Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best "push" type clutch that holds 600 wtq?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best "push" type clutch that holds 600 wtq?

I have a built evo with an Exedy tripple plate clutch HR edition with the heavier pressure plate. The issues I have with this clutch are a real heavy pedal feel and loud chatter. I do have the standard pressure plate which im sure will help lighten the pedal feel (not sure by how much) but im concerned if it will be enough.

Prior to the exedy I had an carbonetics twin carbon which was nice but went out early due to install and other errors. That clutch felt good due to it being a push type. since I will be having to remove the transmission, I want to make the right decision.

My options right now are to just replace the pressure plate with the standard version or swap the clutch for an ATS twin carbon (i believe they bought out carbonetics) or comp twin plate clutch. I don't really know of any other push type clutches that are good but i'd like to get everyone's opinions on whether to just replace the pressure plate on the exedy or swap to a push type clutch and which one. Appreciate the help.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
carbonetic was relabeling ATS clutches. they are same clutch. in my experience nothing comes close to how good the carbon clutches are. I had ATS twin in my evo one for 3 years. I put 20k city miles on the clutch. the plates look like the day they were installed. only .002 worn off each disc.

I have driven the triple in an evo 8. it is a good bit smoother than the twin. holds a good bit more than the twin. best clutch you can get for the car if you ask me. carbon clutches do have a draw back. they are not durable until broken in. the break in takes 2000 street miles. not kidding either. when broken in proper the disc will have mirror like finish. from then the lasticity of the friction material is unparalleled.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I remember that the carbonetics was the only clutch that i was happy with. I just forget how the chatter compared to the exedy. After searching on ATS's website, seems like they have a series 2 that is supposed to provide more power holding ability and less pedal effort plus the built in conversion is nice on these clutches.

Was the triple you are talking about an ATS or Exedy? Would you recommend replacing with the ATS or keeping the exedy and do the ams pull to push conversion? If you recommend going the ATS route, I would definitely like to get your feedback on the proper break in as i believe the was one of the reasons why my original one went out so quick.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

ATS carbon blows away Exedy carbon. There is not one good report anywhere on an exedy carbon. Just not in the same league as the ATS. cant really comment on break in. Other than most who buy these clutches do not break them in correctly. drag cars that buy them dont have a chance in hell to get that mirror finish on the discs that I am talking about. It is an incredibly long wearing friction material. as such it takes a long time to get the surface broken in smooth. The difficulty with giving a mileage for breakin period is that two cars may put 2000 miles on their cars. one car shifts 100 times. the other shifts 1000 miles to get there.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
So whats the procedure? Just no boost for 2k?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, I've had an old Carbonetic single disk "Blade" clutch in my Evo 8 for at LEAST 5 years. 3+ years of that were as a daily driver. It can be finicky if it gets a little heat in it. The warmer the material is, the stronger the chatter and greater the holding capacity.

Paired with the Exedy HD pressure plate, it was only claimed to be good for about 450 crank hp and around 400 crank tq. I've been making 440-450 whp and 375 wtq for a little while now with no signs of slipping - not even close. I don't drag race my car though. I'm not sure how well a single or dual disk clutch of this material would fair during repeated launches at 600 wtq.

I know my clutch wouldn't hold 600 wtq but as far as the material, Carbonetic made a GREAT clutch and it sounds like ATS continued the tradition.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redSLed
FWIW, I've had an old Carbonetic single disk "Blade" clutch in my Evo 8 for at LEAST 5 years. 3+ years of that were as a daily driver. It can be finicky if it gets a little heat in it. The warmer the material is, the stronger the chatter and greater the holding capacity.

Paired with the Exedy HD pressure plate, it was only claimed to be good for about 450 crank hp and around 400 crank tq. I've been making 440-450 whp and 375 wtq for a little while now with no signs of slipping - not even close. I don't drag race my car though. I'm not sure how well a single or dual disk clutch of this material would fair during repeated launches at 600 wtq.

I know my clutch wouldn't hold 600 wtq but as far as the material, Carbonetic made a GREAT clutch and it sounds like ATS continued the tradition.
Most people dont even know what the carbon blade clutch is. Not many on the forums gave the clutch a try. Curt Brown used the pro version on his last evo 8 build. the car ran a 2.3 with all three FP turbos. green, red and black. He claimed the clutch was the best clutch he ever tried. It held the 2.3 fp black on e85 power. however it was not strong enough to hold the launch on even the green turbo. The pro version was a billet cover push version. but used the same 4 puc carbon spring center disk.
I have used the standard blade with ACT pressure plate. The clutch drives excellent. Shifts are nothing short a fabulous as the disc is so light. Shifts better than exedy twin. really good clutch given its launch limitations

Name:  004-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  91.8 KB
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

I love this clutch. I feel like it will last forever at this point, the way I drive. You're right, very few people went after it and they missed out. It shifts much better than stock and better than the Exedy stage 1 organic that I had. The car's never shifted better at high rpm with the carbon blade and Redline MT85.

If and when this one dies, I'll be grabbing an ATS equivalent of the Super Blade model which it looks like they make.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe;11704282[URL=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/lancerman/media/iv%20build/004-1.jpg.html
[/URL]
may you post a link for more info on the clutch disc your holding?

TIA
Old Jan 27, 2017, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
may you post a link for more info on the clutch disc your holding?

TIA
Here is a link to a little more info on these clutches. The Carbonetic Blade clutch which came default with and Exedy HD pp is no longer in production but the lineup seems to live on more or less unchanged in the form of ATS (Active Traction Service). I'll definitely be grabbing another once mine finally kicks it. It's been in my car for at least 5 years now and who knows how many miles. Probably 30,000+ of daily driving and the occasional rippage. http://www.ppi-ats.com/Carbon_blade_...de_clutch.html

Last edited by redSLed; Jan 27, 2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: forgot link!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Most people dont even know what the carbon blade clutch is. Not many on the forums gave the clutch a try. Curt Brown used the pro version on his last evo 8 build. the car ran a 2.3 with all three FP turbos. green, red and black. He claimed the clutch was the best clutch he ever tried. It held the 2.3 fp black on e85 power. however it was not strong enough to hold the launch on even the green turbo. The pro version was a billet cover push version. but used the same 4 puc carbon spring center disk.
I have used the standard blade with ACT pressure plate. The clutch drives excellent. Shifts are nothing short a fabulous as the disc is so light. Shifts better than exedy twin. really good clutch given its launch limitations
This clutch won't hold up to launches even with the ACT pressure plate on it?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redSLed
Here is a link to a little more info on these clutches. The Carbonetic Blade clutch which came default with and Exedy HD pp is no longer in production but the lineup seems to live on more or less unchanged in the form of ATS (Active Traction Service). I'll definitely be grabbing another once mine finally kicks it. It's been in my car for at least 5 years now and who knows how many miles. Probably 30,000+ of daily driving and the occasional rippage. http://www.ppi-ats.com/Carbon_blade_...de_clutch.html
Aby, the current ATS pull version looks the same as what carbonetic was selling. the pro version however is different. the carbonetic retained the 4 puck. I think the triple would take huge hit in smoothness of take off. I have a NIB carbonetic pro version that I could sell. I bought it when I heard curts comments on the clutch. was going to switch it out when I built the engine. my friend owns the car now and wants to use a triple in the car. so I have no use for it.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Jan 28, 2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
This clutch won't hold up to launches even with the ACT pressure plate on it?
the pro version pressure plate is billet. it clamps harder than a steel plate. so no the ACT plate wont hold more. I heard the standard version was sold with exedy stage 1 plate. I wanted a little more than that.
The following users liked this post:
IzzyRS (Jan 28, 2017)
Old Jan 28, 2017, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

That's correct. My Carbonetic Blade does indeed come with an Exedy stage 1 HD pressure plate. No issues here. Noticeably heavier than stock.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the info 94AWDcoupe & redSLed.

am i understanding you guys correctly, that i would be able to use this disc with an oem flywheel & act pp for example?

94AWDcoupe, what coefficient of friction # do you use when comparing ceramic to carbon? i see a wide variety on-line, not sure what to believe.

i really like the way my current exedy twin behaves, with the std cover that i bought from 94AWDcoupe.

pedal effort is stock like & modulation is great, plus it holds 480/500wtq-DJ#'s

It just doesnt care for lots of stop n go traffic, especially if im caught on a hill.... so not sure how the thin plate = PP02 will last in the twin....

so im looking for options

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Jan 28, 2017 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Best "push" type clutch that holds 600 wtq?