Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging

Old May 22, 2008, 08:04 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging

for a good while now my exedy twin disc clutch has been dragging...I go to put it in 1st gear and the car wants to lunge forward with the clutch pedal on the floor or shifts are difficult to make without getting locked out etc.. I keep adjusting the clutch pedal rod out and that works temporarily but after some hard runs it's back to the same old and now I'm completely out of adjustment, I can't turn the rod any further without it falling out.

The strange thing is that after a hard run it's worse and I've also noticed that if I can't get into 1st gear I can pump the pedal several times and it's easier to get into gear and the other gears aren't as notchy.

Last night I bled the clutch fluid and ran an entire tall bottle through it to make sure there was fresh fluid with no air or water in it. I adjusted the pedal to normal and allowed about a half inch or so of free play. I couldn't even get it into gear with the engine running. I kept adjusting the pedal until I could get it into gear and once again it's at the very end of the adjustment and slightly notchy.

I'm out of ideas so let me know if anyone has experienced this and resolved it.

thanks - Chris
Old May 22, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this before on my 9 MR. The clutch was adjusted all the way out (same as yours) and was very hard to get into gear from a stop. I could not get it to completely disengage. To be honest, I took it out and sold the car. I have reinstalled it in my 8, but haven't tried it out yet since the car is not running. Good luck finding a solution.
Old May 22, 2008, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

welcome to the world of metallic double discs.. The hotter it gets the worse it is where as carbon works better as it gets hot..price though is the killer..
Old May 22, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
for a good while now my exedy twin disc clutch has been dragging...I go to put it in 1st gear and the car wants to lunge forward with the clutch pedal on the floor or shifts are difficult to make without getting locked out etc.. I keep adjusting the clutch pedal rod out and that works temporarily but after some hard runs it's back to the same old and now I'm completely out of adjustment, I can't turn the rod any further without it falling out.

The strange thing is that after a hard run it's worse and I've also noticed that if I can't get into 1st gear I can pump the pedal several times and it's easier to get into gear and the other gears aren't as notchy.

Last night I bled the clutch fluid and ran an entire tall bottle through it to make sure there was fresh fluid with no air or water in it. I adjusted the pedal to normal and allowed about a half inch or so of free play. I couldn't even get it into gear with the engine running. I kept adjusting the pedal until I could get it into gear and once again it's at the very end of the adjustment and slightly notchy.

I'm out of ideas so let me know if anyone has experienced this and resolved it.

thanks - Chris
This was my issue:

I had very similar issues. Mine got to the point where I had to turn the car off mid traffic put it in gear and turn the car back on.

Resolution. New clutch discs. I managed to get 35k on the original discs. I wasted money on a brand new clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, new bleeder valve, a couple bottles of brake fluid.

They exedy discs don't have a long life, but grab and feel great when in good condition.
Old May 22, 2008, 08:48 AM

When my shop installed it for me, they said things like this happen, especially when the clutch gets hot and they did something to prevent it: they grinded about half a milimeter from the gaps shown in the picture below:
Attached Thumbnails can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging-ex.jpg  

Last edited by jeff_ro; May 22, 2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old May 22, 2008, 11:46 AM
Account Disabled

I'm going to have the short block and head out to ship off to BR soon anyway so I've got to make a clutch decision...

1) fix the existing twin disc if it's trashed
2) upgrade the existing twin to a tripple
3) tilton carbon twin (leaning to this)

I'm hoping to be making way more power soon, I want to max the 35R out eventually so I don't know if I should even be concerned with this one.

I just don't want to buy a new clutch and have the same issues. I guess I'll know more when I get it out but I was hoping to get some feedback so I'll know what to prepare for.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

if you have the $$$ there is only 1 clutch that nobody can touch IMO.. Tilton Carbon!!!
Old May 22, 2008, 12:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
if you have the $$$ there is only 1 clutch that nobody can touch IMO.. Tilton Carbon!!!
I'm about to drop the coin for the built motor and head and I'm still trying to decide on which intake mani (might rock my stock ported in the mean time) so adding a tilton twin carbon to that order is going to hurt bad but I might be able to swing it.

also I still have the stock transmission and motormounts so I need to figure out what to do there as well.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
I'm going to have the short block and head out to ship off to BR soon anyway so I've got to make a clutch decision...

1) fix the existing twin disc if it's trashed
2) upgrade the existing twin to a tripple
3) tilton carbon twin (leaning to this)

I'm hoping to be making way more power soon, I want to max the 35R out eventually so I don't know if I should even be concerned with this one.

I just don't want to buy a new clutch and have the same issues. I guess I'll know more when I get it out but I was hoping to get some feedback so I'll know what to prepare for.
seeing that you already have the exedy...if it is the discs that's pretty much the only thing you will have to replace from time to time. How many miles do you have on your twin? $500 for the 2 discs / $1500 for a new setup. Tilton is badass, however, very aggressive.

- Jeff
Old May 22, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Save for the Tilton!

I rebuilt my twin into a tripple and now regret it. Clutch release is very high on the stroke. Not to mention the pedal feels extremely soft. I am not expecting this to last all that long.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:32 PM
Account Disabled

no doubt the exedy is the less painful route money wise but I'm dead serious when I say I'm going to ring the 35R out and I don't want any problems from a clutch holding me up.

I might have the exedy twin freshened up, sell that and put it towards the tilton twin carbon and be done with it.
Old May 22, 2008, 03:52 PM
Account Disabled

I've also had similar problems. Especially if I'm in traffic or if I'm coming into a turn and I want to down shift into 3rd. It won't engage at all with the clutch pedal all the way in. I found that bringing the revs up a little prevents this. By the way I'm downshifting at very slow speeds when this happens. If I'm downshifting or upshifting at speed then I have no problems at all.
Old May 22, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Mine does this from time to time as well. The only gear I really have trouble with is third when downshifting, of course..after the clutch is hot. This is just the nature of a metallic disc.
Old May 22, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

my triple did the samething after i put it in, i couldnt adjust it anymore.... then it stopped
Old May 22, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

if your not getting enough disengagement with the pedal to the floor you may need to shim out the pivot ball that the fork sits on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can't get clean shifts, exedy twin disc clutch dragging