Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MAP EF2 boost creep troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Brunson
He has an EVO X.
Ah... I still don't think it's the turbo though... just my 2 cents...
Old May 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

So then what is it. Cause for some reason everyone at map thinks it could in no possible way be there turbo. But you want me to keep spending money trying this and that. How about you pay to have it remove and shipped back to you and increase wastegate or whatever. You ask me to try things and I do. Doesnt help and now this turbo is costing me more then my entire build.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wanguru
Good point. I would also try to run it on WG only (easier to do) to eliminate any boost controller issues...
That is pretty much what im doing now. Considering the boost controller cant control it anyway. Like i have said trying everything nothing working and just money flying out my pocket.
So keep hitting me with ideas and ill keep trying and spending before someone says " Hey this guy has tryed everything maybe it is the turbo housing"
Old May 13, 2012, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

See my previous post, and what is the preload set at on the wastegate arm?
Old May 13, 2012, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seanr8368
So then what is it. Cause for some reason everyone at map thinks it could in no possible way be there turbo. But you want me to keep spending money trying this and that. How about you pay to have it remove and shipped back to you and increase wastegate or whatever. You ask me to try things and I do. Doesnt help and now this turbo is costing me more then my entire build.
That is pretty much what im doing now. Considering the boost controller cant control it anyway. Like i have said trying everything nothing working and just money flying out my pocket.
So keep hitting me with ideas and ill keep trying and spending before someone says " Hey this guy has tryed everything maybe it is the turbo housing"
This is a pretty tough position to be in, my friend. I can totally understand your frustration.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

This is all part of troubleshooting. Unfortunately in your situation, you've had to pay someone to do the work on your car which sucks but you pay to play. Regardless of whose turbo (FP, MAP etc) it is, you will still end up paying the labor to R&R the parts. I've had to do quite a few turbo swaps on my own car within a year time frame (stock 8 to 20G to FP black JB to EF4) and it's definitely not fun (esp if you break bolts) but it's all part of the game. Heck, the EF4 had to be sent back to MAP due to lag issues (which got addressed) but here's what it comes down to. EVERY single time I've had issues, MAP guys jump right on it with good customer service and ATTITUDE. But you can't expect them to wave a magic wand and tell you what the issue is when their part has been installed by someone else and especially when they are lacking diagnostic data (data logs, boost plots etc). Believe me, I feel your pain. But give these guys a chance. They have yet to disappoint me.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Well put, greatly appreciated and it was a pleasure working with you when I was with MAP.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:13 AM

Adam when did you leave MAP? Who is gonna look after me now?
Old May 14, 2012, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
This is a pretty tough position to be in, my friend. I can totally understand your frustration.
DON'T I KNOW IT.... Yeah I don't know what the hell to do.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wanguru
This is all part of troubleshooting. Unfortunately in your situation, you've had to pay someone to do the work on your car which sucks but you pay to play. Regardless of whose turbo (FP, MAP etc) it is, you will still end up paying the labor to R&R the parts. I've had to do quite a few turbo swaps on my own car within a year time frame (stock 8 to 20G to FP black JB to EF4) and it's definitely not fun (esp if you break bolts) but it's all part of the game. Heck, the EF4 had to be sent back to MAP due to lag issues (which got addressed) but here's what it comes down to. EVERY single time I've had issues, MAP guys jump right on it with good customer service and ATTITUDE. But you can't expect them to wave a magic wand and tell you what the issue is when their part has been installed by someone else and especially when they are lacking diagnostic data (data logs, boost plots etc). Believe me, I feel your pain. But give these guys a chance. They have yet to disappoint me.
My tuner has been on the phone with them at map, and giving them all the info and tried everything they ask him to try. They have been helpful but it does seem that they believe that it can in NO Way be there turbo. And my tuner thinks that it is. So like I said I guess I'm screwed.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Adam Brunson
See my previous post, and what is the preload set at on the wastegate arm?
18 psi
Old May 14, 2012, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Well this could go on forever so. I just don't know what to do next. Thanks for listening to my *****ing.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:22 AM
Former Sponsor

18 psi

18psi is not a measurement of preload. Preload is how far the actuator arm is adjusted, if you have the car pop the wastegate actuator arm off the flapper. Hold the flapper shut completely and take a picture of the actuator arm next to the flapper (while holding it shut)
Old May 14, 2012, 07:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdm-vr4
Adam when did you leave MAP? Who is gonna look after me now?

Not to thread jack but my last day is officially tomorrow. I already have Nate working under the MAPerformance name. He will take care of you without a problem I'm sure!

Cheers,
Adam
Old May 14, 2012, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For reference, here is the PM that was sent to seanr8368 on May 12th:

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Sean,

We have sold literally hundreds of these turbos, all of which utilize the same turbine housing. I have never, prior to your experience, heard of a boost creep issue. The only way that this could be turbo related would be a casting flaw of some sort that would be blocking the wastegate flow. the turbo would have never left our facility if such a flaw was present. There is a slight chance that something could have happened to the housing during use, but unfortunately the only way to determine that would be to remove the turbocharger for inspection.

If I was you the next step I would take would be to try a new o2 eliminator downpipe. While the downpipe is being installed the technician can do a visual inspection of the wastegate outlet and ensure there is no obstruction.

In my opinion the chances of this boost creep issue being turbo related are very slim. I wish the car was here so that we could do the troubleshooting for you, but that's obviously not an option. I will say this, if we ultimately determine that the turbo is somehow at fault here, I will so everything in my power to compensate you for this inconvenience.

Quick Reply: MAP EF2 boost creep troubleshooting