Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Cast Race Manifold for the 4G63

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:05 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Ah, I see.

I had made an assumption that this was mostly a new exhaust manifold being offered to mate with an FP turbo, but now I see that it's potentially greater than that.

So this testing is for just one component of a twin scroll set-up? Forgive my naïveté as my knowledge regarding turbocharged vehicles is mediocre at best.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Would LOVE to see and FP manifold for stock frame turbos.

Edit: Especially if they're priced as well as the DSM counterpart.

Last edited by aggieEVO; Sep 6, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aggieEVO
Would LOVE to see and FP manifold for stock frame turbos.

Edit: Especially if they're priced as well as the DSM counterpart.
Same here. I would bet it's coming soon because when you cast something you usually have more than 1 unit made
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13

So this testing is for just one component of a twin scroll set-up? Forgive my naïveté as my knowledge regarding turbocharged vehicles is mediocre at best.
i imagine that they are now optimizing all aspects of the turbo, e.g., hotside geometry, wheel shapes/sizes. could be one of the most exciting things to happen to the evo in a long while.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Hey FP, I'm right down the road if you need to test this on a stock VIII
Old Sep 6, 2013, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I think you could implement the divided external fairly well on a cast setup. At the very least, I would bet it maintains the divided inlet setup on the manifold and turbine housing so you could use either part independently of the other. The housing could open up though and become single scroll after the inlet flange. I would be very surprised though, as FP isn't going to make that change *****-nilly and I'd be shocked if their testing didn't show superior performance with the fully divided setup. It's fun to speculate.

MOAR PICS!!!!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 04:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
You need to tell Robert to get you a new camera! Looks good man!

Michael
Old Sep 6, 2013, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I think you could implement the divided external fairly well on a cast setup. At the very least, I would bet it maintains the divided inlet setup on the manifold and turbine housing so you could use either part independently of the other. The housing could open up though and become single scroll after the inlet flange. I would be very surprised though, as FP isn't going to make that change *****-nilly and I'd be shocked if their testing didn't show superior performance with the fully divided setup. It's fun to speculate.

MOAR PICS!!!!
I would be stunned if it wasn't twin scroll. The stock wastegate uses a single flapper. Casting the twin scroll just like the stock would be easy. One wastegate can seal it.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets just hope they offer it to the public and its not crazy $$$ like other manifolds.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing worth waiting for is cheap. ^^^
Old Sep 7, 2013, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All the awesome FP talk aside (guess I'll be waiting a little longer to order that upgrade!), does anyone have a suggestion for restrictor orifice diameter to be used between a single exhaust manifold runner and eMAP sensor?

I tapped my EGR valve housing for a nipple, then ran a small length of hose to the sensor (Kavlico to Zeitronix). Currently there's about a 1.25mm (.050") orifice in line to damp pressure, but I still get a real noisy signal. What are others using to attenuate the pulses?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 07:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimpoc
All the awesome FP talk aside (guess I'll be waiting a little longer to order that upgrade!), does anyone have a suggestion for restrictor orifice diameter to be used between a single exhaust manifold runner and eMAP sensor?

I tapped my EGR valve housing for a nipple, then ran a small length of hose to the sensor (Kavlico to Zeitronix). Currently there's about a 1.25mm (.050") orifice in line to damp pressure, but I still get a real noisy signal. What are others using to attenuate the pulses?
I'm using no special orifice, just 1/8" diameter tubing like what FP is using. It has about a ~0.055" ID. For about a 2.5 foot long run, I've got about 4 psi of max noise (see my HTA Green dyno thread). It could be better, but I can still easily calculate the ratio of turbine to boost pressure.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Owens development?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
I would love to see some back-to-back testing of this vs. OEM vs. ported OEM exhaust manifolds.
I'd throw the MAP short-runner into that mix as well.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

More teasers/info please!

Quick Reply: FP Cast Race Manifold for the 4G63