Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo water line leaks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 01:58 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I was gonna ask about the surface of the pipes. It seems like the slightest imperfection in the surface keeps them from sealing no matter what.

As for the copper washers on all of our banjo bolts: when I pull them off, I can see where they have formed around the edges to seal in the fluids. As long as I am seeing that, I'm using copper washers. LOL

Oddly enough, my MIVEC line where it goes into the head keeps leaking no matter what I do. New copper washers and torqued 1 to 2 pounds above spec, still leaking.
It's very frustrating as it drips down my dipstick onto the oil pan and spreads everywhere from there.
Maybe I should remove the inside washer LOL
Old Jun 8, 2016, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Lol obviously not a "battle" it was merely a metaphor. But glad you enjoyed it, Im bored at work right meow...anyway while youre a're right that the surfaces are supposed to be perfectly flat, and they should seal without any crush washers it is still common practice to use a crush washer on both sides and new ones every time its undone.

Glad to hear that it has worked for you in the past however I think its not wise to do so especially given your comment about tightening it a little more as banjo bolts snap very easily and even more troublesome would be when you rip out the aluminum thread in the head.

Anyway,glad its no longer leaking. I think the corosion on the hard lines is very common, I mean there is literally water running through there. I cleaned up my old hard lines with a scotch brite or steel wool or something prior to installing new rubber hoses. Now have the body shop fix your car properly and I wish you luck with everything!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I was gonna ask about the surface of the pipes. It seems like the slightest imperfection in the surface keeps them from sealing no matter what.

As for the copper washers on all of our banjo bolts: when I pull them off, I can see where they have formed around the edges to seal in the fluids. As long as I am seeing that, I'm using copper washers. LOL

Oddly enough, my MIVEC line where it goes into the head keeps leaking no matter what I do. New copper washers and torqued 1 to 2 pounds above spec, still leaking.
It's very frustrating as it drips down my dipstick onto the oil pan and spreads everywhere from there.
Maybe I should remove the inside washer LOL

Not every instance is the same. Especially with oil sealing, always use washers. Try a softer copper type washer.

Marios
Old Jun 8, 2016, 02:17 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Evo8cy
Not every instance is the same. Especially with oil sealing, always use washers. Try a softer copper type washer.

Marios
Well, yeah. That's what goes in there.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Lol obviously not a "battle" it was merely a metaphor. But glad you enjoyed it, Im bored at work right meow...anyway while youre a're right that the surfaces are supposed to be perfectly flat, and they should seal without any crush washers it is still common practice to use a crush washer on both sides and new ones every time its undone.

Glad to hear that it has worked for you in the past however I think its not wise to do so especially given your comment about tightening it a little more as banjo bolts snap very easily and even more troublesome would be when you rip out the aluminum thread in the head.

Anyway,glad its no longer leaking. I think the corosion on the hard lines is very common, I mean there is literally water running through there. I cleaned up my old hard lines with a scotch brite or steel wool or something prior to installing new rubber hoses. Now have the body shop fix your car properly and I wish you luck with everything!

If one is not capable with his hands and or does not have the insight on an engine then one should not touch one. I never mentioned the head, I only quoted about the MHI housing. The head is aluminium and with aluminum one should always be more careful when tightening things. The MHI housing is made of cast iron and the water bolt is pretty strong so it can take quite a bit more force than what mitsi says, so do most of the 4g63 bolts. But even when **** happens a good mechanic knows how to un-**** things lol.

And although the body shop comment was not meant for me, I only use one when I do not have the space or equipment to do the job myself, otherwise I am a better painter than most professionals I know.

That's it from me, you all have a nice day now!

Marios
Old Jun 8, 2016, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Well, yeah. That's what goes in there.

No, you did not get what I said, try an aftermarket washer which is made of softer copper than the oem one, or a thinner one.

Marios
Old Jun 8, 2016, 02:41 PM
kaj

You sure have a condescending way of wording things. LOL
Old Jun 8, 2016, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
You sure have a condescending way of wording things. LOL

It is most likely the way you and I'm sure others perceive it. But it is far from reality or my intention to do so. I am just frank, straightforward on reality as it is, too straightforward sometimes in a strong way which it is nevertheless much better than the usual bull**** you might get from people.

Marios
Old Jun 8, 2016, 02:59 PM
kaj

Right. Totally our bad.

Last edited by kaj; Jun 8, 2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol this thread was funny. I sprayed a little copper gasket spray on the two sealing washers with success. I think softer aluminum is a good idea someone posted above too.