Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Valve seals or turbo seals? White smoke & oil burn smell

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Valve seals or turbo seals? White smoke & oil burn smell

Alright you guys are going to kill me with all the thread I've been making recently but I swear it's been one thing after another lately.

So I have just recently started noticing an oil burning smell and I'm also noticing a little bit of white smoke but mostly only in the morning after it warms up. After it warms up it either stops smoking or is smoking so little that I can't notice it. Car still "feels" fast. Everything runs fine. No oil in tail pipe (there is a black carbon buildup, but that's just from it running a little rich at the moment I believe).

Oil and coolant levels haven't dropped at all.

I was told to unbolt the exhaust manifold and pull it towards radiator, and swipe my finger in one of the ports and if there is oil then that means valve seals are bad?

Anyways I am just looking for suggestions at this point. Car is 06 Evo 9. 54k miles. FP Red that was freshly rebuilt less than 4-5k miles ago. Stock block, kelford 272 cams with stock valvetrain.

I really started noticing it after switching to speed density 2 weeks ago. I put an STM Intake on the car and it didn't have a pcv bung so we left my factory pcv hose (drivers side vc) just dangling. I doubt it had anything to do with this but worth noting?
Old May 16, 2017, 11:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Actually it's good you mentioned that last part. It may very well be the cause of your problem. Crank case issues can cause oil to be forced back up the turbo oil return line and burn under high boost (or even cruise in some cases). Before the STM intake, you were sucking air out of the valve cover using your previous intake which would reduce crank case pressure. The solution is to find another way to pull a vacuum on your valve cover or enlarge the driver side valve cover opening to fit a -10AN fitting where it would vent pressure better, just as TScomptuned has done. You may also want to look into STM's sealed catch can kit, but that's $$$. How much boost are you currently running?
Old May 16, 2017, 11:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The PCV line is exactly the issue. I suggest modifiying the valve cover to accept a 1/2" NPT fitting. The get a 1/2" NPT to 5/8" hose barb fitting, weld a 5/8" hose barb to the intake (or 1/2" npt bung and use a 1/2" NPT to 5/8" hose barb adapter), and connect them with 5/8" pcv hose. This will greatly increase crank case ventilation. Which these cars need.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; May 16, 2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
Actually it's good you mentioned that last part. It may very well be the cause of your problem. Crank case issues can cause oil to be forced back up the turbo oil return line and burn under high boost (or even cruise in some cases). Before the STM intake, you were sucking air out of the valve cover using your previous intake which would reduce crank case pressure. The solution is to find another way to pull a vacuum on your valve cover or enlarge the driver side valve cover opening to fit a -10AN fitting where it would vent pressure better, just as TScomptuned has done. You may also want to look into STM's sealed catch can kit, but that's $$$. How much boost are you currently running?
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The PCV line is exactly the issue. I suggest modifiying the valve cover to accept a 1/2" NPT fitting. The get a 1/2" NPT to 5/" hose barb fitting, weld a 5/8" hose barb to the intake, and connect them with 5/8" hose. This will greatly increase crank case ventilation. Which these cars need.

Oh wow! I didn't think about that at all. I wish my tuner would have mentioned that being a possible issue. Anyways; since then I did ditch the stm intake and I put a ets intake on there with the pcv. I hooked the hose back up to it. However it I'm still noticing smoke. Is it likely it's too late and damage has already been done to the turbo?

By the way I'm running 28psi on the fp red. E85
Old May 16, 2017, 01:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
You'll know what's wrong when you pull out the sparkplugs, number them, take a photo.

Put the photo up on here.

It's NOT the PCV system, it never is but you can easily modify PCV systems to hide the real problem.

It's like burying your head in the sand and telling yourself that there's nothing wrong.
Old May 16, 2017, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

I checked the plugs last night. They were brand new as of last week and they looked fine to me? But I will pull them again tonight and post a picture.
Old May 16, 2017, 02:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
You'll know what's wrong when you pull out the sparkplugs, number them, take a photo.

Put the photo up on here.

It's NOT the PCV system, it never is but you can easily modify PCV systems to hide the real problem.

It's like burying your head in the sand and telling yourself that there's nothing wrong.

Shut up. Go away.

Originally Posted by Bmurray
I checked the plugs last night. They were brand new as of last week and they looked fine to me? But I will pull them again tonight and post a picture.

Do not listen to Fred, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Turbo's don't have "seals". They have gas rings that work on differential pressure. The only way they really get damaged is bearing failure (you would notice the comp wheel touching the housing), or over speeding the turbo, by a lot. Which would also likely result in bearing failure. Currently, crank case pressure is too high. You need to rectify this. Depending on what intake you had before, theire could have been more vacuum in the intake pipe vs the better flowing ETS intake.
Old May 16, 2017, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Shut up. Go away.

Turbo's don't have "seals". They have gas rings that work on differential pressure. The only way they really get damaged is bearing failure (you would notice the comp wheel touching the housing), or over speeding the turbo, by a lot. Which would also likely result in bearing failure. Currently, crank case pressure is too high. You need to rectify this. Depending on what intake you had before, theire could have been more vacuum in the intake pipe vs the better flowing ETS intake.
So what would you suggest? The factory hose fit perfect on the ets intake inlet. Do I need to get a larger drivers side pcv hose?
Old May 16, 2017, 02:57 PM
EvoM Guru

The PCV line is exactly the issue. I suggest modifiying the valve cover to accept a 1/2" NPT fitting. The get a 1/2" NPT to 5/8" hose barb fitting, weld a 5/8" hose barb to the intake (or 1/2" npt bung and use a 1/2" NPT to 5/8" hose barb adapter), and connect them with 5/8" pcv hose. This will greatly increase crank case ventilation. Which these cars need.

So what would you suggest? The factory hose fit perfect on the ets intake inlet. Do I need to get a larger drivers side pcv hose?
I already posted what to do..
Old May 16, 2017, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

I already posted what to do..
Oh I missed that the first time, Sorry. But thank you.
Old May 16, 2017, 03:36 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Shut up. Go away.
What is it with that guy?
Old May 16, 2017, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
What is it with that guy?

+2
Old May 16, 2017, 03:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Idk. According to him every single issue with an evo is either fuel pressure, or the motor is burning/consuming oil through valve seals or rings...lol. Never anything else.
Old May 16, 2017, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

So if I can get this crankcase pressure issue solved, will / should my problem go away? Is there a good chance I have done damage to the turbo by leaving that pcv ki ne unhooked for roughly a week? Like I said, car still pulls hard and boosts normal.

I appreciate the spoon feeding. This is just my first "somewhat high" hp FI car. And I just want to keep it running top notch.
Old May 16, 2017, 03:59 PM
EvoM Guru

So if I can get this crankcase pressure issue solved, will / should my problem go away? Is there a good chance I have done damage to the turbo by leaving that pcv ki ne unhooked for roughly a week? Like I said, car still pulls hard and boosts normal.

I appreciate the spoon feeding. This is just my first "somewhat high" hp FI car. And I just want to keep it running top notch.
1. It can go away, but there are too many variables in cars like these to be sure. Best thing to do is try it and see if the problem is fixed.

2. No, Your turbo won't sustain damage like that.

Quick Reply: Valve seals or turbo seals? White smoke & oil burn smell