Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which Balance Shaft Do you run or plan on running?
OEM Mitsubishi Stubby Shaft
42.86%
AMS Race Shaft
4.08%
GSC Race Shaft
16.33%
Magnus Stubby Shaft
0%
Stock Balance Shaft
36.73%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Evo Balance Shaft Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo Balance Shaft Thread

Hey evom,
I wanted to create a poll of what everyone is using for a balance shaft in their builds. A centralized place to find good data.

Vote on the BSE that you run or are planning to use in your build.

If you've had any failures / successes let us know which BSE you ran.

I've read dozens of threads all over, not just evom, anywhere 4G63 related...so many mixed responses.

I've spoken to a handful of shops and they've all basically said the OEM stubby is the way to go...

hopefully we can get a good amount of data here for everyone to see.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.3 build with stock balance shaft. Only going on 2 years so i don't expect any issues
Old Feb 19, 2016, 08:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
I'm a fan of the stock BS for around 8000ish or less. Proper oil/belt changes and they should be trouble free.

Some of the biggest issues when deleting them are excessive vibration,clutch issues and bolts backing out. For a street car that isn't turning really high rpm in seems like a good idea to keep them. Automobile manufactures do a lot of R&D before releasing something. The Japanese are no exception. You don't have to "upgrade" everything on the Evo, its pretty badass right out of the gate.

Jacks trans wrote a really good article on keeping them.

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...balance-shafts

Fwiw I bought my car with 70K , did the 60K service with all the pulleys/tensioners/belts. Then proceeded to run it hard on road course days and runs for the next 24K. Never had an issue with them.
I'm also one of those guys that never runs a cold engine hard. I'd wait until the oil was at least 160* before hammering on it. I'd also run 20/50 Vr1 on track days to help with any oil pressure issues that could come up on sticky tires.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
I'm a fan of the stock BS for around 8000ish or less. Proper oil/belt changes and they should be trouble free.

Some of the biggest issues when deleting them are excessive vibration,clutch issues and bolts backing out. For a street car that isn't turning really high rpm in seems like a good idea to keep them. Automobile manufactures do a lot of R&D before releasing something. The Japanese are no exception. You don't have to "upgrade" everything on the Evo, its pretty badass right out of the gate.

Jacks trans wrote a really good article on keeping them.

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...balance-shafts

Fwiw I bought my car with 70K , did the 60K service with all the pulleys/tensioners/belts. Then proceeded to run it hard on road course days and runs for the next 24K. Never had an issue with them.
I'm also one of those guys that never runs a cold engine hard. I'd wait until the oil was at least 160* before hammering on it. I'd also run 20/50 Vr1 on track days to help with any oil pressure issues that could come up on sticky tires.
Waiting for oil temp to come up is a probably a huge deal one the bshafts and belt living. Having a good knock free tune is also important.

I bought my car in 2013 with 11k miles. I changed the belts at 20k when the harmonica balancer fell of the crank timing cog/pulley. Car now has 46k miles and I'm not easy on it. Still going strong.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I have a 2.3 that will be getting assembled soon. I have done everything in my power to minimize the risk of anything happening with the balance shafts since I am keeping them. I am running upgraded balance shaft bearings and both those bearings and the balance shafts are WPC treated. So if they ever decide to seize up, there wasn't much else I could have done
Old Feb 23, 2016, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i decided to leave the BS out when i got a new dealer oem short block last year. my car is mostly track car. one benefit of BS delete is higher oil pressure, which is important for long right hand turns.

i personally know two people who had BS belt broke and took out the timing belt. both did the 60k service. but they also track on the regularly. or maybe who ever did the 60k service didn't tighten the BS belt correctly.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
34K trouble-free miles on a 2.3L with a machined front shaft, rotating assembly is balanced and has a Fluidampr.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Im building my engine now. Will be going with OEM Mitsubishi Stubby Shaft, Fluidampr and will balance my internals as well
Old Mar 7, 2016, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Waiting for oil temp to come up is a probably a huge deal one the bshafts and belt living. Having a good knock free tune is also important.

I bought my car in 2013 with 11k miles. I changed the belts at 20k when the harmonica balancer fell of the crank timing cog/pulley. Car now has 46k miles and I'm not easy on it. Still going strong.
Had that happen on the dyno haha not fun.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
No BS going in my build OEM stubby
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I did my bs delete last month! And I put a
Oil pressure gauge and I’m reading 8 psi on
Idle and at 3500rpm’s 52 psi and full trotle
Around 70 psi ! Is this normal? What pressure you guys
Running with balance shafts and without it ?
Any info on that ?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
that seems way low, unless your gauge is wrong. im at 20 psi at idle and 100+ at higher rpm
Old Oct 19, 2017, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
@ evo flush. Are you sure the bearings are turned properly after removing the balance shafts? Don't continue to run it like that you will most likely spin a bearing.
The following users liked this post:
evo_flush (Oct 20, 2017)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I hear both sides of the story BS should remain or BS should be removed. Then those that say BS should stay say that the Mitsubishi Engineers designed the motor and BS etc... Well then I have two things that run through my mind regarding all this back and forward arguments.

1. If BS removal is bad why did Mitsubishi design a delete ? Isnt the “OEM Stubby” an OEM part ?

2. Is it true that that the JDM Evo’s dont have Balance Shafts ?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I was doing a timing belt job on my car last week and encountered a stuck crank bolt. I thought - people run without the b-belt, how bad can it be? Answer - I don't like it at all. This turns a sweet little engine into a very noisy machine. So, going back in to correct my mistake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo Balance Shaft Thread