Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How bad did I mess this up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
true. but you should do the research before just messing with stuff. i never do a major job without the service manual (you can download it for free). even though i'm pretty familiar with cars, especially mine, i tend to forget little things.

having your cams so far off (twice) is really bad and can end up costing you quite a bit. hopefully not..

but that's a really important job to attempt without knowing what you are doing.
Yea I knew it was going to be a difficult job I could've prepared more I do admit. But I do want to learn this car as I'm not planning on selling it.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
In all reality, IF it bent valves, He can replace the few that bent (it will likely only be one cylinder if anything happened) and then get the whole head rebuilt (fresh valve job and seals, surfaced) for less then $300. So, it's not an end of the world mistake. Doing the work himself he has saved a good bit more than that on labor, and he's learning.
OK in all reality then if there was no binding or even sound of the valves touching. There's a chance I didn't bend any of them. I only turned it by hand. After I read this I loosened the belt turned then crank counter clockwise quarter of a turn and turned the cam gears by hand and they fell into place.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:57 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
In all reality, IF it bent valves, He can replace the few that bent (it will likely only be one cylinder if anything happened) and then get the whole head rebuilt (fresh valve job and seals, surfaced) for less then $300. So, it's not an end of the world mistake. Doing the work himself he has saved a good bit more than that on labor, and he's learning.
true, but doing it more than once can get pricey. then there is all the time involved, which i consider more precious than the money. but if he's not in a hurry, then that's not a big deal either.

Originally Posted by evo_nation
Yea I knew it was going to be a difficult job I could've prepared more I do admit. But I do want to learn this car as I'm not planning on selling it.
i hear that. i'm the same way. but just do a bit of checking next time to save ya some labor. at least you didn't try to start the car. that's a huge relief.

Originally Posted by evo_nation
OK in all reality then if there was no binding or even sound of the valves touching. There's a chance I didn't bend any of them. I only turned it by hand. After I read this I loosened the belt turned then crank counter clockwise quarter of a turn and turned the cam gears by hand and they fell into place.
if you turned it by hand and didn't have to force it, then you should be good!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
true, but doing it more than once can get pricey. then there is all the time involved, which i consider more precious than the money. but if he's not in a hurry, then that's not a big deal either.
Yea tell me about it two head gaskets later lol

Originally Posted by kaj
i hear that. i'm the same way. but just do a bit of checking next time to save ya some labor. at least you didn't try to start the car.
Yea everything was still in pieces I got the intake back on and exhaust mani back on and luckily I came on here to make sure all was well but wasn't. All my fault thou I admit it and learn from my mistakes. Well some of them haha

Originally Posted by kaj
if you turned it by hand and didn't have to force it, then you should be good!
Yes every single time was turned by hand I cut both my hands at the very beginning so I couldn't put much pressure to begin with. So I put everything back on belt tensioned the way it was supposed to waited 15 min after I put tension with the actuator grenade pin still moves in and out freely. So I turned the crank 6 times after putting a lil oil on the cams to lube them up still not much resistance and no crazy noises and timing marks line up on all locations! Might have to do a leak down test after its all said and done. Gives me time to look for a beater badly hahah.Name:  Screenshot_2015-12-07-17-11-21_1.png
Views: 0
Size:  452.4 KB

Last edited by evo_nation; Dec 10, 2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:56 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I installed my engine and trans....drove it....then had to take it back apart because I forgot to torque the flywheel bolts. Then realized I actually didn't forget.

So, yeah. We all make mistakes.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 01:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I installed my engine and trans....drove it....then had to take it back apart because I forgot to torque the flywheel bolts. Then realized I actually didn't forget.

So, yeah. We all make mistakes.
This is why we mark vital components with a paint pen. Hard to forget/worry that way...lol

I'm glad it looks like everything is OK.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

thanks again gentlemen for all your information and knowledge. hopefully everything goes back together well and if it doesn'tat least I know I can do the job and half the time haha 😂