Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo won't start...HELP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo won't start...HELP

So, i have an 03 Evo VIII, I was driving this morning and this afternoon with no problems. I went out to start it tonight and it just won't turn over. It's not the timing belt, though i do need to think about replacing that soon. It sounds healthy when I turn the key, but just won't start. I'm thinking an ignition or fuel problem. Any suggestions would be a great help, thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Does it just crank and crank, or does it "wont turn over" mean it wont even crank,

If it wont crank check your battery voltage, maybe your alternator died and wouldn't charge the battery, or the battery died.

If it just cranks maybe you blew the ignition fuse, its behind the little storage thing by your left knee. It should be the 1st 10a fuse in the fuse box behind that.

Or it could be another problem, pull your plugs out and see if there is gas on top of your pistons after cranking (if it even cranks) which will verify if you're getting fuel
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Here is what I have been having trouble with also a 03' evo 8.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-starting.html
Old Aug 7, 2012, 09:18 AM

Yes the car just cranks and cranks, but won't turn over. I'm gonna check the fuse when I get home from work, I'm hoping that's the cause. If not I guess I'll start trouble shooting the ignition. Thanks you for your replies, I really appreciate it.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:46 PM

Just got back from work and the fuse is fine. I can hear the fuel pump, the radio and everything is working. When i turn the key it turns over, it just won't start. Please give me some ideas it's driving me crazy. Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

check for spark,then check for fuel at the injectors,also see if you are turning rpm's when it's cranking
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:37 PM

So I went to check if the Tach moved when trying to start the car. When I turned the key the car actually turned over and started just for a second then shut off. I must be getting spark, though I will double check it. Now I'm thinking it's a fuel/pump/filter issue. I was thinking it was a balance/timing belt/crank angle sensor issue, but would the car even start for a second if that was the case???
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

keep me updated
Old Aug 8, 2012, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

When I first got my evo It had a new timing belt put on and who ever did it caught the wire for the crank case sensor under the timing belt cover and wore a hole in the wire. Before that it had died couple of times for no reason then after it wore all the way threw it would just crank over and wouldn't fire. So it might be crank sensor.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 02:05 PM

would my car start if it was the balance/ timing belt or crank sensor?? like I said it started today and ran for a few seconds
Old Aug 8, 2012, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

It could because it made a good connection then lost it. When mine went out like I said it died for no reason but started up and made it home but next day went to go pick up kids and it turned over just fine but it won't fire for some reason if crank sensor is out or cable is broke. Maybe check cable all the way to sensor and see if you can find a bad spot in it.
Good luck.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 03:14 PM

Thank you guys so much for your help. I may not get to really dive in till the weekend but i will certainly keep you posted. thanks again!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

check the cam position sensor on the driver side of the valve cover, mine broke and it did exactly what you are describing, turning over sometimes would be about to start then shut off
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

my evo started acting up... now it cant turn over... there is spark but no power in the line to fuel pump... we jacked up a line and ran to the pump ant it started... but no blown fuse... maybe a relay
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went through a major headache for a month with this same problem before I found out my immobilizer had failed. I removed it with ECUFlash and it started right up.