Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who's Running a Walbro (F90000267) 416LPH E85 Compatible Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tscompusa
Dan what the hell are you doing lol. you're still fighting that fuel pump? also punch the bypass valve in on it that will help you greatly after 60psi~ of fuel pressure.
Yea, this has to be the longest fuel pump install in history - LOL. I haven't decided if I'm going to hack up a Walbro 416 or just buy a Buschur double pumper and be done with it. I was hoping someone would do the 416 install in a modified hanger (not a double pumper) so that I would know that it could be done and still seal at the rubber grommet. According to the dimensions I took, after shortening the outlet tube on the 416 by .25", the bottom of the sock will be very close to the bottom of the fuel tank - maybe even touching.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by drb
Yea, this has to be the longest fuel pump install in history - LOL. I haven't decided if I'm going to hack up a Walbro 416 or just buy a Buschur double pumper and be done with it. I was hoping someone would do the 416 install in a modified hanger (not a double pumper) so that I would know that it could be done and still seal at the rubber grommet. According to the dimensions I took, after shortening the outlet tube on the 416 by .25", the bottom of the sock will be very close to the bottom of the fuel tank - maybe even touching.
Its supposed to be as close as possible without restricting entry into the fuel pump. For comparison, the factory fuel pump hanger actually just barely touches the bottom of the fuel tank.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

I decided to give one of these a try. Ordering it today...
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please keep us updated man!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 420a-t
Please keep us updated man!
It will be arriving by Thursday/Friday, so I should be able to install and test this weekend.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:36 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
It will be arriving by Thursday/Friday, so I should be able to install and test this weekend.

Thats great news. I'm still at least a week away from getting mine installed, too many other projects going on.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed one of these this morning. Modify the hanger just like you would for the reg. 400L pump, and then ONLY cut off the top "barb" on the pump. It goes right together after that. The depth of the pump is determined by the hanger and pump retainer. If it clips together then your pump height should be very close if not the same as the stock pump. I think you're getting bogged down with measurements and hypothetical scenarios. All you have to worry about is getting the retainer ring to snap on to the pump housing and you're good
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Mychalio, any updates my friend???
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Mychalio, any updates my friend???
Pump didn't arrive on Friday as I was told it would. Fedex says it will arrive on Monday. In preparation, I did go through my motor a bit yesterday to make sure everything is in good shape. Weather for Mon/Tue is looking good, so I should be able to test it.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:02 PM
EvoM Guru

So, I have the E85 Walbro 400, but haven't installed it yet. I spent some time today setting up a way to log pump voltage so I can better understand the practical aspects of these pumps. I'm also contemplating tapping the pump carrier so I can monitor voltage directly at the pump outlet (instead of at the pump carrier outlet like I had done previously).
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Got the pump installed. It fits, but barely. It took a bit of trimming in a couple of places. Good news is that this pump rocks on flow. Its the first pump I've had that can cleanly maintain 44 psi across the injectors all the way out to full power (500 whp). I'll be posting pics and charts this evening in a new thread.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:06 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Got the pump installed. It fits, but barely. It took a bit of trimming in a couple of places. Good news is that this pump rocks on flow. Its the first pump I've had that can cleanly maintain 44 psi across the injectors all the way out to full power (500 whp). I'll be posting pics and charts this evening in a new thread.

Looking forward to seeing what you found. It's a tight fit for sure.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Really excited to see the results and if this will work for more than 500whp!!! thanks for doing the testing!!! can you compare it to a dp setup?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Really excited to see the results and if this will work for more than 500whp!!! thanks for doing the testing!!! can you compare it to a dp setup?
I'd love to compare to a double pumper, but I've not run a double-pumper yet.

Last edited by mrfred; Nov 7, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Here are some thoughts on the install. First of all, for better or worse, I'm using the hose clamp approach rather than retaining the factory cap on the bottom of the pump carrier. See first picture. I'm also using the large sock that Walbro recommends to ensure that the pump is not starved for fuel. The challenge with this setup is that this sock is about 1/8" taller than the factory sock configuration, and in order to get keep it from bottoming out on the bottom of the fuel tank when the pump is put together, the outlet nozzle on the pump has to be trimmed as much as possible which is until the pump bottoms out on the pump carrier inlet nozzle. See second picture. In order to get it to fit this tightly, I had to cut off a little nub between the wire inlets on the pump. You'll see what I mean if you take a look. I ended up cutting off both barbs, but after getting it all together, I think I might have been able to get away with the nozzle length in the third picture. To help insure a good seal between the pump outlet and the big rubber grommet, I wrapped the grommet in teflon tape to increase its outside diameter.

One issue that worries me is that Walbro/Ti has said that this pump is only compatible with E85 if the wiring is sealed, and there is no way to keep it sealed using the factory wiring layout. As can be seen in the pics above, I used crimp spades to attach it to the factory harness inside the pump carrier. If I had more time, I would have installed a new wire feed through in the top of the pump carrier like what is used for the second pump on double pumpers and then pump wires to the vehicle harness on the outside of the fuel tank.

For those that are using the factory pump carrier cap to secure the pump, the factory Evo-size sock is too small to provide adequate fuel to the pump inlet. An alternative is the Walbro 125-142 sock in the fourth picture. Walbro/Ti said that they thought this sock is adequately sized for this pump.

First picture - pump mostly assembled

Second picture - location where pump bottoms out on pump carrier

Third picture - Suggested nozzle length for hose clamp approach

Fourth picture - A possible sock to use with the factory cap approach
Attached Thumbnails Who's Running a Walbro (F90000267) 416LPH E85 Compatible Fuel Pump?-img_1270_m1.jpg   Who's Running a Walbro (F90000267) 416LPH E85 Compatible Fuel Pump?-img_1268_m1.jpg   Who's Running a Walbro (F90000267) 416LPH E85 Compatible Fuel Pump?-img_1264_m1.jpg   Who's Running a Walbro (F90000267) 416LPH E85 Compatible Fuel Pump?-img_1272_m1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Who's Running a Walbro (F90000267) 416LPH E85 Compatible Fuel Pump?