Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

any ideas on severiity of damage?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any ideas on severiity of damage?

ok so i put a sprung 6 puck act clucth and fly wheel whole kit in my 03 evo a few years ago, and it was a whole kit, including new cylinders, a few weeks ago i was teaching my wife and brothers how to drive the car (yea i know....), being that they were horrible i figured id need to spruce it up soon enough, however i was dirving and my clutch slipped out on my way home from work when i went over 1/2 throtle in any gear, but i got home didnt drive her for a few days then went for a drive and it was gone. continued another few days dirving it every now and then never for long times but then as im sure every one has done once or twice i had to defend the evos rep at a stop light..... and boom cluctch gone... how ever the reason for the post is it is not acting like any blowin clutch ive ever had before,if you turn the car off u can place it in 1st or Reverse and turn the car on and off you scooot, once driving you can use the cluitch and shift into 2nd 3rd and 4th with no problem, how ever you can not go back down you can not go into 5th and you can not stop , it dies the clucth jumps in and out when you try, and you can not shift from R into 1st. likie i said ive never had 1/2 a clutch before lol so do i just need to order a new clutch disk, or do i need a full kit just a cyclender? like i said im not sure with these symptoms...any input will be greatly appriciated

Twinky
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds ****ed is what it sounds like... Kinda like a half clipped wave lock or something... I would startdraing the fluid and checking for metal... The i would drop the trans... Obviously Making sure everything is connected how it should be as it comes apart... Then if you cant find anything there is a black plate on tbe bottom of the trans... Its 6 bolts and gives you a decently clear view of the internals... If you can see chipped gears or what not then you know what to do
Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so your thinking its a transmission problem... not a clutch problem.... it shifts smoth into 2nd 3rd and 4th but major grind if you try 5th and it runs like normal in all gears thats y i was leaning to clutch not transmission but i shall follow your above mentioned steps
Old Jul 20, 2013, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well to fix it you gotta follow the steps anyway... Minus maybe the plate removal... It doesnt seem right multiple syncros would fail at once.., and it doesnt make sense your tob would fail and still work part duty... But as the trans comes out you'll be able to inspect and repair all of that... So it works regardless... It could even be a tcase failure... The metal shavings could be causing 5 or 1st gear to drag... Who knows... Only way to really tell is to pull it apart