Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Strokers that have lasted 100k+ miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Strokers that have lasted 100k+ miles?

I am under the impression that there arn't any 4g63-64's that can claim this. Was told harmonics kills them all even with billet cranks.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Way to many variables involved to make that a factual statement
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most people with strokers are not on a stock turbo. Most are at the track, and making a lot of power.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrauto50
Most people with strokers are not on a stock turbo. Most are at the track, and making a lot of power.
Right and probably making 5000 miles a year
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting subject. It would be nice to hear from some, but like others have said, if you're running a stroker chances are you're also running a bigger turbo and/or driving it hard a lot and something will break.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

There are very few people running strokers on stock turbos. The vast majority are running much bigger turbos and power. With the amount of miles that are put on for most evo's the bearing refresh intervals won't be bad at all.

The biggest thing that is going to dictate life is your tune and how you use your vehicle. A lot of people blow up stock blocks and then build. A lot of people kill their motors via loss of oil pressure in right hand sweepers on road courses.

In any event, a built stroker is going to last MUCH longer under big power/abuse than a stock block. A lot of people w/ built 2.0 eliminate balance shafts as well, so there is little difference in expected life.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

^ agreed. I've been curious about this as well... I'm by no means a professional engine builder, so bear with me.

If you were to build a stroker with factory like tolerances (piston to wall, thrust etc..) and also at pump gas compression (with a solid/ reliable tune/ low redline rpm)), could you get a good run out of your motor? Meaning a good 50k perhaps? Assuming this was a daily driven/ weekend auto crosser. Also assuming the engine builder was competent (say English racing)
Old Aug 15, 2013, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are plenty of high mileage 2.4L Motors in stock Mitsubishi cars. It isn't a 100mm Crank that's weak by design. It is the use it goes through. The bearings on a stock 2.4 at 140k miles looked new.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Strokers are usually paired with a turbo larger than a Green. Therefore, its lifespan is quite shortened due to the high output. If you want to dig deeper, look up the DSM guys. They've been buildin strokers well before the Evo ever landed on US soil.

I plan to build a 2.3l paired with a Black for track. Going with upgrades that would support 800whp and only shooting for sub 500s. My whole theory is longevity. Guess we'll see
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

That something turns out to be 9/10 the crank. Something i'm not willing to put up with.
Originally Posted by EvilTechnology
Interesting subject. It would be nice to hear from some, but like others have said, if you're running a stroker chances are you're also running a bigger turbo and/or driving it hard a lot and something will break.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Thats why i'd love to see some proof of actual people who have done this. From what i've seen stock 2L kills strokers in longevity no matter what turbo you put on them.
Originally Posted by SDevo13
There are very few people running strokers on stock turbos. The vast majority are running much bigger turbos and power. With the amount of miles that are put on for most evo's the bearing refresh intervals won't be bad at all.

The biggest thing that is going to dictate life is your tune and how you use your vehicle. A lot of people blow up stock blocks and then build. A lot of people kill their motors via loss of oil pressure in right hand sweepers on road courses.

In any event, a built stroker is going to last MUCH longer under big power/abuse than a stock block. A lot of people w/ built 2.0 eliminate balance shafts as well, so there is little difference in expected life.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

I know the larger turbos would put more stress than if one did not have one on their storker.. But i was under the impression HIGH rpm (past i believe 8200rpm) is what kills stokers, specifically talking about the 2.4L.

I remember reading, i think from one of the guys at English racing, that the 2.4L stokers' (meaning using the 4G63 to stoke out to the 2.4L displacement) suffer from accelerated bearing wear due to the excessive axial load/ harmonic vibrations they have inherently by design. This is due to the increased rod length and the bearings not being able to keep up with the load, particularly past 8200ish rpm.

And this is why most prefer the use of 2.3L and even more-so now the 2.2L vs going the 2.4L route. I do have to give credit to where it is due to John Bradley (Aaron @ English Racing), because i believe he is the one who discovered this through his research/ findings.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Thats why i'd love to see some proof of actual people who have done this. From what i've seen stock 2L kills strokers in longevity no matter what turbo you put on them.
....really?

I'd like to see how many 10th's of a second a stock 2L would last on my e98 tune...

And if we are talking about "on safe tunes" of course the stock block lasts longer. Constrained to lower HP and torque figures not to mention the stock valvetrain limits rev's. A identical turbo pairing on a 2.3 vs a stock motor are not the same thing at all. Even smaller turbo pairings. On a 2.3 you don't stop at 400wtq...

Is there increased bearing wear with a 2.3? Yes. Is it just the name of the game when you get into modding engines? Yes. Is it hard to swap bearings every 3 or 4 years? No.

If you think 10-20k service intervals (if you beat the hell our of your motor) on bearings is bad, look at race motors that have 30-40 hour service life's in between rebuilds. Sometimes at costs of $30-40k (Porsche cup cars for instance)
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Constrained to the stock valve train limits rev's? I am only talking about bottom ends. So far as I know Jeff Bush is doing 1300+whp on e98 on the 2L bottom end. Whats yours doing?

Of course my 100k question is aimed more at the guys who DD their cars and race bikes when the chance presents itself, maybe even throw in a track day or two a year. Full interior without chattery clutch kinda guys.
Originally Posted by SDevo13
....really?

I'd like to see how many 10th's of a second a stock 2L would last on my e98 tune...

And if we are talking about "on safe tunes" of course the stock block lasts longer. Constrained to lower HP and torque figures not to mention the stock valvetrain limits rev's. A identical turbo pairing on a 2.3 vs a stock motor are not the same thing at all. Even smaller turbo pairings. On a 2.3 you don't stop at 400wtq...

Is there increased bearing wear with a 2.3? Yes. Is it just the name of the game when you get into modding engines? Yes. Is it hard to swap bearings every 3 or 4 years? No.

If you think 10-20k service intervals (if you beat the hell our of your motor) on bearings is bad, look at race motors that have 30-40 hour service life's in between rebuilds. Sometimes at costs of $30-40k (Porsche cup cars for instance)
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Constrained to the stock valve train limits rev's? I am only talking about bottom ends. So far as I know Jeff Bush is doing 1300+whp on e98 on the 2L bottom end. Whats yours doing?

Of course my 100k question is aimed more at the guys who DD their cars and race bikes when the chance presents itself, maybe even throw in a track day or two a year. Full interior without chattery clutch kinda guys.
....Is english a second language for you?

I really think you need to do some reading because you obviously have no idea wtf you are talking about.

There is no such thing as a STOCK bottom end +1300whp 2L 4G63. Hell even 700+. Yes there have been 600whp+ stock block cars with severely limited torque curves (the stock rods go bye bye around 450wtq)....It is stock displacement but if you think ANY built 1300 WHP 4G63 is going to last even 1000 miles between refreshes you are sadly mistaken.

The issue brought up with longevity has to due with increased vibration due to removal of the balance shafts and rev'ing a 2.3L out past 8250 RPMS. It is the same thing as rev'ing a BUILT (see that word there: "built"<<<< that is important) 2L over 9500 RPMS.

You can set a conservative rev limit on a 2.3L and it will have the same life expectancy as its built 2L counterpart as BOTH 2.0 and 2.3 built motors REMOVE balance shafts.

The only reason ANYONE should ever builds 2.0's anymore is drag racing for the increased rev limit (crossing the traps in 4th) and class restrictions for race classes. If it is a street car moving the power band left and having more torque makes it much more enjoyable. I would really suggest talking to a shop that builds these motors as you obviously think the rest of us are blowing smoke.

Last edited by SDevo13; Aug 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Strokers that have lasted 100k+ miles?