Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Too Much Boost, Solenoid stays open

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Too Much Boost, Solenoid stays open

Hello All,

I had just replaced my wastegate actuator due to the other one going bad, but now I do not see the waste gate arm ever open under normal operation. I can put the rated pressure through the line to open it but it appears the OEM boost controller solenoid is staying open.

I do not have a manual boost controller, it is setup to be controlled by the ECU. While the car is running I can simulate the solenoid shutting by plugging the line and see the arm move as boost builds.

I have also used evoscan to test the solenoid and it appears to be working correctly. I am new to turbos and not really sure what sensor is telling the ECU to close the solenoid to let off boost.

Any help or explanation would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteHat
Hello All,

I had just replaced my wastegate actuator due to the other one going bad, but now I do not see the waste gate arm ever open under normal operation. I can put the rated pressure through the line to open it but it appears the OEM boost controller solenoid is staying open.

I do not have a manual boost controller, it is setup to be controlled by the ECU. While the car is running I can simulate the solenoid shutting by plugging the line and see the arm move as boost builds.

I have also used evoscan to test the solenoid and it appears to be working correctly. I am new to turbos and not really sure what sensor is telling the ECU to close the solenoid to let off boost.

Any help or explanation would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I am in a similar boat but just the opposite I am under boosting
Old Mar 24, 2016, 01:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
First, the waste gate solenoid remains shut until target boost or load is reached and then it opens to send boost to the actuator to open the wastegate. It sounds like it's working properly to me. Go out and log a pull..