Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Custom catch can build and install

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Custom catch can build and install

After upgrading to s3 cams and a black turbo I was in need of better crank case ventilation. I previously had an APG catch can off the intake manifold and stock vacuum line to the intake. The can was filling up quick and i was getting some oil in the the intake pipe. I really like STM's sealed catch can. It is what a proper set up for high power street driven application should be. But the 550 price tag is steep. Fortunately for me I can weld. I was able to build it for half the price. I used jegs push lock hoses and AN fittings they cost about half as much as earl's or russell braided AN lines. But still not cheap. I spent $165 on hoses and fittings including the weld on bungs. I think thats why the STM can cost so much when your paying 20-26 per fitting they add up quick. For the can I use .100 6061 aluminum sheet. Probably could have used thinner material and made it lighter but it weighed in at 1 lb 3 oz not to bad. Unlike the STM can i only used two 6AN lines off the valve cover insted of a 10AN and 6AN. But i have a 3rd port for a future upgrade i can run another 6AN line off the valve cover or vented dipstick tube. I also reused the factory check valve in stead of buying one that cost $35-50 with AN fittings on it. I removed the valve cover to install STM AN valve cover fittings and had to drill out the hole for the front fitting. I dont know if the mivec valve cover is diffrent. But I thought they were just pushed in.

I cut these on a table saw with a carbide tipped blade

I added a baffle to direct incoming air flow downward

Stainless steel wool to catch any air born oil particles

top down view. the air will enter the front side and exit out the top through the mesh

all tacked together time to welderup

all welded out with mounting brackets

I welded a 10AN bung on my intake pipe

here is the can mounted to the transmission

I used a 1/8 female ntp to 1/4 barb fitting to reuse the check valve

install complete
Old May 15, 2016, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
This is something I need to do too. With my Black my intercooler and piping is getting some serious oil into it.

Have you considered venting the bottom side too?

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...er_fitting.htm
Old May 16, 2016, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that's why I have a 3rd port on the can. I plan on building 2.3l so I will run a 3rd line to ether the oil inspection port or a vented dip stick tube.
The following users liked this post:
JRally (May 21, 2016)