Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil temp Increase under full throttle

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil temp Increase under full throttle

so I've been trying to deal with an issue lately that i can't seem to figure out. when i drive my car i have my oil temp increase while under boost and it increases enough that it is dropping my idle oil pressure to 0-8. It never holds 0 but i see it flicker on 0 every so often at idle. i changed out the oil cooler, oil cooler lines and gaskets, and oil filter housing and the housing seemed to help keep the idle oil pressure up but it would still hit 0 every once in awhile. I'm pushing around 20 psi on stock turbo with 108K miles. i was wondering what you guys might think it is. no metal in the oil as well btw. haven't dropped the oil pan yet ether to check the pick up. wondering if it is normal or if it's early signs of my turbo going bad or maybe i need thicker oil (running amsoil Z-rod 10w 30) because i am living in Hawaii. if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Check your compression on each cylinder and report back. A leak down test wouldn't hurt either.

Edit: what temp does it get up to? You never mentioned that.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, what temps are you seeing? And where is the oil pressure sensor located? If it's on the oil filter housing, are you using a remote line?

I've had enough oil pressure sensors go bad and give me a heart attack that my immediate suspicion is always that the sensor is dying before I start worrying about engine failure. Before you throw any more parts at it, it's worth your time to buy an oil pressure test kit (if you haven't already) and verify there's actually an oil pressure problem without relying on the gauge as the source of truth.