Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller Help?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller Help?

I am going to cut straight to the point; I've read through all the search results on google & have been playing with this thing for the past 3 days - changing things, adjusting, trial & erroring and I have just settled on; "maybe I should just ask"

So here goes;

what are your settings on your hks evc 6 to get it to work properly? can i have your entire set up listed on how you are running boost?

before with a manual boost controller i was running 25psi spike / tappering to 23psi > making full boost at 3XXXrpm > now with the hks - it's creeping to 15-17psi at redline

Please help?

thank you!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by v2lab
I am going to cut straight to the point; I've read through all the search results on google & have been playing with this thing for the past 3 days - changing things, adjusting, trial & erroring and I have just settled on; "maybe I should just ask"

So here goes;

what are your settings on your hks evc 6 to get it to work properly? can i have your entire set up listed on how you are running boost?

before with a manual boost controller i was running 25psi spike / tappering to 23psi > making full boost at 3XXXrpm > now with the hks - it's creeping to 15-17psi at redline

Please help?

thank you!
Its very simple if you follow the manual really

1jzmerc.com/files/hks-faq/hks-evc-6-manual.pdf

first make sure its installed correct ! The EVC steeping motor vacuum lines and main harness wires to ecu.

If all OK and as per the manual then move on to basic settings ;

I will refer to page number from the manual as quick reference for you to follow:

1. Do all reset first ; page 43 para 7.6. (all reset mode).

2. Then Initial set up; page 29
a. para 2.1 (Setting pressure unit) - Set to PSI
b. para 2.2 (Setting exhaust bypass) - Set to S if on actuator -
- Set to poppet if on E/wastegate
c. para 2.3 (setting standard max boost) - Set this as the lowest/ or factory
boost level 9 or 10 psi.
d. para 2.4 (setting target boost) - Set this to required boost level.
e. para 2.5 (setting correction coefficient) - Increase/decrease to achieve
required boost

That's about it for initial set up, after this just try the settings and if all OK then move to Standard Mod on page 31 para 3.1 to set up both A/B modes, as you can have Hi/Lo settings.

Hope it helps
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:10 PM

went through the steps something is not right somewhere or i am missing something? the manual posted above is for a different evc 6 than i have...mine has 4 buttons on the front .. at best i got it to 18psi at redline...before it was spiking 25 at 3700rpm...

still super confused... everything on the controller works, tb/tps/etc.. vacuum lines ran properly etc.. all hooked up...?

any other help/ideas?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That's the new one. Sorry, I have not played with that one yet...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by v2lab
went through the steps something is not right somewhere or i am missing something? the manual posted above is for a different evc 6 than i have...mine has 4 buttons on the front .. at best i got it to 18psi at redline...before it was spiking 25 at 3700rpm...

still super confused... everything on the controller works, tb/tps/etc.. vacuum lines ran properly etc.. all hooked up...?

any other help/ideas?
OK what you have is the new EVC 6 ! not the regular EVC 6, anyway if you say everything is hooked up perfect then think your missing something from the setup ! Do you have manual for it ? also is it set to read Kpa or Psi ? And dose the boost change if you Increase/decrease the gain/duty cycle?

I don't think much will change from the regular EVC 6 regarding basic tuning ! the only thing i will suggest is a reset and a fresh tune.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by sound77
OK what you have is the new EVC 6 ! not the regular EVC 6, anyway if you say everything is hooked up perfect then think your missing something from the setup ! Do you have manual for it ? also is it set to read Kpa or Psi ? And dose the boost change if you Increase/decrease the gain/duty cycle?

I don't think much will change from the regular EVC 6 regarding basic tuning ! the only thing i will suggest is a reset and a fresh tune.
everything is hooked up wire-wise - i meant i am missing something in terms of settings (like some magic button)

i do have the manual for it -> and i've followed through - it seems very/close to what the guy in the first reply said ; but there is a screen that (maybe i can't find it?) in the manual it seems like it adjusts boost by Rpm(?) and i have no idea how to get to that - and it doesn't explain it clearly in the manual....?

and the boost doesn't change when i adjust the correction values...
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:59 PM

I have an 2001 Porsche Turbo and I had similar issues, my boost held much better with my greddy profec b than this new HKS EVC color which keeps dropping my boost from 25 psi as i approach redline to 16 PSI
Old Mar 3, 2013, 03:48 AM

i am also facing the same issue ...help anyone??
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:12 AM

evc

The key here is to understand the lingo inside the evc. For example, u can't set anything without knowing what is wastegate type "p" or "s", what is PH and whats OF.S means. first use the manual to get the meaning of each commands. Then find out what they really mean in the forums of Faq sections.

I recently configured the EVC 5 to a GDB and it was pain in the ***, becoz i was merely using the manual and thought Max boost is the max boost i wanted to run, only to find out in the HKS FaQ that max boost is the spring max value, and the desired boost can only be set whatever value higher than that. Hope this helps for future tuners.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:17 AM

Most importantly set the ur spring max value in the initial setup, without doing this, i got no hold of boost control at all as well just like you guys. If u dont know whats ur spring preload, switch off the evc by holding the B button and drag ur 3 or 4th gear, lower gears won't have much load.