil around the sparkplug wire boots.
If I gave it gas I can see oil coming up around the bolt holes and the sparkplug wire on the hole. I took my valve cover off and noticed a tiny crack around the bolt hole. I just replaced the valve cover and put new seals around the sparkplugs. Everything looks good now, Im going to clean everything off and keep an eye on it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

What mt057 said in post #3. Clean up the mess or you'll never figure where it's coming from. With oil all over every thing it's like trying to find a leak in a boat that already sank.

Quick Reply: nasty oil leak any ideas im out of ideas