Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 Rattling from Head/Valve Cover Area During Idle and Decleration

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Evo 8 Rattling from Head/Valve Cover Area During Idle and Decleration

Yes, this is another one of those "Weird Evo Noises" threads. Obviously, I'm just looking for a little help and some suggestions here.

I took the Evo out this afternoon, and I was going through a drive-thru I noticed the car making a little more noise than normal. It basically sounds like something rattling around under the valve cover. The sound is especially noticeable at idle and it also gets pretty loud when I let my foot off the gas while driving. It kind of sounds like clutch chatter but I know it's not that because it does it with and without the clutch engaged. Other than the noise, the car runs and drives just like it always has.

Here is a video:
https://plus.google.com/photos/yourp...08629056144064

My mods are: FIC 1250 injectors, Full TBE with test pipe, MAP O2 dump, and speed density tune

Let me know if you guys have any thoughts on this. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Bump. Did some troubleshooting last night and noticed that I don't really hear the noise when the car first starts up. I start hearing it after the car has been running for about 5-10 seconds and it starts out quieter and then gets louder. Drove the car this morning and it drove fine but still sounded the same after driving it for about 45 minutes. It has recently gotten a lot colder here. Could that cause the injectors to be louder or could it be something else? It definitely sounds louder around the back of the head/injector area.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Do you have adjustable cam gears?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheBoz
Do you have adjustable cam gears?
No. Stock cam gears and cams. I pulled the cover off last night just make sure and to check and see if something looked loose.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What oil are you running? Mobil 0w40 was really good at quieting my valvetrain noise that was similar to yours. Mine also only got noticeable after the engine oil was warmed up. I tested a few oils on here, second place was rotella 5w40,
Old Jan 5, 2015, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
What oil are you running? Mobil 0w40 was really good at quieting my valvetrain noise that was similar to yours. Mine also only got noticeable after the engine oil was warmed up. I tested a few oils on here, second place was rotella 5w40,
I hate to say it, but I'm not sure. My guess is Mobil 1. I just bought the car a few months ago and the previous owner had the oil changed right before he sold it to me. Normally, changing the oil is one of the first things I do when I get a new car but I didn't do that this time

A little update: I noticed tonight that RPM doesn't seem to affect the noise. However, it does get very loud and noticeable when engine braking above 4K RPMs.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 06:44 AM
VRP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your probably hearing tob rattle from your clutch, try cruising and just letting off the gas and coasting in 4th gear or 5. If it rattles while coasting down its definitely TOB rattle, they also rattle at idle try pushing the clutch in when its doing it if it silences it there's your noise.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VRP
Your probably hearing tob rattle from your clutch, try cruising and just letting off the gas and coasting in 4th gear or 5. If it rattles while coasting down its definitely TOB rattle, they also rattle at idle try pushing the clutch in when its doing it if it silences it there's your noise.
I know what you're talking about. I can still hear it at idle even when I push the clutch in so I know it's a different noise but it does have a similar sound.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Just wanted to update this and let everyone know what the issue was. Turns out it was my alternator. Not sure what exactly was going that made it sound this way but it eventually seized up on me while I was driving the car about two weeks ago. Had the alternator replaced and everything is good to go now.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Props for actually coming back and posting what the issue was after you figured it out.