Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need some help on my evo 8

Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help on my evo 8

So i did something really stupid..havent had my evo 8 for long but i was having an issue with shifting into 4th gear at high rpm..one day driving home from work, a mustang was trying to race me..threw it into 3rd from fifth and as i go to switch into 4th, it locks me out..knowing that was gonna happen, i held it and tried to force it to 4th..as i felt it engage, i let go of clutch and boom the motor over revs and either it popped back into neutral or i put it back into neutral(happened so fast) but damage was done..car still drives and boosts fine but now car dies every time i step on clutch unless i rev it up a bit and theres a whine from transmission area..i lifted up the car and front passenger axle boots are torn..any ideas if its my transfer case or transmission or engine? Or all the above? Any suggestions or ideas?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Sounds like you downshifted into 2nd instead of 4th. If you did, that would explain why RPMs skyrocketed. I would check engine cylinder compressions to see if your valves are still on earth and need adjustments (I wonder if cams can get grooved from over revving). Change your torn cv axle for a rebuilt one just in case you grooved the joints. Try double clutching when shifting to help reduce the stress in your tranny and get that rebuilt (or replace with a used good IX tranny if you can find one). I can't think of why engine dies with clutch depressed. Try checking your boost/vacuum lines and test IAC on intake manifold, maybe something cracked with this jolt. Good luck!

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Jun 6, 2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Sounds like you downshifted into 2nd instead of 4th. If you did, that would explain why RPMs skyrocketed. I would check engine cylinder compressions to see if your valves are still on earth and need adjustments (I wonder if cams can get grooved from over revving). Change your torn cv axle for a rebuilt one just in case you grooved the joints. Try double clutching when shifting to help reduce the stress in your tranny and get that rebuilt (or replace with a used good IX tranny if you can find one). I can't think of why engine dies with clutch depressed. Try checking your boost/vacuum lines and test IAC on intake manifold, maybe something cracked with this jolt. Good luck!
thanks for the reply bro..it was definitely not a 2-3-2 shift..vacuum seems normal or at least its unchanged..car still reaches peak boost fine and holds..trying to source someone with a boost/vacuum leak test in my area but i absolutely know no one..im just hoping its something with the clutch..
Old Jun 7, 2017, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

I have no other ideas why it would overrev when you upshift. Even if RPMs drops back to idle in between shifts, once engaged, it shouldn't overrev. Anyway, when you press the clutch and engine dies, I would guess your IAC isn't working right. If you have a vacuum leak, your engine should still idle. Although, I recall reading about a leaky throttle plate causing idle problems.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, I'm wrong. If you have a vacuum leak, it could cause stalling. Build a boost leak tester (Home Depot plumbing section) by buying a plug to clamp to your throttlebody coupler (and buy tire valve to install on that cap). Pressurize it to 20 psi and look for leaks. Where in Cali are you?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-sealing.html
Old Jun 7, 2017, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Okay, I'm wrong. If you have a vacuum leak, it could cause stalling. Build a boost leak tester (Home Depot plumbing section) by buying a plug to clamp to your throttlebody coupler (and buy tire valve to install on that cap). Pressurize it to 20 psi and look for leaks. Where in Cali are you?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-sealing.html
I have two testers, where are you located? One I made and one I bought for about 40 bucks, best 40 bucks ive spent on this car, and it comes with a gauge!

I recall reading about a leaky throttle plate causing idle problems.
you recall correct
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
I have two testers, where are you located? One I made and one I bought for about 40 bucks, best 40 bucks ive spent on this car, and it comes with a gauge!

you recall correct
I'm in Anaheim if you're close an need a hand. Since you have the tester, you can do the leak test on your intake and get a bottle of soap water to spray around.

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Jun 7, 2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in Anaheim if you're close an need a hand. Since you have the tester, you can do the leak test on your intake and get a bottle of soap water to spray around.
I think you confused me with OP
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:17 PM

Lol..im in marysville which is located about 45min north of Sacramento
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
I think you confused me with OP
LMAO! I didn't notice you are not Perterxng. Sorry buddy!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peterxng
Lol..im in marysville which is located about 45min north of Sacramento
Time to shop at your nearest plumbing store. It would be easier if you can bring your throttlebody coupler with you to make sure you buy the correct cap size the first time.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

if you have stock turbo it should be 2.5in you need