Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fluids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2004, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluids

I have 2nd gear grind.... I have a few questions on what to get...

Tranny Redline MT-90 ???? and how many quarts???
both diffs ..... what fluid and how much?
Brakes ....better fluid...and how much?

thanks for the help!!!

-shahul
Old Feb 25, 2004, 07:02 PM
Account Disabled

Yes I fully and Whole-Heatedly recommend fluids, they are very inportant for the car, any car. There are some neigh-sayers that say fluids are for sissys, but we all know that their cars do not last to long.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I use amsoil. Very good stuff. For the engine it actually runs a little smoother. I will be doing the Diffs and Tranny this weekend. I will post the results.

Paul
Old Feb 26, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

First change I used MT90 in the tranny and lightweight shockproof in the transfer and rear diff. The rear diff chattered at low-speed turning applications. It was verified by redline that shockproof does not have enough friction modifiers to help the clutches slip in low-speed turning applications. So the solution is to add their friction modifier or get a fluid that will break the clutches loose.

My local dealer was more of an Amsoil place than redline, so I would up getting their series 2000 75W90 for the rear diff and everything cleared up.

When I changed the clutch out the other week I also chagned all the fluids again. This time I used MT-90 in the trans and the series 2000 75W90 in the transfer and rear diff. I almost used series 2000 75W90 in the tranny (since my dealer doesn't carry MT-90 anymore), but got paranoid about using a GL-5 compatible gear oil in the transmission. I know that the 75W90 is rated GL-2 through GL-5, so it will bear the loads fine, and that the instruction label says it's alright for transmissions... but I've also heard the horror stories on the forums. So I just decided on using MT-90 again (I got it from a different dealer).

Redline also suggested to me a blend of MTL and MT-90 in the trans to get closer to the 75W85 viscosity that Mitsubishi recommends. They didn't say what the blend should be, but I'd probably do 2 quarts MT-90 and top it off with MTL, which would be a little less the 1 more quart.

Transmission hold 2.9 quarts and the transfer and rear diff hold 0.58 quarts each according to the shop manual and owner's manual. My experience is that none of them actually take quite that much fluid when you're filling them.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

very helpful iodine!!!
any local automotive parts place will carry these?

-shahul
Old Feb 26, 2004, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

oh.... brake fluids??? best for a 4 times a year tracker...?

-shahul
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

If you're looking for redline oils, call them and have them find your local dealers for you. You can get their number off their website, www.redlineoil.com. They only list online vendors on their site. Local auto parts stores like PepBoys or AutoZone will most likely not carry the stuff.

Then call your local dealer to make sure they stock what you're looking for. Like I said, one of my local places isn't carrying MT-90 anymore, but they have lots of MTL, motor oil, and one or two of the shockproofs. Redline gave me another dealer which happens to be right on my way home from work and they had the stuff I was looking for.

For brake fluid you could probably go with something like Valvoline SynPower that you'd find at Pep Boys. It doesn't have as high of boiling points as something like ATE or Motul, but it also costs a lot less. I think there's some sites out there that have comparisons of the dry/wet boiling points of the various fluids on the market.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

thanks again iodine

-shahul
Old Feb 28, 2004, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

I just changed my tranny fluid to GM Syncromesh. I will say that it makes a world of difference. Before I couldn't shift into reverse without putting the car into 4th then quickly putting it into reverse or it would not go. Now I can shift into reverse like normal now with no problems. Also, the overall shifting is extremely smooth, but still notchy. I know it'll take a few miles to break the fluid in then I am sure it will be smooth all the way. For 3 quarts it cost me $35 from the Chevy dealer. I tried it because I know that DSM guys have been using it with great sucess for years and they rate it up there with the BG Syncroshift. I plan on changing my transfer and rear diff oil to redline fluids soon also.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

If you go with redline make sure you get gl4 not gl5. I've been doing a little reading on oils because I'm almost due for a change myself.

Check this thread out...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=66899
Old Feb 29, 2004, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

MT-90 didn't really work for me. I am using Motul now and it's been good so far, still get some notchyness but at least I can shift quick now.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

I think it is 3 quarts for the transmission..
I am using redline... shifting is smoother
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:17 PM

I just changed my tranny and transfer oil this weekend and I must say that after the change to Redline MT90 from factory stuff, it feels more notchy than before, but I will wait a couple of weeks for the oil to settle in before I judge. As for the transfer case, it was kind of weird because I waited at least 5 mins for the oil to drain. When I pumped the new oil in, it took only about 2/5 of the bottle before it started dripping out . That means I have to open it up next week to check on the level again...
Old Feb 29, 2004, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

when I first put in the MT90 the notchyness improved by 50-70%, the shifting were quicker but sometimes still had problem at hi-rev. in 3 weeks, the shifting start getting stuck again at hi-rev. in 2.5 months, I couldn't shift at all at over 6000rpm.
The Motul solved the gear stuck 100% but the notchyness stays unchanged. I am happy with this.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

I just got 3 quarts of the GM syncromesh, they had 2 versions...a full synthetic foir $20 a quart and a partial for $9.50 a quart, you said $35, so I assumed it was the $9.50 syncromesh (manual tranny fluid).... is this right?

and Iodine, the transfer and rear diff feel much better with the redline 2000 in it?

lastly.... any other suggestions for brake fluids?
THANKS!!

-shahul

Quick Reply: Fluids