Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Advice Needed

So the other day I was taking a couple of friends out for a ride in the precious Evo. During a 2nd gear pull heard a loud pop and the car started to stop. So I pulled over and got towed home (it was night, couldn't really see). The next day found out it was the intercooler boot to throttle body that had popped off under the pressure. Put that back on and realized the clamp is screwed seeing as it popped off again the next day when doing a pull. This evening when I was leaving work, I let it warm up for about 9 minutes or so (it's like 17 degrees here in Missouri), and when I was leaving I noticed there was a bunch of smoke bellowing out of the exhaust and clouding up the road. Before I got to a point where I could pull over to check it out I had made a turn onto another street, letting off the throttle doing so, and the smoke stopped pouring out. I thought it was a head gasket at first but after talking to a couple people they were thinking that it was possibly the turbo. I haven't had the chance to check it out yet, but I wanted to get some knowledge just incase it is the turbo. So if my turbo is done for and I have to replace it, I was looking at FP. I've heard the FP Red's are pretty good. My question is, since it would be a bolt up turbo, do I need to have any other support mods other than pump/injectors? I'm pretty much stock except for exhaust/intercooler/cold air intake. I don't wanna slap on a FP Red just to have it blow other components costing me more than what I want to spend right now. Anyone have some insight? Would I be better off just throwing on another OEM turbo and then upgrading it later?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
A turbo upgrade is an all inclusive mod. You'll need injectors, a fuel pump, intercooler, intercooler piping would be ideal. And you have to make sure you get an MHI housing red. FP doesn't always have them. They have the new stainless single scroll housing that requires an external waste gate and vband downpipe.

It is likely you hurt the turbo. A boot popping off is a good way to over speed it. And it happened twice, and its smoking.