Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IX MR 6sp clunk

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX MR 6sp clunk

Hey guys, looking for some diagnostic help here. I have an Evo IX MR w/ ~48K miles on it. Stock clutch still. I have recently developed a clunking noise coming from the front of the car. Thought it was the suspension at first but was able to narrow it down to the transmission. Got the car on a lift and was able to hear the clunking coming from the center diff area right where the driver side axle goes into the trans.

So, the noise happens when I am at a stop and start out in first gear. It will also happen when braking. Sometimes during braking, I will get a double clunk. The trans shifts and sounds fine otherwise. I don't beat on the car and have never launched it. Anyone seen or heard of this before?

Thanks,

Wei Yan
Old May 29, 2012, 08:11 PM

Ok, finally figured it out. Turns out it was not the transmission. It was the cross bars that go under the exhaust near the front of the car. A few of the bolts were loose. Tightened them up and the noise is gone! Not sure why I didn't try that first.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by weiyan8
Ok, finally figured it out. Turns out it was not the transmission. It was the cross bars that go under the exhaust near the front of the car. A few of the bolts were loose. Tightened them up and the noise is gone! Not sure why I didn't try that first.
mine did the same thing today and it did this out of nowhere today a clunkin noise right as i start it