Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Self-Built oil pan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:41 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
From this point forward, I will no longer be brokering orders. I will not ask for more to be made. I will not ask for the CAD files, pictures, or any other info.
I've done what I can to help peeps out and it's costing me too much money and becoming far more trouble than it's worth to me.
Thanks to all that have placed orders in the past, as I appreciate your patience and understanding.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Kaj, I’m really sorry to hear this. I have know idea what went down, but I can only imagine how bad it must have become to sour you in this way.
Speaking for myself, I hope it wasn’t about the money or lack there of. I highly doubt it was but I just wanted to put it out there that paying a reasonable amount more for a custom piece like this would of been completely understandable.
If it was just the level of frustration... Sorry things couldn’t stay civilized. In the end the shop doesn’t want to do the work, the community is losing out on a great product, and worst of all you get caught in the crossfire and have to pull back to protect yourself. It sucks for all, but you have to do what’s needed.
Either way I just wanted to say thanks for all your help with this. There’s a few key people that have helped out this community above and beyond in my mind and you are one of those people on that short list. Please don’t let this get you too down and know you’re help is much appreciated.

Eric
Old Feb 23, 2019, 09:21 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by APEXR
Kaj, I’m really sorry to hear this. I have know idea what went down, but I can only imagine how bad it must have become to sour you in this way.
Speaking for myself, I hope it wasn’t about the money or lack there of. I highly doubt it was but I just wanted to put it out there that paying a reasonable amount more for a custom piece like this would of been completely understandable.
If it was just the level of frustration... Sorry things couldn’t stay civilized. In the end the shop doesn’t want to do the work, the community is losing out on a great product, and worst of all you get caught in the crossfire and have to pull back to protect yourself. It sucks for all, but you have to do what’s needed.
Either way I just wanted to say thanks for all your help with this. There’s a few key people that have helped out this community above and beyond in my mind and you are one of those people on that short list. Please don’t let this get you too down and know you’re help is much appreciated.

Eric
Thanks for the kind words! Short version is:

I'm not there to see the condition of the pans that come in and I'm not there to see what goes out. If there is a problem from the shop side or a problem from the buyer side, I'm in the middle and deal with both. That's fine, though as I accepted that responsibility when I agreed to doing this. Since I "wasn't there" I have to rely on what both parties say and try to fix it using that info. Each side ends up unhappy with the other. Add to that repeated shipping costs, and I keep ending up in holes deeper than intended. The first batch wasn't too bad, but this one is turning into a nightmare.
The first fix was to make a disclaimer that he'd do brand new oil pans only.. but now it's just to the point that I don't want to do this any more. I'm 100% obsessed with being fair and getting these things out in a reasonable time and that you guys are happy with them; to the point I lose sleep over it. I'm too old to be losing sleep, so I'm done.

Old Feb 23, 2019, 07:28 PM
kaj

I went to the shop today and there was a Dyno Day going on. I took some pics that made me LOL and a little sad. Then got a video of my friend's Mustang, posting top WHP of the day. Free donuts and coffee sure were nice.

Old Feb 23, 2019, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
What was all the smoke at the end? I usually see black puffs if smoke from unburned fuel. Hope that wasn't coolant.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 07:37 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
What was all the smoke at the end? I usually see black puffs if smoke from unburned fuel. Hope that wasn't coolant.
Not sure. I've never had a car make enough power to have any clue on what it takes to do so and it's effects. I don't expect 1,000whp to burn super clean, but again.. I don't really know LOL
Old Feb 23, 2019, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

By the way, we could have ordered a bunch of new pans to start with and have it delivered straight to shop. It would have saved us from reshipping there. $188 shipped isn't a bad price for a new pan. Then add the cost to mod and ship to buyer.

Sorry you ended up stuck in middle of confusion. Thanks for your help to get us this pan. I'll try to install it tomorrow.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 08:15 PM
kaj

Well, I can't blame anyone for wanting to save $200+ (what most of us pay. I think mine was about $220). My first modded pan was used.. only bought a new one because a different shop ruined the used one
I'm not saying sending a used pan was a bad idea. That made things a bit difficult but not why we decided not to do it any more.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Here are some late pictures.

Old Feb 24, 2019, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Old Feb 24, 2019, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

As you can see, trap doors are installed in a diamond formation so oil can enter from 2 doors while car is going forward or reverse. But when turning right or drag racing, it draws from the large reservoir closest to radiator.
On the flip side, more doors means more potential for leaks. Lol

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Feb 24, 2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

I hope the pan bottom is exactly the same as OEM depth. Otherwise, the oil pickup will lose capacity. I didn't measure since I shipped my pan without opening package from dealer. These guys are professionals, so they know to only go out wider, not ant deeper.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Old Feb 24, 2019, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

The sheet metal they used is much thicker than oem pan. I'd guess it's at least twice as thick...and can hold up to rocks hitting it for many years. Lol
Old Feb 24, 2019, 01:59 PM
kaj

On the flip side, more doors means more potential for leaks. Lol
leaks? If you mean oil getting past the trap doors, you should see how quick oil gets by on the stock pan. It's ludicrous.
You can have more baffling and less doors if you don't mind restricting the oil coming in, which is worse. The oil coming in is far more than what gets past this hinges. There are compromises. Unfortunately we can't have it both ways.
​​​

I hope the pan bottom is exactly the same as OEM depth. Otherwise, the oil pickup will lose capacity. I didn't measure since I shipped my pan without opening package from dealer. These guys are professionals, so they know to only go out wider, not ant deeper.
that was covered in a previous post. I thought it was you who asked, but it's been a while, so probably not. My brain doesn't work as well as it used to LOL
Both pans are the same height to fit splitters, undertrays, etc.
I think Moroso and one other brand has a deeper sump, but we decided that was unnecessary.

Quick Reply: Self-Built oil pan