Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New Mil.Spec 65mm ThrottleBody install has sudden P0506 and Low Idle months later

Old May 12, 2015, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Mil.Spec 65mm ThrottleBody install has sudden P0506 and Low Idle months later

I swapped a broken full blown 70mm TB for the Mil.Spec 65mm ported unit back in the fall of last year, did not update tune i had from CBRD.

I also switched:
  • Stock route ETS UICP to a CBRD short route
  • 3.5" ETS ic to a 3.8" Garrett core
  • Stock intake pipe to a Perrin Intake
Everything was fine until the weather got warm a few weeks back and my idle now drops to 500 rpm and i got the code:
----------------------------------------------
P0506 Idle Air Control system RPM lower than expected

I read that a TB cleaning and ECU reset is in order but maybe it really needs a retune to account for the new throttle body maybe it's running too rich getting dirty? I also have an old filthy Amsoil air filter waiting to be replaced which could be an issue.

Questions:
  • Do I have to remove the TB to clean it?
  • Should I use standard CRC brand TB cleaner or would you recommend I just put some seafoam in there?
  • Do I have to be careful to not scrub off the sealant layer on the Mil.Spec 65mm ThrottleBody as I would on the stock unit?
  • Is this something I should [have] tune[d] for right away?
Please help!

Last edited by wjamyers; May 13, 2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old May 13, 2015, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check your IAC valve:

Old May 13, 2015, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, will do. Running a cheap ebay IAC at the moment. Voltage never tested right (with multimeter) and it idled a little bit high occasionally with the AC compressor on, but for the most part was fine. the housing seems like cheaper material than the stock unit. it is on my list to check.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

BTW, yes I did search for "P0506" here and there were only three threads containing only one claim of success, not even from the OP, the resolution being clean TB and reset "battery" (ECU, i guess).

I also searched for Mil.Spec-specific instructions for cleaning the TB, I just want to make sure that if they exist I follow them.

And I will not leave this thread dead after I resolve this issue as the others did.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
check your iac = borrow 1 from a friend. honestly a 5 minute swap over. Generally, when the iac fails, it doesnt close; or so what i have seen, then the thing will idle high.

if you were to unplug your iac & start it up, the engine should rev to ~2300/2600 rpm. if you unplug it, make sure the engine is warmed up first.

can you verify that the tps is fine as well, with regards to idle voltage & WOT?

im 99% confident it doesnt have anything to do with the tb, as there isnt a whole lot that will make your car suddenly idle at 500 rpm.

how does the car drive otherwise?
Old May 13, 2015, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
check your iac = borrow 1 from a friend. honestly a 5 minute swap over. Generally, when the iac fails, it doesnt close; or so what i have seen, then the thing will idle high.

if you were to unplug your iac & start it up, the engine should rev to ~2300/2600 rpm. if you unplug it, make sure the engine is warmed up first.

can you verify that the tps is fine as well, with regards to idle voltage & WOT?

im 99% confident it doesnt have anything to do with the tb, as there isnt a whole lot that will make your car suddenly idle at 500 rpm.

how does the car drive otherwise?

I don't know how to verify the tps, I'll look into ... I don't think this is a problem with the TB either, but perhaps the tune?

The car was completely fine for many months and now, when you're on the throttle and it climbs past 1000 RPMs, it seems more or less normal.

But I did want you guys to confirm the Mil.Spec TB cleaning procedure before I started... remove it? Use CRC? Avoid scrubbing the inside? Hoping to hear it from the horses mouth.
Old May 13, 2015, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
how many months is "many"?

there shouldn't be a reason to clean the tb, even after a few years.

what is getting on the tb?

do you have evoscan or know someone who does?

have you tried unplugging the iac yet? no tools required & takes less than 5 seconds to disconnect.
Old May 13, 2015, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
how many months is "many"?

there shouldn't be a reason to clean the tb, even after a few years.

what is getting on the tb?

do you have evoscan or know someone who does?

have you tried unplugging the iac yet? no tools required & takes less than 5 seconds to disconnect.

I guess 18 months or so, you know you're getting old when 18 months feels like 6.

I'll take your word that it's not likely it needs cleaning. I do have evoscan and it worked to pull the code so I expect it's fully functional. I haven't had time to do the IAC check, had class after work tonight. Maybe tomorrow night. Will let you know. Thanks very much for your help.
Old May 14, 2015, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

As soon as I started looking at the IAC the problem was obvious... the damn screws were loose!

Tightened them back up and reset the battery and went for a drive... vroom!

Sorry to waste people's time, but at least anyone who searches re: P0506 can find out to make sure their IAC is tightened up.

Does anyone know the torque spec? I tend to break stuff so I have to be really careful not to over torque things (especially tiny little screws going into aluminum) and then this type of dumb crap happens. I have a little HF 1/4" torque wrench that measures in/lbs.
Old May 14, 2015, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Never mind:

Originally Posted by VR4 Kev
Old May 15, 2015, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Glad you solved the issue

Now go enjoy the heck out of that MIL.SPEC TB

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; May 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old May 15, 2015, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Wink

silkey smooth...
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

the low idle came back pretty much immediately.

When I finally took the car to Moore Automotive, they said my spark plugs were badly fouled causing the low idle causing the CEL. I guess going from a 70mm to a 65mm TB without tuning resulted in running too rich which is why it took months to finally cause problems with fouling.

just posting an update for everyone else to learn from my mistakes. changing throttle bodies? tune your car!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

It was more complicated than that, even.

The first hot day I was driving around the exact same thing happened. I drove it home and immediately switched back to my original OEM IAC and ... problem solved. Again. For now.

So, looks like a compound problem, exacerbated by my originally just chucking parts at it.

FYI