Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

About to pull my trans.

Old May 31, 2017, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to pull my trans.

Like the title says, about to pull my trans due to internal issues. Bought the car about two years ago and been fixing small issues from the previous owner.. Like zip ties holding the exhaust hangers up. hack job of a battery relocation. Anyway I always had a grind in the trans in 5th gear, and the trans was hard to shift and made it frustrating to drive.
Car has a Exedy twin disc in it but something failed to where the car wouldn't start. Figured it was a starter, got it tested 5x. All times came back good. bought a new just to be safe. Put a new one in car started right up...but sounded like a grind like the starter was hitting something. Then I saw a chunk of metal under my car and car didn't want to shift at all unless rev matching. Any ideas what I should be looking for. was going to check out the clutch and if need be buy a rebuild kit. And get the trans built. But was looking for a kit to where I can have a shop by me that I know the owner of redo it.

Was also thinking of getting a oem shifter ( currently have a works short shifter)
new cables
new bushings

What do you guys think the issie is and what route I should do?? Thanks
Old May 31, 2017, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
There's no kit for the transmission I've ever heard of. Instead, your mechanic will be ordering parts from Mitsubishi all summer or give you back a junk transmission.

Instead, I'd suggest you ship the transmission to one of the major rebuilders. Get a stock flywheel, stock clutch and with the shifting problems all solved, sort any other problems. To do this you are probably looking at (just a guess) $2500.

The fancy clutches all have their problems. Drive on the stocker until it goes.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have to rev-match to shift, something is wrong with the clutch. It's not disengaging for some reason. Starter grinding during starting, look to the flywheel for worn teeth. Might have been the metal you found.

Kit for trans rebuild? Contact Jacks Transmissions. You can find kits on their website Also recommend if Jacks doesn't list it, carbon syncros from SyncroTech.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok thanks, will be getting it out this weekend.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Since the transmission is going to be out for a little while, how good is your memory? If your are an expert mechanic ignore this. Otherwise, here's a suggestion: you pull a lot of fasteners when pulling the transmission so I suggest buying a large package of styrofoam cups. Mark each cup as to where the fastener(s) are from. When you arrive at the bell housing the fasteners are several different lengths. Use a separate cup for each fastener marked with its location in the bell housing.