Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

catch can. best setup

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catch can. best setup

hey everyone i am just wondering how everyone is running there catch cans. This is the next small thing i am doing so i want to make sure i have everything to get the job done before i start. I see there are many different ways to do this. Some people use stock nipples, some switch to 6an, one guy in the picture drilled his own hole.. some use pvc others just block it when they dont use it?

do you think it is worth putting one on and not switching to 6an? i really dont want to pull the valve cover because i just did the valve cover gasket 2 weeks ago so is it possible to switch to 6an without removing cover?

i am looking at the evo 8 can that mounts on the strut bar or i have plents of space where ics was for a different model.
-- strut mount one--

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...3_6&tech_id=21

--shows they use stock nipples

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Size:  20.4 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Size:  98.1 KB

Thanks to all

hell yea Murica
Old Mar 23, 2016, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a lot of threads on this.

From what I have read, I believe it is best to eliminate the PCV completely from the picture.... I grabbed a pic from STM (I'm running this setup) showing their -6AN fittings into the valve covers. Valve cover doesn't need to come off when going to AN fittings. You will cap the vacuum nipple for the PCV shown in the pic here, as well nipple on the intake boot if you are running a stock accordion type boot too...Here is a link to their catch can.
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._catch_can.htm

Last edited by lghtngyello03; Mar 23, 2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Don't worry about the valve cover gasket. I still have my original oem one with 105k miles and its been on and off a half dozen times without using rtv at the cam humps or anything... No leaks.

Last edited by XSivPSI; Mar 23, 2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Did you miss the 90 page sticky on this topic?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:46 AM

my tb seals, and gaskets are suppose to be here today from them i should of thrown that in as well from STM. i ran across that write up before but i couldn't figure out how to switch the fittings.(good to know i dont have to pull the vc now).

Don't worry about the valve cover gasket. I still have my original oem one with 105k miles and its been on and off a half dozen times without using rtv at the cam humps or anything... No leaks.
mine had 90k leaking a quart every 1000 miles from being reused but mine was rock solid. good to know if i have to pull it that it wont cost $100

and

after the first page i give up because people will go off topic.. but no i didint ill check that out now thank you
Old Mar 24, 2016, 05:57 AM

damn that guys serious in that forum. he has his dipstick spring clipped down and it still pops out some under boost and leaks oil. i got to the third page and your not kidding that ****s long
Old Mar 24, 2016, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
You'll learn what you need to know in there.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I am late to the post, but here is another option.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I can recommend this company: http://www.radiumauto.com/Catch-Can-...-8-9-P385.aspx

They make catch cans designed specially for car. Installation took me like 10 minutes.

Old Oct 24, 2020, 08:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone

Yes this. All the info is in there that is available. Anything else discussed in a seperate thread will be just as OT mixed and variable is there. But there are lots of diagrams/sketches and product reviews with varying successes to read about from people who have done it, discussed it, and dont really want to rehash it.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Yes this. All the info is in there that is available. Anything else discussed in a seperate thread will be just as OT mixed and variable is there. But there are lots of diagrams/sketches and product reviews with varying successes to read about from people who have done it, discussed it, and dont really want to rehash it.

Funny. I made that comment in 2016. I saw this thread initially not realizing its a 2016 thread and I was reading to post the exact same thing, with the link...
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by SEETO

I know I am late to the post, but here is another option.
I run those cans on my GTR and with a simple mod they work quite well. I simply welded a perforated tube to the inside of the can and then wrapped it with a stainless scrubby from Walmart. This forces the oil vapor to the bottom of the can and then up through the stainless scrubby, which condenses the oil and only allows the air to vent. The condensed oil then falls to the bottom of the can. You can get them on Amazon for ~$25/per. This is not what I run on the EVO, but definitely a cheap can option if you have the ability to modify.

Old Oct 27, 2020, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I pretty much open up the cap (section you weilded/extended) and put the stainless scrub in it.
Your looks like a better idea, I might do that in the future. Cheers