Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

King Vs Acl bearings, give us your experience

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
King Vs Acl bearings, give us your experience

Hey boys (and girls?) I have always been curious about this. I know a LOT of great builders, including David Buscher, Tom from Tscomptuned, MAPerformance etc use acl's with great results, I am just very curious as to why not many people use the king bearings,

from my personal experience, the tri metal xp series bearings that king offers, with only one set I was able to get 0.0022" on the mains and 0.0026" on the rods, this is using mitutoyo mics and 0.0001" accuracy fowler dial bore gauge!

mind you this is a brand new crank with near PERFECT journal diameters, but still, thats pretty dead on consistent given I only used one set to get these clearences.

now I know that "they work, thats why everybody uses them", but I want to know if people on here have had a good/bad experience with king bearings, I know some major honda engine builders swear by these bearings, they are also very big in the subbie community, so please if you've had a good/bad expereience, let us know here
Old Oct 23, 2016, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things. Never used them myself so no first hand experience though.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The first 4g63 I built, kings were out of stock, and ACL's were available. So I used ACL. Didn't have an issue, so I just continued using them...lol. No real reasoning other than having had good luck with ACL's.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed. I went with ACL on my first build because of all the good reviews. When I took the engine apart, the bearings were pristine, so they are in my current build. I'd recommend them. I haven't tried Kings so no comparison there.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

I feel you! I have 6 sets of king bearings sitting on my shelves, but just ordered 4 sets of acl's, gonna give these a try now.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The first 4g63 I built, kings were out of stock, and ACL's were available. So I used ACL. Didn't have an issue, so I just continued using them...lol. No real reasoning other than having had good luck with ACL's.
yeah I feel you, if you have a good experience with something it would be odd to try something else, I totally get it
Old Oct 27, 2016, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
sad truth is factory bearings are best. but few use them. after market is just easier and cheaper.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
sad truth is factory bearings are best. but few use them. after market is just easier and cheaper.
This is the truth right here; really when you hear about bearing failures it's all about what the clearances were set at initially.

If you want a street car that will last a long time, I'd just go with OEM bearings.

This has been a consistent trend over most of the different platforms I've been on.

If you go with the high performance bearings, they WILL wear out faster and you will have to rebuild sooner.

Go OEM, build to the loosest end of the tolerance, and win. (For street car).

That being said, when I do Mazdaspeed builds (on like #5 or 6 I've helped organize), I will not discourage people from using Clevite or Kings bearings. They will last the typical 60k miles for high hp builds. If this is an end all motor for you though and just seeing moderate power and street (and you build your motor accordingly with tighter tolerances on the PWC) go with OEM and save yourself a headache.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 07:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I haven't put real mileage on aftermarket bearings, but I have torn down a few motors I've built in the 5k to 20k mile range, and bearings always look great. Motors that saw real abuse; desert racing and sand dunes, etc. Oil clearance the same, or within 1 or 2 ten-thousandths, as when the motor was assembled.

I can say I've seen plenty of both OEM and aftermarket bearings pounded and ruined from bad tuning, which is mostly too much timing.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Oct 27, 2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently have 9k on King bearings. My clearances were all even between mains and the rods. Each bearing was perfect with each other.