Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can't idle, but can hold higher RPM's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:07 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't idle, but can hold higher RPM's

Hi all,

I wanted to ask here if anyone has seen this before so I can rule some things out!

Basically the engine won't idle. I can hold it at 2Krpm+, but if I try to let it idle it just dies. Here are some details:

- Brand new stroker 2.3L engine build
- Speed density
- E85 fuel
- 2000cc ID injectors
- stock throttle body

Fuel and oil pressure are excellent, and if I hold the RPM's I can get it up to operating temps no problem. However, it will not idle when cold OR at operating temps.

I have replaced the IACV since I thought it was that. No help. As a last resort we unwound the BISS to it's max (so it should be idling high), but still made no difference.

I checked the exhaust cam angle sensor, and it's perfectly placed. Checked timing, and seems good too.

At a complete loss so far as to why it won't idle. Not sure if it could have anything to do with the ignition system, though I'd expect I wouldn't be able to hold higher RPM's if that were the case.

One thing to note is that I tried the IACV test (remove it, and watch it as you turn the key to on), and BOTH the old one AND the new one don't visibly move. If I hold the IACV I can feel it "buzz" slightly, but it doesn't move. The videos I've seen of other people doing this test show the stepper motor visibly moving several millimeters when the key is turned to on, so I'm not sure why mine doesn't move. Since both old and new behaved the same I assumed it's fine though (unless that indicates some other issue?)

Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!

S.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:47 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Solved.. I forgot to bypass the injector resistor pack! These ID injectors needed it, but my old R/C ones didn't, and it slipped my mind. 10 minutes later, idling without issues!

Thanks to Tom @ tscomptuned for pointing it out... He's an awesome tuner - I mean how many tuners would respond to you at 2AM their time (and get it right, too)??

Thanks!

S.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That's awesome the fix was super easy. Besides the resistor bypass,. Is there anything that needed to be adjusted in the map?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 04:53 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Nah, Tom already had the map set, which is why it was odd it wasn't working... as soon as I fixed the bypass, everything was good. I do need to calibrate the BISS (since I messed with it in my exploration), but that's minor.

Thanks!

S.