Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff Won't Line Up

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rear Diff Won't Line Up

Hello,

Just re-stacked my rear diff and replaced the support mount bushings and mustache bar bushings while I was at it but now I can't get it bolted back up.

I have one side bolted up and threaded a minimum amount to stay in but the other side is about a few milometers from lining up. I'm assuming with the rubber mounts on the mustache bar it would have left some play but these stiff poly ones are not budging.

Just curious if anyone else has come across this, Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 09:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Leave everything kind of loose until you get ALL the started really well. Then tighten it all up.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Leave everything kind of loose until you get ALL the started really well. Then tighten it all up.

Thanks for the input but that's what I had been doing. It's still not even close when I use another person without threading them up.

I even went as far as losing the rear subframe and the cast aluminum support above the diff that I am trying to bolt in to. There is alot of play now in everything but still nothing.

I'm about to take the bushings out and put OEM back in.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:27 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its just gonna be a *****. Even Energy bushing replacement says dont take all the off at one time . Ive dont it, its not fun but eventually itll go.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Are you sure everything is installed correctly? For the side mounts, their is a specific top and bottom bushing, and if you bought energy suspension bushings, their is also a specific top and bottom washer. Having either of these mismatched could cause an issue getting the bolts in.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 04:11 PM

Yup, I've got the bigger one with the smaller washer on the bottom and the smaller bushing and bigger washer on top. While confirming per the instructions I did notice that the instructions are for when the diff is still in the car and to do one by one and not tighten the side mounts to the diff until everything is secured.

Differential Carrier Bushings:With the mustache bar and subframe secure, take off one diff carrier bracket. ONLY DO ONE AT A TIME! This provides support for the differential.Remove one bracket. Using a press, remove the bushing. This time, use two sleeves (pressing sleeve O.D. Smaller than 1.760”, receiving sleeve I.D. Bigger than 1.760”) Install Energy Suspension bushings, sleeves and washers per diagram below. No grease needed. The bushing with big flange #2560 goes on the bottom with the thin washer # 15.03.16.39.Install bracket and all bolts but do not tighten yet, wait until other side is done and then tighten all bolts to factory specifications.
Thanks for the lead.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 04:53 PM

Well the diff is back in the car now, and it turned out to be that I had the side supports on the diff torqued to spec before putting the bolts that go into the upper cast piece started.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Old Apr 5, 2017, 01:43 AM

Yeah not sure how that didn't register and apply to the supports. Thanks for the help though.