Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

rod bearing clearances, need help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rod bearing clearances, need help!

i need advice on rod bearing oil clearance, i have a stock 4g63 crank which spun a bearing.

now after polishing it and with new standard size ACL bearings the clearence is .003

is this fine or should it be tighter? can i run the car like this or do i need to cut the crank and get oversize bearings.

i really hope i can get away with this clearence, what do you guys think?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
He bud, I just finished my build, so I know the feeling! Truth is you will get many answers. Even though it will be in the same ballpark of clearences, you need to determine that cars use and ultimately your ideal clearence.

few questions for ya, are you using an outside micrometer for the journals and a dial bore gauge for the rods with bearings installed? Or are you doing the plastigauge old school way?

On my setup, I ended up with 0.0022-0.0024" on my mains, and 0.0026" on all my rods, i used king xp series bearings and hd a brand new billet uncut crank. All my main journals measured out to 2.2437" and my rod journals about 1.7731" or so (off top of my head)

anyway I would personally say 0.003" is a little too loose. Depending on other factors you might be fighting oil pressure issues, that last thing you want is for the oil pump to not make enough flow at high rpm and have that loose bearing grap. This is just my personal opinion, This is given you ARE using correct measuring equipment.

-Roni
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
I would agree, out of spec and crank bearings do not go together.

If it was an old school chevy or daily driver stock civic. It would be ok no boost no high load.

Now on a evo i wouldnt risk it. Everytime you do a pull its gonna be in the back of your head.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You need a new crank, or you need to cut it .010 and get oversize bearings. Rod bearings should be in the 2-2.5 thou range.

You COULD resize the rods, but I would not recommend that.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^this ....what did the machine shop tell you? How much did they take off and what are the clearances? Sounds like you polished out the scuff marks and are trying to fit bearings---that's not going to work.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 07:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
The journal will be out of round....they always are.
Needs a grind and undersize bearings.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by roni4g63
He bud, I just finished my build, so I know the feeling! Truth is you will get many answers. Even though it will be in the same ballpark of clearences, you need to determine that cars use and ultimately your ideal clearence.

few questions for ya, are you using an outside micrometer for the journals and a dial bore gauge for the rods with bearings installed? Or are you doing the plastigauge old school way?

On my setup, I ended up with 0.0022-0.0024" on my mains, and 0.0026" on all my rods, i used king xp series bearings and hd a brand new billet uncut crank. All my main journals measured out to 2.2437" and my rod journals about 1.7731" or so (off top of my head)

anyway I would personally say 0.003" is a little too loose. Depending on other factors you might be fighting oil pressure issues, that last thing you want is for the oil pump to not make enough flow at high rpm and have that loose bearing grap. This is just my personal opinion, This is given you ARE using correct measuring equipment.

-Roni
thanks for the response pal! i used the plastigauge to check it, i dont have a micrometer.

i read other forums aswell and they also say .003 is loose, so now my other option is to cut the crank and get oversize bearings.

there's no point in running this loose of a gap only to have oil pressure issues or spiining a bearing again.

thanks again!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You need a new crank, or you need to cut it .010 and get oversize bearings. Rod bearings should be in the 2-2.5 thou range.

You COULD resize the rods, but I would not recommend that.
thanks! i'll cut the crank and get oversize bearings
Old Nov 24, 2016, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Plastigauge is very inacurate, you may have 0.002" actual clearence or 0.004" no one knows until you mic it, either get the proper equipment and cry a little (like i did) or buy a new crank for peace of mind, regardless any builder will recommend you buy the proper tools. Hope that helps ya brother
Old Sep 14, 2017, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bearing rods

Hi...im now in the middle of building 2.0LR spec...piston wiseco CR 9:1..rods 156 manley..kings bearing ...evo 8 crank..turbine gt35 ..my concern is on the bearing clearence for main and rods..finally what is the best for it ?..thinking of revving 9krpm with liqui moly 10w60 oil engine...and i will fit in the new oil pump..and coworth oil scrapper in oil pan...my worry is on bearing durability..need advise..
The following users liked this post:
ArZem's garage (Mar 19, 2024)
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For high revving ud want to focus on the rods and rod bolts, I would do pro h rods with Carr bolts, will also be better on the bearings, your choice of crank is perfect stay stock.
Idk what your intentions are but I'm guessing a highway monster but not strip/drag because non aluminum rods, and CR?
I'd go with 10.5:1 w/ upgraded wrist pins and of course E85, I would also stay SLR. Just my opinion.
If your far into build upgrade your rod bolts 625+
​Good on scrapper but also focus on a mod that will keep your strainer in oil at high hp pulls, your rotating assembly will thank you.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by tauro91
For high revving ud want to focus on the rods and rod bolts, I would do pro h rods with Carr bolts, will also be better on the bearings, your choice of crank is perfect stay stock.
Idk what your intentions are but I'm guessing a highway monster but not strip/drag because non aluminum rods, and CR?
I'd go with 10.5:1 w/ upgraded wrist pins and of course E85, I would also stay SLR. Just my opinion.
If your far into build upgrade your rod bolts 625+
​Good on scrapper but also focus on a mod that will keep your strainer in oil at high hp pulls, your rotating assembly will thank you.
thanks mate.
Noted with that...my aim is highway monster haha..
for piston...ive brought the wiseco LR set cr 9:1 which i can't change anymore...
only that now thinking, what is the best main crank and conrod bearing clearence for this spec to rev 9krpm ?..mind to advise me...tq
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Bearing clearance and PTW are determined by the power you expect to make. The kind of use the engine will see also has a factor in the PTW.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 04:43 AM

Main and rod bearing clearence

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Bearing clearance and PTW are determined by the power you expect to make. The kind of use the engine will see also has a factor in the PTW.
any chance to those that has achieved the setup to share the spec ..especially on your bearing clearence?..
tq in advance.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently purchased a set of Manley Turbo Tuff Rods and inside the the box they had a sticker attached recommending ACL or Clevite bearings.

What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: rod bearing clearances, need help!