Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TESTED: Stock FPR capabilities

Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by evilempire76
My stock regulator failed after a little less than a year of be subjected to constant fuel pressure spikes from the double pumper.

When the hobbs switch kicked in I would get an immediate rich AFR swing.

I have since replaced my factory regulator with an Aeromotive unit and all is good now.
You are the exception, not the rule. There are countless people running 28-30psi on a single fuel pump setup on stock frame turbos. As fast as these things spool, the fuel pressure will jump to 71-73psi almost immediately. Same difference as the double pumper really.

Originally Posted by mrfred
Jamie, be careful about letting the fpr overrun at idle on pumps that have rewired pumps with no low voltage circuit. The higher pressure at idle and possibly cruise will mess with fuel trims.
I agree that keeping the low voltage circuit intact is the wisest choice. People sell rewire kits, plus there are a lot of DSM owners that now own Evo's and will ASSUME that a rewire kit is a logical 'upgrade'.

Originally Posted by PVD04
Interesting test. The one piece missing is that there is a lot more fuel flowing through the injectors at 10 psi than there is at idle. This will significantly reduce the load on the fpr. You would not necessarily see 74 psi as the lowest fuel pressure. As flow through the injectors increases, you'd likely see a drop in fuel pressure.
This isn't true. The double pumper has enough flow capability to apply the same load on the FPR even with a large injector at a decent duty cycle. It has been tested to do the exact same PSI spike on cars while boosting in real-world conditions.

-Jamie
Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by PVD04
Interesting test. The one piece missing is that there is a lot more fuel flowing through the injectors at 10 psi than there is at idle. This will significantly reduce the load on the fpr. You would not necessarily see 74 psi as the lowest fuel pressure. As flow through the injectors increases, you'd likely see a drop in fuel pressure.
I know this is an old thread, but I concur.
My second pump kicks in at 15 lbs of boost and I have no issues with fuel pressure.
the extra flow through the injectors is what this test is lacking and proves nothing without that part of the equation.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
So Do I need a bigger FPR with my larger than 255 fuel pump or not?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 06:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
So Do I need a bigger FPR with my larger than 255 fuel pump or not?
Nope. Main thing is to drill out the siphon slightly.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nope. Main thing is to drill out the siphon slightly.
Drill what now? on the pump? on the FPR?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
Drill what now? on the pump? on the FPR?
On the fuel return on the fuel pump assembly, you're supposed to drill out the siphon with a 9/64 bit.

MrFred can correct me if my recollection is incorrect
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
On the fuel return on the fuel pump assembly, you're supposed to drill out the siphon with a 9/64 bit.
Which nosal is the correct one on top of the fuel pump housing? And a verified answer on size of bit would be excellent.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Mine is drilled to 9/64's, works great. The part you drill is on the housing in the tank. Its a little y looking thing.

In picture #2, the guy is holding it. You run the bit through the part that says "DENSO" on it.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evo-8-9-a.html
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Troy (Jun 7, 2016)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I still dont understand what purpose dose it do by drilling a hole? how much is 9/64? like 3,5mm?

is this where to drill?

upload photos

Last edited by Kevin Troy; Jun 7, 2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
9/64 is 3.571875mm

It means the stock return won't get over run with a hard wired bigger pump or pumps.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Kevin Troy (Jun 7, 2016)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

OK, let me get this straight, when hardwired aeromotive 340lph intank pump and aftermarket FPR I should drill there a hole for better fuel return ?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Kevin Troy
OK, let me get this straight, when hardwired aeromotive 340lph intank pump and aftermarket FPR I should drill there a hole for better fuel return ?
No.
You remove it, then drill it through tube sticking out from either side, like so, enlarging the existing hole on the inside.

There is a hole in there that is small. Fuel coming through the return line hits it, creating a siphon and pulling fuel over from the other side of the tank. When using a higher flow pump, you need to enlarge that hole.
Attached Thumbnails TESTED: Stock FPR capabilities-photo466.jpg  
Kevin Troy (Jun 7, 2016)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

aaaaaaaaa O.K. I get it now. Enlarge the hole from inside through
Thanks for the clear up.
now, letsgetthisdone
Old Jun 7, 2016, 02:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Troy
Hardwiring a high flow pump for full-time full voltage can still lead to fuel pressure control issues even if the siphon is drilled out. I have a thread that shows how to do a simple rewire that maintains the the factory low/full voltage capability but still provides for better voltage when needed.
Kevin Troy (Jun 8, 2016)
Old Jun 7, 2016, 02:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Hardwiring a high flow pump for full-time full voltage can still lead to fuel pressure control issues even if the siphon is drilled out. I have a thread that shows how to do a simple rewire that maintains the the factory low/full voltage capability but still provides for better voltage when needed.
Yes, I was about to mention that...lol. The walbro 450 will overrun the stock FPR if run on full voltage for idle and cruise. Also, pumps live longer with a dual voltage setup since they aren't constantly running full kill.
Kevin Troy (Jun 8, 2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TESTED: Stock FPR capabilities