Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

DSS carbon fiber driveshaft on a evo for those interested in install pictures

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
Things to note:

1. I did have to drill the holes larger in the companion flange (easy to do once removed), to fit the larger upgraded bolts. (I can do this for anyone if they ask)
My under educated question of the day, what exactly is the companion flange? Is that on the differential side or on the drive shaft side?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Info on price please!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

This is on the list for this winter! Ive been in Tom's car noticeable difference for sure. We have very similar builds for people that are not aware.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
there was a guy on ebay selling a new one of these. he said it weighed 23.9lbs on his scale. the stock three piece is 39.5lbs. that would make it a 15.6lb savings. always tough getting exact weights from people so take it with a grain of salt.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Will the AYC model work on a non AYC car? Reason is I plan on getting a AYC evo in the future but want to use it for non AYC now.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_latino999
My under educated question of the day, what exactly is the companion flange? Is that on the differential side or on the drive shaft side?
The companion flange is the piece that connects to the rear differential that the driveshaft bolts to. It looks like this:

It can be easily removed on these cars. I forget the socket size, i believe 26mm. Its held on by about 120tq.

Since the evo uses a solid spacer and shim, there is no crush collar to be worrying about like some other rear diff's.

Originally Posted by Evoixjohn
Info on price please!
PM me for that please.

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
This is on the list for this winter! Ive been in Tom's car noticeable difference for sure. We have very similar builds for people that are not aware.
Ya there's a big difference in smoothness! Yes very similar minus a few things.

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
there was a guy on ebay selling a new one of these. he said it weighed 23.9lbs on his scale. the stock three piece is 39.5lbs. that would make it a 15.6lb savings. always tough getting exact weights from people so take it with a grain of salt.
Its 27.66lbs on my scale.

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Will the AYC model work on a non AYC car? Reason is I plan on getting a AYC evo in the future but want to use it for non AYC now.
I don't think so. There is most likely a reason they have it for AYC and non AYC. If you want I can ask to verify though.
Attached Thumbnails DSS carbon fiber driveshaft on a evo for those interested in install pictures-driveshaft-20nuts-20bolts-20etc.jpg  
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I dug up some more pics I took along time ago with this piece. Here they are.

Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Also -40F is ok for the carbon shaft. DSS said the cold temps will not affect it. Hot temps will though. After a certain temp (very hot), the glue that holds the pieces onto the carbon fiber shaft can fail. I believe its something like 400F+ temps though.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Also -40F is ok for the carbon shaft. DSS said the cold temps will not affect it. Hot temps will though. After a certain temp (very hot), the glue that holds the pieces onto the carbon fiber shaft can fail. I believe its something like 400F+ temps though.
Ok thanks for looking into that, I guess I'll have to get the cf one, the small difference in price between the 2 is well worth the benefits.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

wonder what the temps out a turn-down exhaust are, if it dumps near the shaft...

Did you install a driveshaft loop when you installed this, or are you going with the general consensus that if it fails it'll splinter into a million harmless pieces?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AreSTG
wonder what the temps out a turn-down exhaust are, if it dumps near the shaft...

Did you install a driveshaft loop when you installed this, or are you going with the general consensus that if it fails it'll splinter into a million harmless pieces?
Good question I don't know. But if you look at my car the closed exhaust is pretty close to the shaft!!!!

I did not. Ya that's how I feel about it. They just broom and explode pretty much.

It seems like a loop wouldn't be to difficult though. You could maybe use the existing studs from the one missing carrier bearing location to attach it.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
performance wise is this even worth getting if you currently have the 2 pc aluminum driveshaft from AWD Motorsports or the old Devo Tuning 2 pc driveshaft?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the hp rating on these? Have there been any failures on eves before? Wow 20whp gains??? Looks awesome!!!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did you choose this heavier 2 piece CF DSS over the lighter 1 piece PST CF DS????

Cheaper and lighter.

http://pstds.com/shop/all-carbon-fib...er-driveshaft/

Pics installed on Evo 8

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...installed.html
Old Nov 17, 2014, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by evotris
Why did you choose this heavier 2 piece CF DSS over the lighter 1 piece PST CF DS????

Cheaper and lighter.

http://pstds.com/shop/all-carbon-fib...er-driveshaft/

Pics installed on Evo 8

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...installed.html
Cheaper and lighter yes. But look what I had to do to get it installed. Turns out the issue was my car and not the driveshaft. My avid engine mounts do not line up like a OEM engine mount. Which raised my engine and trans a good inch. There for bringing the driveshaft closer to the top of the tunnel.

Anyone looking to use the 1 piece carbon I highly recommend stock mounts WITH harder bushings. Do not get avid mounts.

Other then that this thing has been awesome.

Quick Reply: DSS carbon fiber driveshaft on a evo for those interested in install pictures