Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bearing noise from serpentine belt area after timing belt swap

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 06:39 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
PS will whine if low and the bearings in them seem to fail often. Mine whines a bit, but I assumed you guys were talking about something different.
Diagnosing cars over the internet is really hard, especially diagnosing sounds we can't hear.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 06:42 PM

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
I should get a video of it. Wish I didn't get rid of the extra PS fluid I had sitting around. I did notice the fluid was on the min mark but didn't think much of it. Off to autozone to get some more ...

EDIT: Just got back with some more fluid. Topped it off, turned the wheel back and forth a few times, and the noise is gone. Thanks!

Last edited by orion4096; Mar 3, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 07:20 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by orion4096
I should get a video of it. Wish I didn't get rid of the extra PS fluid I had sitting around. I did notice the fluid was on the min mark but didn't think much of it. Off to autozone to get some more ...

EDIT: Just got back with some more fluid. Topped it off, turned the wheel back and forth a few times, and the noise is gone. Thanks!
congrats, brotha. it's always a relief to solve those annoying issues.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 07:29 PM

Now I have a squeaking sound. Sounds like the belt is rubbing plastic. About once every 0.5-1s. Think it started when I put on the oem belt, but not certain. Definitely wasn't there when the gates belt was on. I'll try pulling the belt again to see if the noise disappears and also try the gates belt. Are the OEM serpentine belts directional? I assume not.

If my car wasn't so stock this random belt noise wouldn't bother me so much. Maybe it's trying to tell me to mod it.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 08:03 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by orion4096
Are the OEM serpentine belts directional? I assume not.
no, sir. they are not.

Maybe it's trying to tell me to mod it.
according to the Mitsubishi service manual, that is exactly what is called for.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
This is my thread....Does it sound like these https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-service.html
Old Mar 6, 2015, 08:03 AM

The new noise sounds exactly like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4p2...ature=youtu.be Thanks for the link.

I checked my timing and the TB belt auto tensioner about 4-5 times after putting in the belt and rotating the engine - hard to believe I'm off a tooth. The noise only started when I was swapping the serpentine belt from gates to oem and serpentine tensioner pulley. So I want to say it's one of those two, but I'll pull the belt off again to double check it's not the timing or balance belts and also swap serpentine belt parts around.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

If you take the Serp belt off does it go away??
Old Mar 6, 2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by silverevo05
If you take the Serp belt off does it go away??
I just tested it. I was wrong - doesn't go away with serpentine belt off. Seems like it only starts making that noise after it warms up and idles at around 750-800 rpm. Checked the cam gears with the upper cover off and they are right on the marks. Guess I'm pulling the lower cover tomorrow and putting the stethoscope on all of the new pulleys and the auto tensioner. Maybe it is the timing belt rubbing the cover...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

^ you are literally experiencing the exact same problems I have.

I am going to say that you will find no problem with the cover rubbing since mine was good. They checked all bearings except the one (within?) the Power steering pump. I guess the PS pump would have to be removed to check it and that is the only one they did not check.

Again all my parts were new and OEM so go fig.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 06:56 PM

My plan tomorrow is to pull the lower timing cover and put the accessories all back together and the serpentine belt on so I can warm it up and not overheat it or drain the battery. Then check for the noise. Then maybe go to the dealer and get a new auto-tensioner since it's possible I compressed the current (was new) one too much when putting it together. The other potential problem is the balance shaft belt is too tight. It seemed loose when I took the old one off and I made the tensioner tighter than it was originally...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Keep us informed

The shop that redid it said the tensioner was a little to tight (couldnt slip the pin in and out too easily.) Either way they made sure the timing was spot on and the tension was right on and it still made the noise
Old Mar 8, 2015, 08:31 AM

Had some time in the morning to look at it. No luck figuring it out.
- Pulled off upper and lower timing covers and put back all accessories and the serpentine belt. Still hear noise. I did notice that when the lower cover is pulled off the noise is quieter.
- Pulled off the serpentine belt. Still hear noise.
- Replaced new/oem balance belt tensioner with another new oem tensioner and made sure the belt wasn't as tight. Still hear noise.
- Replaced new/oem hydraulic TB tensioner with another oem tensioner. Still hear noise.
- Put a stethoscope on hydraulic tensioner and all pulleys and everything sounds like normal bearing sounds. Nothing matches the lower frequency squeal/tick.

I put everything back together and drove it around the block and the noise was gone. That's happened before, though.
- Engine doesn't vibrate more than before.
- No belt whine.
- Drives and idles perfect.
- 18 teeth between left side of exhaust cam mark up to and including tooth on intake cam mark. TB is reasonably tight - pin goes in and out in tensioner. All timing marks are perfectly lined up. I even stuck the screwdriver in the side of the block to make sure the balancer lobe was in the right spot when I first did the belt. Seems like if I was off a tooth somewhere then the marks wouldn't line up anymore.

I'm starting to think the noise was always there, but I never noticed it. Maybe it has nothing to do with the timing belt. I've only driven the car about 5-6 times before the TB change.

So now I'm not sure what to do. I could bring it to the dealer or fftec and have them try to figure out the noise or put a completely new timing belt kit on there. The only mods the car has is the evoX map sensor and some gauges.

EDIT: What about an exhaust leak? I did pull the (stock) downpipe off to get access to the side of the block.

Last edited by orion4096; Mar 8, 2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Mar 29, 2015, 04:41 PM

I decided to throw some more money at the problem. Ordered the bracket that everyone else says is causing rubbing (even though the problem is still there for you) along with a new crank trigger wheel. The noise isn't as obvious now that I don't go listening for it, but it's still there. It's always at idle, water is fully warmed up, and in between 0-3 miles of the drive on the way to getting groceries during the morning. I never hear it at the store (5+ miles away) or when pulling back into the garage afterwards. It only gets driven 10-15 miles a week on the grocery run.

Not excited to do another timing belt job, but given that I've been in there 2 times already it should be quick. Plus this time the balancer belt and water pump/hoses don't need replacement.

Quick Reply: bearing noise from serpentine belt area after timing belt swap