Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 GSR & TTR Built 2.3L Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man..I know how Bbong Feels, my 2.4lr motor consumes oil and it is a pain to have to carry 2-3 quarts of oil where ever you go. checking your oil level daily is also crazy. I'm glad the new JAM setup is working out for you . hopefully I can get my oil consumption issues addressed soon.
Old May 28, 2015, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Any updates?

Originally Posted by xxthayxx
Man..I know how Bbong Feels, my 2.4lr motor consumes oil and it is a pain to have to carry 2-3 quarts of oil where ever you go. checking your oil level daily is also crazy. I'm glad the new JAM setup is working out for you . hopefully I can get my oil consumption issues addressed soon.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, update is that... I would really have to say, never trust or buy anything from Bushur, maybe sometime in the past he did build good engines, but not as of late.

Never trust anyone that tells you that "some engines consume oil", that is not an anomaly, it's just badly build engine.

Never trust a cheap build, you get what you pay for, that includes Bushur, TTR and Jackson Machine Shop, these are the most immediate shops that I dealt with and engines were crap. Bushur and his zealots will defend them, maybe some had luck with his engines, but going through 3 engines in 2 years is a really f'd up record for these builders.

Comparable, I've build STI engine only once and it did 20 track days at 530whp and no issues and still going strong after 3 years being beat on at that power, going to Evo I thought these engines were bulletproof, maybe they are, but not with these whack-jobs buildings them, I would not spend a dime with these shops if I were *you*, it means whole community!

Evo with built engine has been a huge disappointment to me, took a *HUGE* loss and decided to part with it , sold it with a broken engine and sold it for peanuts as I found out that I can't trust any of these shops to turn up a reliable product, that's why AMS costs what it costs so do yourself a favor and spend extra instead of rebuilding after single track day or ping TSComp who actually measures the clearances and doesn't guess.

Bushurs engine is meant to go for 1/4 mile and even then it'll probably consume a quart of oil in 3 passes, put it to track day stress and it'll grenade after single session and obviously it's never a builders issues, it must be the tuner or an owner who doesn't take care of his car, sorry David Bushur, I've been tracking cars for years and by far the worse track record I've had with the Evo and your ****ty engine!

I've spent easily 20k in less than 2 years on that Evo, so the message to you Builders is... what are you going to do when the whole community turns their back on you? What do you think we are your guinea-pigs? If you don't care why are you in this business? When you sell us the product, your warranty sounds so delicious, but you're never backing your product after something happens to it, even when evidently it is your wrong-doing.

Anyway, it was great owning this icon of a car, but message to you all is who are about to spend their hard earned money on an engine, do yourself a favor and pay a little extra with a reputable shop or a builder. Peace!

Flame on, but stop shielding these *******s already and do your part for the community, come out of hiding and don't be afraid of bullies!

//EOM
Old Oct 1, 2015, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
bbong.....

I agree 100% with going with a reputable builder.......let's see.....hmmmm....yep, we have the beset engine/head building reputation in the business actually.

Your posts are humorous at best. 1/4 mile engines only? Interesting as we ship what I'd guess to be close to 200 engines per year from our shop and the issues with any are near zero.

Have a great life.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
It sounds like the engine had a problem in the head controlling oil leaking past the valves. And it was simply missed/overlooked when it went in for a rebuild. Any pictures of the old valves from the engine? or pics of the pistons?

In LSx engines, when the head is ported oil can leak past the rocker studs, and this is a very common thing to happen. Its just an example.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Hey anyone,

I wanted to chime in on this because I am having similar issues on my build as well.

2.3L
Manly:
100mm Crank
Turbo Tuff I beams
Weisco HD2 Pistons (asymmetric skirt)

Excessive oil consumption.

My conclusion is something related to these stroker piston/ring combinations.

I noticed because of a convenient exhaust leak that most of my oil was burning when I was in closed throttle decel. Whenever I tipped out of the throttle I got oil smell. So to me it seems like the oil rings are not doing their job very well.

I pulled and build my bottom end twice because my first pistons had damaged oil ring lands. The end of my oil ring dented the top of the oil ring lands, multiple locations around the piston.

I sent them back to Weisco and they kicked them around their shop floor, said they must have been installed wrong and mailed them back to me dented.

I stepped up a half size and re punched my block making sure to hold the correct P-W clearances, and had the same issues. Went through the head, new guides and seals, still the same issue.

Pooling on the piston, all kinds of junk in the intake ports from reversion, PVC is VTA.

I am at a loss and wanted to see if anyone knows how to make this combination work. I feel my best bet is trying a different piston supplier or style.

Dave do you have any input on the stroker motors?
P-W clearance
Ring end gaps
anything piston related you found works better?

Later
Dominick
Old Sep 15, 2017, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Are you checking the gap on the oil rings?

Is the machine shop you're using honing the cylinders correctly?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Are you checking the gap on the oil rings?

Is the machine shop you're using honing the cylinders correctly?
I check everything but typically the oil ring gaps are larger then you would set anyway. Weisco even says just check for a minimum.

Machine shop followed the grit and clearance I asked of them, nothing worth noting on that one.

I find it hysterical that everyone else solved this issue by blowing up their engines, I am just hoping not to join them. Seems like there is something being overlooked by multiple people building this combination engine.

I have done leak down, vacuum down, and compression tests to no avail to an obvious problem with the bottom end.

I will say the pistons rock more then my last 2.0L build but that is to be expected with such a short piston skirt. I think it might just be over the limit of keeping the rings in line to do their job.
Attached Thumbnails Evo 9 GSR & TTR Built 2.3L Oil Consumption-9-15-2017-4-40-17-pm.gif  
Old Sep 15, 2017, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I know, you need to check them for the min gap, that's what I meant.

Honing wrong could be going to slow with the bit, creating improper angle of the cross hatching.

What was your PTW set to? What was the expected power of the build, and how was the car to be used?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
When Mitsubishi started peddling the Evo around the world with a 2 liter engine developing close to 300 hp it was an eye opener for other car makers. They would have told you that that was impossible were it not for Mitsubishi. Now, 15 years later you see other marks with small engines producing the same horsepower.

But you don't see much beyond that. The Focus RS at 350 horse power has had some problems with broken blocks. My stock Evo 8 engine from the factory made more horse power per cubic inch than a Dodge Demon at 840 horse power.

Last edited by barneyb; Sep 16, 2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I got mine torn back down again and for the second time I found that the oil rings have been hammering and beating up the top of the oil ring land. That would be 2 times now, both the 86 and 86.5 builds with the HD2 piston had the same issue.

Send bore measurements and details back to WIESCO, but they haven't given any response yet. Only thing I can see is a bit of a tapper towards the top of the bore that seems to be from the top two rings, but with only 5000 miles on this engine of commuting, it seems like a lot of wear.

So I am currently considering alternatives to WIESCO, which sucks since I have to likely punch all the way to 87 or find a new block to keep playing with this thing. Anyone have some suggestions? I at least have a good set of TT I beams and a like new 100 mm crank. Just need to find a new piston combo to see if I can make some jam.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I've never seen hammered oil rings.
Worn out oil rings, yes
Stuck oil rings, yes.

Pics or it didn't happen?

But seen the insides of lots and lots of broken engines.
Measured everything too.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
I've never seen hammered oil rings.
Worn out oil rings, yes
Stuck oil rings, yes.

Pics or it didn't happen?

But seen the insides of lots and lots of broken engines.
Measured everything too.

See below
Old Mar 26, 2018, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Old Mar 26, 2018, 04:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Well, those oil ring lands and pistons are definitely finished. I have the same setup as you but with different model Wisecos and stopped my engine from burning oil all together. For the oil rings to even have room to hammer up against the ring land is interesting. Were the oil rings seated properly onto the back of the oil expansion ring? Need to make sure everything is seated well and clocked properly according to the diagram below. Hopefully they didn't send you the wrong size rings

I ended up with a ptw of about 0.0040". Just keep searching man, don't let this keep you down. This combination does work, but nobody reports the good news, only the bad news.

Quick Reply: Evo 9 GSR & TTR Built 2.3L Oil Consumption